Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Staggered Wheels, not just widths but also diameter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:34 PM
drizcol is on a distinguished road
Staggered Wheels, not just widths but also diameter

I recently bought a set of 22" wheels used on craigslist. I loved the look but had some issues with the wheels themselves (broken spokes). I contacted the manufacture and they are going to replace the wheels for me because all of the wheels have this problem, it must be due to a bad batch of material. I would really like to put a larger sidewall tire on them so that there is more cushion for the potholes.

I know that there is a steering knuckle that stops me from using 22" wheels with a higher sidewall in the font. But I believe there is plenty of room in the rear for larger sidewalls.

The current set up is 22" X 9.5" in the front and 22" X 10.5" in the rear.

Im thinking of putting 20" X 9.5" wheels in the front and 22" X 10.5" in the rear. The Idea would be to have matching sidewalls.

Im not concerned with larger wheel/tire diameters for the speedo and I know about not going for 3% diameter then stock. I will most likely have the same wheel and tire diameter as stock in the front but larger in the rear.

I guess Im wondering if anyone has a setup like this and are there any issues with this aggressive look. I have the regular steel spring suspension and will be installing lowering springs soon.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:50 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't recommend staggered wheels. You could possibly end up with issues in the awd system. Plus most tires on these trucks don't last long even when rotated, and with them being staggered could possibly wear quicker.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:18 PM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
Not sure if I understand exactly what you are asking, but if you are thinking of having one tire diameter on the front and a different on the back I would say NO NO and No again. I think the transfer case would implode especially when the centre diff is locked.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:36 PM
Thanks MtnRat and gh0stman, this is exactly why Im asking. I have done this on rear wheel drive sports cars and it gives the car a great aggressive look and worked without issue. But I have never tried it on an all wheel drive vehicle. Thanks for the advice. I stick to staggered widths.

Originally Posted by gh0stman
I wouldn't recommend staggered wheels. You could possibly end up with issues in the awd system. Plus most tires on these trucks don't last long even when rotated, and with them being staggered could possibly wear quicker.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:08 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
If it was rear wheel drive I would say go for it. But I doubt you want the excitement that would come from stagared wheels on an awd system.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:12 AM
I agree!

Originally Posted by gh0stman
If it was rear wheel drive I would say go for it. But I doubt you want the excitement that would come from stagared wheels on an awd system.