Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

957 turbo, 958 CD looking better

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:50 PM
agentsmurf is on a distinguished road
957 turbo, 958 CD looking better

Hey there, I am finding it quite difficult to jump into a decent cayenne turbo. They seem to be quite variable in the engine department. I have driven 7 to date 3 of which whine terribly at idle, 2 have idles that rise and fall and I was told by Porsche that this is normal for the efi engine, seems wrong to me.

The lumpy idle whiny one is super quick at WOT, mint condition interior, engine worries me, very noisy at idle. 40k miles.

Titanium silver great interior, no noise at idle, not much power slow turbo spool also 40k miles. Lots of fault codes logged by previous owner. Suspect engine problem.

Anyway, to cut a long story shortish, either the cars have terrible interiors and accident damage or great condition bad engines.

I realize some things are fixable, just need some advise, is the turbo engine solid and most of these problems due to things like vacuum lines etc, I can't tell if the general variance in power between vehicles is worn engine or turbo type issues.

The prices are basically the same as a 2011 CD same milage, the 958 diesels are starting to look mighty good, but don't know if I will die from the lack of v8 tastiness filling my ears.

Can you guys share some of your experiences when purchasing your vehicles, preferably the guys who bought higher milage second hand vehicles.

Thanks again.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:23 PM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
The turbo models are Solid. The Whining noise you hear is from the PDCC system most likely. It kinda sounds like a bad power steering pump. Trust me it IS supposed to sound like that & it is normal. All the PDCC equipped Cayenne's sound like this. No worries from that.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:27 PM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
Lumpy idle could be a sign of cracked Coils. this is a common issue. They cost about $40 each & there are a total of 8, one connected to each spark plug. Change all 8 with the plugs every 40k miles and it will purr soft like a kitton. This is an issue on all V8 Cayenne's