Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Lowering Links - 2 Ways !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:40 PM
DLF
DLF is on a distinguished road
Lowering Links - 2 Ways !

I read Rampino's thread on https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ing-links.html and decided to give it a shot.

On having a look at the lowering links , I figured the components of the links shouldn't be that difficult to come by so I had a look around a few local suppliers and found the ball and socket joints at a supplier who supplies fittings for gas struts (like the kind used to hold up bonnets and boot lids) They cost about $5 each so the required 8 cost me about $40.

I sourced the 50mm M8 studs and nuts at a nut and bolt shop for a total cost of about $6 so total cost for lowering links about $46 or R500 in South African money.

lowering link components

So I had my links and started with the install.

When I had the first link out I realized it would be quite easy to 3d print a slightly longer version of the standard plastic link.

OEM link, partly dismantled

So I 3d printed a link about 5mm longer then the standard one (5mm was mentioned in Rampino's thread)

3d printed link (yellow) , 5mm longer than standard (black)

With a bit of difficulty all the fittings can be fitted to the 3d printed component.

The 5mm extension produces a noticeable drop in the suspension.

I didn't take a proper before pic, but managed to find an previous side view.
Both pics are at "normal" level. (Top pic is after)

Before and After

The 3d printed link will be strong enough as they really transfer very little load , but I'm not sure about durability. It may deteriorate with time. The material I used was PLA. I printed only 1 link and test fitted it on the front left corner. I have since removed it and fitted all metal ones instead.

The G-code file is about 4MB and the STL about 150kB.
PM me if you would like a copy of the file, as the file type cannot be attached to this post.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:42 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
How did this option last?

Did this break?

Old 10-06-2015, 09:58 AM
DLF
It won't break, there is very little stress on the link. Thic specific link will probably deteriorate after about a year as the PLA material I used is bio-degradable. If you printed it out of ABS it would probably last forever. It takes quite a while to print and I had already bought the stuff for the metal ones when I realised how easy the part would be to print. This was just "proof of concept". I printed only one link and test fitted it on the front left, I have since removed the printed link and fitted the metal ones all round.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:19 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Thanks for the explanation guy.

Seeing technology like this on the forum is really neat.

What printer did you use?

Old 10-07-2015, 09:18 AM
DLF
I used a "WANHAO Duplicator 4". If you're interested, I've also printed a oil filter removal tool for my Cayenne Turbo : https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lter-tool.html
and also a rear main seal installation tool for my Cayman S , it's somewhere in this thread : https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pressure+plate

Old 02-11-2022, 06:12 PM
W4TS0N is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Originally Posted by DLF
I read Rampino's thread on https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ing-links.html and decided to give it a shot.

On having a look at the lowering links , I figured the components of the links shouldn't be that difficult to come by so I had a look around a few local suppliers and found the ball and socket joints at a supplier who supplies fittings for gas struts (like the kind used to hold up bonnets and boot lids) They cost about $5 each so the required 8 cost me about $40.

I sourced the 50mm M8 studs and nuts at a nut and bolt shop for a total cost of about $6 so total cost for lowering links about $46 or R500 in South African money.

lowering link components

So I had my links and started with the install.

When I had the first link out I realized it would be quite easy to 3d print a slightly longer version of the standard plastic link.

OEM link, partly dismantled

So I 3d printed a link about 5mm longer then the standard one (5mm was mentioned in Rampino's thread)

3d printed link (yellow) , 5mm longer than standard (black)

With a bit of difficulty all the fittings can be fitted to the 3d printed component.

The 5mm extension produces a noticeable drop in the suspension.

I didn't take a proper before pic, but managed to find an previous side view.
Both pics are at "normal" level. (Top pic is after)

Before and After

The 3d printed link will be strong enough as they really transfer very little load , but I'm not sure about durability. It may deteriorate with time. The material I used was PLA. I printed only 1 link and test fitted it on the front left corner. I have since removed it and fitted all metal ones instead.

The G-code file is about 4MB and the STL about 150kB.
PM me if you would like a copy of the file, as the file type cannot be attached to this post.
Hey mate - wondering if you've got the STL's still floating around?

Thanks!
Dave

Old 02-15-2022, 12:24 AM
bobbyjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by W4TS0N
Hey mate - wondering if you've got the STL's still floating around?
I don't have STL's, but do have a set of stock links and am in Canberra too if you want to use those for dimensions etc?

Old 02-17-2022, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by bobbyjimmy
I don't have STL's, but do have a set of stock links and am in Canberra too if you want to use those for dimensions etc?
That would be brilliant if possible please! - Are you able to send me a message please? - Haven't quite worked out how to send a DM yet sorry!

Old 02-27-2022, 10:51 PM
bobbyjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by W4TS0N
Are you able to send me a message please?
The forum doesn't let me send you one - you need to enable them in your user control panel, I think.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:45 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Not enough time and not enough posts to pm…use visitor messaging…if you don’t know how check site faq

Old 02-28-2022, 11:49 PM
Makes sense re: not enough posts to message.

If you're able to email me at dw [at] davewatson dot com dot au, that would be brilliant thanks!