Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

4 wheel drive system faulty?

Old 07-24-2015, 02:16 PM
tancayenne is on a distinguished road
4 wheel drive system faulty?

I've been driving my car for the past few months with the occasional warning light that states that my 4 wheel drive system is faulty? Recently it has spiked to almost every time i turn on the car. It does not turn on immediately, but usually 20-30 minutes of driving. Is it a sensor issue or is it my battery?

ps: My battery gauge is broken so this is the only way to tell if it is low besides physically checking the battery.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:53 PM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
You didn't mention what year Cayenne you have.
I had this issue on the first Cayenne S (2005) I had & I ended up having to replace both batteries (under drivers seat & in back) & it cleared up this warning message and it never came back. I recently had to replace my battery on my 09 Turbo S (has only one battery), but it didn't give me the 4 wheel drive system is faulty warning light when the battery was bad.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:20 PM
tancayenne is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply! I have a 2006 cayenne s. I'll replace the batteries and that should clear it up.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:55 AM
hasanchal is on a distinguished road
do we need to erase the error codes on my porsche cayenne after changing the battery ? i ve changed the battery under the seat. the psm light in off but the 4 wheel dr faulty is still on and the Gear is not working anymore. any suggestions please ?

Old 09-11-2015, 02:34 PM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
In my case, on my older 2005 I had to change both batteries the fault didn't clear until I replace the one in the trunk. I didn't have to reset anything it just cleared once both batteries were changed. On my 2009 I didn't have any fault when the battery need to be changed. I don't know what model cayenne you have but if it is a 955 then try replacing the rear battery unless you KNOW that it is not bad. One battery is strictly for starting & the other one deals with the PCM & accessories....I just don't remember which is which since it has been too long ago. My 2009 has only one battery that does everything from under the seat.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:20 PM
hasanchal is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your reply. mine is a 2004 Cayenne S. I ve checked the battery in the trunk and it seems to be OK. The light is still on. I am afraid the Gearbox Actuator Distributor is going bad. I will change the battery in the trunk and see if it works. the problem happened when i left the radio on for like 1 hour. after i started the car the 4 wheel dr system faulty came on.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by hasanchal
Thank you for your reply. mine is a 2004 Cayenne S. I ve checked the battery in the trunk and it seems to be OK. The light is still on. I am afraid the Gearbox Actuator Distributor is going bad. I will change the battery in the trunk and see if it works. the problem happened when i left the radio on for like 1 hour. after i started the car the 4 wheel dr system faulty came on.
Prior to changing the battery, just disconnect it and let it sit for 30 mins. Then reconnect and see if fault cleared. It may reset. If fault comes back or doesn't clear I would change the battery, it's good preventative maintenance anyway.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
good maintenance is to read errors with PIWIS. low voltage can cause many errors, but to replace battery every time not an universal solution to any error.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Serg124
good maintenance is to read errors with PIWIS. low voltage can cause many errors, but to replace battery every time not an universal solution to any error.
Completely agree, but this fault condition is very commonly known as a result of a low battery and especially since he said he had his battery go dead from leaving the radio on, this would be a good starting point. Not everyone has a PIWIS handy and a dealer will charge more in most circomstanses to troubleshoot than you would spend by changing a battery that is already suspect. If the batteries where both say a year old, this would not be a proper suggestion, but chances are this is not the case. The rear battery swap resolve the same fault code in my situation, but that is not to say this is by any means the same. Just trying to help.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:39 PM
Big J is on a distinguished road
Had exactly the same problem with my 2006 Cayenne S. The battery under drivers seat was bad, had it replaced and no more warning lights.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:25 PM
PanameraRide is an unknown quantity at this point
I know this thread is old but wanted to post anyways in case someone can suggest something.
I have a 2010 Porsche Panamera 4S.

The All Wheel Drive system as well as PCM doesn't work. When I press down on the buttons, it pops up on my dashboard that its not available.
Also, the seat warmer and seat ventilator on ONLY the drivers side does not work as well.
Could this be a problem related to the faulty AWD and PCM problem?

As for battery, it hasn't been changed since I got the car 2 and a half years ago.

Help!

Old 07-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PanameraRide
I know this thread is old but wanted to post anyways in case someone can suggest something.
I have a 2010 Porsche Panamera 4S.

The All Wheel Drive system as well as PCM doesn't work. When I press down on the buttons, it pops up on my dashboard that its not available.
Also, the seat warmer and seat ventilator on ONLY the drivers side does not work as well.
Could this be a problem related to the faulty AWD and PCM problem?

As for battery, it hasn't been changed since I got the car 2 and a half years ago.

Help!
Did you post in the Panamera section? Other wise try replacing the battery. It's better to start their.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:35 PM
çŽ‹æ° is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by tancayenne
I've been driving my car for the past few months with the occasional warning light that states that my 4 wheel drive system is faulty? Recently it has spiked to almost every time i turn on the car. It does not turn on immediately, but usually 20-30 minutes of driving. Is it a sensor issue or is it my battery?

ps: My battery gauge is broken so this is the only way to tell if it is low besides physically checking the battery.
Same warning problems for my 2007 Cayenne S. At first the 4-wheel drive faulty warning popped up and stayed on until I used my MS906S diagnostic system to reset all the warnings. From then on, the 4-wheel drive faulty warning only pops up after 10-20 min of driving and occasionally the ABS faulty warning also pops up.
Now I’ve replaced the battery (not even the recommended Varta 920 110Ah but a 100Ah ACDelco that is a little shorter) and the problem appears gone.
I had ABS warming problem in the past in 3 occasions and had costed me dearly at Porsche dealers. I guess some may have also related to the need of replacing battery.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:44 PM
James Nmtribe is an unknown quantity at this point
4wd System Failure

Originally Posted by 王æ°
Same warning problems for my 2007 Cayenne S. At first the 4-wheel drive faulty warning popped up and stayed on until I used my MS906S diagnostic system to reset all the warnings. From then on, the 4-wheel drive faulty warning only pops up after 10-20 min of driving and occasionally the ABS faulty warning also pops up.
Now I’ve replaced the battery (not even the recommended Varta 920 110Ah but a 100Ah ACDelco that is a little shorter) and the problem appears gone.
I had ABS warming problem in the past in 3 occasions and had costed me dearly at Porsche dealers. I guess some may have also related to the need of replacing battery.

Hello Porsche friends, I am in need of some help. I own a 2004 Porsche Cayenne Base v6, I am getting a 4wd System Failure code and the vehicle is stuck in low gear? I replaced the 4wd switch, and checked the Transfer case motor which seems to be working. From what I've read it maybe wise to change the battery or batteries? I changed a blown fuse when this 4wd light came on. The fuse was for the driver rear door window which is now working. There are no more blown fuses. I've tried everything to get the Cayenne out of low gear. If I could please get some help it would be a god send.

Is there one or two batteries in the 2004 Porsche Cayenne Base V6? What else can I check or do to get the Cayenne out out low range-low gear?
104k on the vehicle 3rd owner.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:21 PM
toms is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by James Nmtribe
Hello Porsche friends, I am in need of some help. I own a 2004 Porsche Cayenne Base v6, I am getting a 4wd System Failure code and the vehicle is stuck in low gear? I replaced the 4wd switch, and checked the Transfer case motor which seems to be working. From what I've read it maybe wise to change the battery or batteries? I changed a blown fuse when this 4wd light came on. The fuse was for the driver rear door window which is now working. There are no more blown fuses. I've tried everything to get the Cayenne out of low gear. If I could please get some help it would be a god send.

Is there one or two batteries in the 2004 Porsche Cayenne Base V6? What else can I check or do to get the Cayenne out out low range-low gear?
104k on the vehicle 3rd owner.
could you solve the problem? I have the same problem, 4wd low speed fault lux active, new battery and it's still the same