Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Annoying noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 04:24 PM
Mattk is on a distinguished road
Annoying noise

First post and apologise.

I have a Porsche Cayenne which I bought a few weeks ago, 3.2s auto 2006 75,000 miles. And while I am driving at about 30 I can hear what I can only describe as a loud dull drone. Not a knock as its constant over 30 and does not go away until I go below 30 again. It sounds like it maybe a wheel bearing but the sound seems to be coming from the front/middle of the car.
There are no knocks or bags to go with the problem.

The car has 20 inch tyres on genuine wheels.

The noise It's driving me nuts as

If I put the car in neutral and coast the noise does not go away and the gearbox is changing gear fine.

I did the front diff oil tonight but this made no difference.

Any ideas please?

Old 11-29-2015, 03:07 AM
DLF
DLF is on a distinguished road
Did you check for metal content in the removed diff oil ? I had a problem with the front diff on my 04 CS and removed diff oil had fine metallic flecks in it, looked pretty cool, but was the positive indication the the diff was slowly grinding itself away. Changing the oil did not make any difference to the sound, it just gets progressively worse. I've been driving it like that for a while now while I'm sourcing a new diff.
If you still have the oil, the metal would have settled to the bottom by now.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:35 PM
techno is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the driveshaft hanger bearing. 75K miles very common. Known Cayenne issue. Should be under $1000 to replace. There is a thread here somewhere with a link to an aftermarket replacement for $375. Porsche only sells the entire driveshaft. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2015, 11:25 AM
Rampino will become famous soon enough
You can easily check the suppot by getting under the vehicle and moving the drive shaft back and forth. You will see the bushig deform if it is trashed.

I used the one in the link below. Didn't have to take the driveshaft out and balance it which is nice. It's an easy install. The hardest part is pulling the old bushing material out.

Drive Shaft Clamping Bearing Support Mount for Porsche Cayenne & VW Touareg - THE ONLY PERMANENT FIX https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063GQP6S..._WzZxwbHJN81FF

Old 12-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Rampino will become famous soon enough
By the way, if this is your problem, it will only get worse.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Ioan Seb is on a distinguished road
Have you managed to find out what it is?

Old 12-06-2015, 02:37 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rampino
You can easily check the suppot by getting under the vehicle and moving the drive shaft back and forth. You will see the bushig deform if it is trashed.

I used the one in the link below. Didn't have to take the driveshaft out and balance it which is nice. It's an easy install. The hardest part is pulling the old bushing material out.

Drive Shaft Clamping Bearing Support Mount for Porsche Cayenne & VW Touareg - THE ONLY PERMANENT FIX https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0063GQP6S..._WzZxwbHJN81FF
There is another fix - $10 - posted on another Cayenne forum. A old race-car mechanic cut out all the rubber between the bearing and the mount, and used short sections of fuel-line, tie-wrapped together and to the bracket to support the bearing. The tubing is wedged between the bearing outer shell and the inside of the support bracket.

A real "McGuiver" sort of fix - but several people have done it now, and many are well over 10,000 miles on the "fix" without any problems at all.

I went the rebuilt shaft route - but if I had it to do over again - I'd be getting out some fuel line and a bag of tie-wraps. It sort of appeals to me for some bizarre reason..

Take a look at this thread: http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-c...l#post12811705 - it's called the "Jimmy Fix"..

Last edited by deilenberger; 12-06-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 AM
Not found the problem as yet. I did go under the car and take a look at the rubber mounting on the shaft. It seems ok. But noise seems like it's coming from the front.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:04 AM
Hi all,

The problem was an early wheel bearing failure.

Thanks for tips.