Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Finally getting a Porsche....maybe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 10:26 PM
turbodogs02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Finally getting a Porsche....maybe

New here, so here's my first post,

I'm to the point where I'm ready to pull the trigger on getting a Porsche Cayenne GTS. I'm trying to keep my budget under 30k and have found a 2009 with 94k on the clock and a clean Carfax that shows regular service through Porsche dealers. I also pulled the NMVITAS report and it shows clean as well. The dealer is asking 24.9K but that's just what's listed on the website.

Aside from some rash on the Sportplus wheels (rashed wheels are one of my biggest pet peeves, but they can be cleaned up), rust on the lug nuts - it seems to have spent most of its life in the Newport Beach/Long Beach area, and other minor wear and tear, it seems like it all checks out.

I'm currently in a BMW X3, so I'm familiar with keeping regular maintenance on German vehicles. Is there anything else of concern to look for, ask about, etc. to give this thing the thumbs up or down? I talked to my local Porsche dealer and he stated that as long as maintenance was done regularly the 09 is a pretty solid vehicle and that the numbers sounded good. What do you guys think? I'm not dead set locked in on this vehicle, but on the surface so far it seems pretty decent.

Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to joining the Porsche family very soon!

Old 05-21-2016, 08:56 AM
FWIW, it looks like it has a pretty standard list of equipment...Bose, Bluetooth, satellite radio, voice control for PCM, Light Comfort Package, trailer hitch, heated seats front and rear....

What do you guys think? On the surface is it worth pursuing, or is the mileage a concern? I know there are after market warranties available if I wanted to go that route, and I've seen the 100k thread where it looks like these vehicles keep on running with no real issues when maintained.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:09 PM
richie996 will become famous soon enoughrichie996 will become famous soon enough
Exactly, if the service history is well documented with records I don't think the mileage should be of too much concern. I'd always recommend having a pre-purchase inspection done by a Porsche mechanic as well. If the work was done at dealers, you can always ask for the records to see what work has been done (if it was all service work or recurring problems/etc). Even the smallest of issues could potentially cost thousands to repair because of parts and labor..

I too have an 09GTS; someone recently posted a topic that I replied to with details, rather then me type everything over again, here's a link to that reply.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4508867

Good luck!

-Richie

Old 05-21-2016, 07:01 PM
Right on.....thanks for the reply and the info! I've been trying to read through every pertinent thread I could find.

I'm also starting to wonder if I should just kick down a little bit more into my budget and try and get something with a few less miles and potentially bring 2010's into range.

I love shopping for vehicles, but I sometimes really dislike actually buying them (if that makes sense). I think I comparison shop too much and then wonder if I'm making the right call. My BMW has 80k and the remainder of the extended warranty on it, so leaving from that "safety net" is a factor. But I've reached a point where I'm ready to move to the Porsche I just want to make it the smartest choice possible.

Time to keep reading....

Old 05-22-2016, 07:11 AM
richie996 will become famous soon enoughrichie996 will become famous soon enough
Yup, try to get the newest one you can with the least mileage and always have it inspected by a third party to ensure everything looks good. Make sure everything works as it should because even the smallest of issues can be a nightmare to fix. Tires/brakes are consumables, but you should take that into consideration as well. If all the pads/rotors/tires need to be changed, it could be a small fortune (there are countless threads on this topic as well).. I did my own brakes with genuine Porsche parts.. Dealer wanted $3k to do both axles, I did them myself for $1k in parts and 4 hours on a Saturday morning..

If you expect snow in the winter, might want to get a set of snow tires as well (the 09 GTS models mostly shipped with 21" rims, there are not too many all-season tires in this size)..

Old 05-28-2016, 08:01 AM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
He's in Ca unless he's going into the mountains he shouldn't be expecting snow lol.
I agree though, try to get the newest and less mileage one you can find.