Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Valentine One Steering Column Controls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 05:37 PM
ilcul8r is on a distinguished road
Valentine One Steering Column Controls

Hi. Not sure anyone has come across this before but I bought a CPO'd '09 Cayenne GTS and after a few days or so of playing around and checking it out I noticed 1) That it has a Valentine One mirror, and 2) there is a rotary **** with an outer tab ring, and a separate rocker switch mounted in the bottom of the steering column. Now I initially thought the initial owner (who is unknown) had the head unit removed since the switches and the mirror did nothing. BUT one day I activated the button for the steering wheel/seat memory function when you exit and enter the vehicle and when the wheel retracted slightly the audible radar tone and the mirror lit up ! Whoa ! So, I thought "hey this is neat I've got a detector still in there somewhere."
Unfortunately when I readjusted the wheel further out audio died along with mirror. Then if I played with it and moved wheel almost all the way in toward the dash the audio returned, but still no mirror. Guys at local PCA club thought loose wire. Made sense so I figured out how to remove upper and lower column cover (actually pretty easy and you don't have to remove the steering wheel). Looks like they installed the remote V1 audio board sans the case with the volume/on off and mute volume **** through the column by hot gluing it in place and also that separate rocker switch.
One of the RJ11 plugs was loose and after reseating it the audio and mirror fired right up and stays that way no matter where the wheel is positioned.
However, the volume **** doesn't have the usual option to depress it to mute and I can't change the V1 mode either (it's in "L" which is advanced logic) . These aren't that big of a deal . BUT the rocker switch isn't doing anything . I thought it might mute or maybe even turn off the mirror display for night driving, but that's not happening either. Wire to it looked ok when I had cover off.
Sorry for long post but was wondering if anyone else has this type of setup.
p.s. The V1 works great, but I have no clue where the head unit is in the vehicle.
Thanks for any ideas.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Case Closed (almost)

Sooo, mystery finally solved (almost)....I decided to take the steering wheel covers off again and take another look at the wiring. 1) The reason the V1 mute/mode change wasn't working was because when I depressed the **** the card was moving just enough so it wouldn't depress all the way. This was due to one of the hot glue spots coming loose just enough to negate those functions. I re-glued the original spots and now it works like a champ. 2) After tracing the 2 conductor wire coming off that rocker switch I found the other end of it cut off and bundled up way, and I mean way up under the foot well on the driver's side. So whatever it was initially wired to is long gone. It apparently had nothing to do with the V1 detector in the first place.
The almost is I still haven't found the V1 base unit but given the headliner edge near the windshield above the driver is separated slightly from the clamps and I can see the feed wires going to the mirror I'm betting the base unit is up there somewhere as well. This would make sense given that the rear detection works just fine, and I know it's not in a headrest.
So, case closed.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:11 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
I have a V1 but I've never seen steering column controls. Any pictures you can post. By the way congrats on the ride and figuring out what was wrong with the V1. Mine has saved me many times.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by jdubbya
I have a V1 but I've never seen steering column controls. Any pictures you can post. By the way congrats on the ride and figuring out what was wrong with the V1. Mine has saved me many times.
Yes the GTS is a great vehicle, and I particularly like the color of this one which is Marine Blue Metallic (no longer available ) Here are a few shots of the controls and mirror. I would have taken pics of the inside of the bottom cover but since I've had it on and off 3 times I don't won't to tempt fate and snap off one of the two tabs on the upper cover. But looks like they simply cut a rectangle thru the sheet metal in the bottom cover, took the plastic cover off of the V1 remote audio box, drilled precise holes thru the steering wheel cover, and hot glued the V1 board directly to the bottom cover. [The infamous rocker switch is actually the one closest to the driver. ] The RJ-11 wires are feeding up the driver's A pillar and then across the headliner edge to the mirror, and as I said earlier I'll bet the base unit is up there somewhere. BTW, the auto dim on the mirror still works fine as well. All in all a pretty neat job. (You'll notice they even drilled a hole for the headphone jack)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150707_151223.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	423460   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150707_151417.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	908.1 KB
ID:	423464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150707_151434.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	938.0 KB
ID:	423468  
Old 07-08-2015, 01:57 AM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Hmm, looks like a pretty slick install!! Nice save fixing it!!