Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Rear quarter window(glass) removal Cayenne 955

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Domino is on a distinguished road
Rear quarter window(glass) removal Cayenne 955

Hello,
Could someone experienced tell me is it possible and how to remove rear quarter window on Cayenne 955 without breaking anything.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:04 AM
clawless is an unknown quantity at this point
I removed the drivers side rear glass to swap out the pillar cover in my 957 last weekend. possible, yes, without breaking anything, well lets say I'm hoping to break less on the pass side.

aside from removing the trim to get to the bolts and a few small scratches as i didn't remove everything, getting it out wasn't so bad, broken clip tab here and there. Swapping the pillar and getting it back in was more difficult.

One thing I didn't find from other posts on this was there are plastic 2 clips on the body behind the pillar cover that snap on to part of the window frame. They were very hard to see and maybe harder to release. Not sure if they are there on a 955. I may order new ones if I can find them on the diagram, but its back together now without them so we will see.

I realize without a pic the description isn't helping much and there are a lot of parts to remove and move. I may do a write up on it when I do the other side.

Overall it was more time consuming than hard if you have done this kind of thing before.

--clawless

Old 06-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Would be nice, if you could write something more about the whole process on other side, maybe some pics on tricky parts. I want to paint pillars and all aluminium mouldings in gloss black. Best way to do it would be removing all trim pieces from car.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:35 PM
That was my original intention, to go from the silver to black, however for the time spent painting, you can order the factory black ones and just replace them. The fronts were ~49 each with a 2 minute install and the backs were ~53 from Paramount Parts Store. Part numbers below are the black ones for my 957, please verify for a 955 (although I assume since they start with 955 they will be the same but we all know about assuming)

The clips that I broke are listed below as well. Just ordered those. I'm going to take the window I already did out and replace them.

I tried to paint the rears on the vehicle, the time spent taping, priming, painting, sanding, and clear coating was more than just removing and replacing them. The other issue I has was the rubber seal on the door baked itself on / into the paint and left a mark on the inside where it touches. I let it dry / cure for 4 days in a hot garage before closing the door and it burnt in the next day.

After doing it both ways, IMHO, if your taking it apart already, get the factory ones, clearcoat them gloss (I left mine matte) and replace them. For what they cost new, its not worth the time painting, esp the front ones...although the clear coat might be the reason for the burn?

I am out of town next week, I plan to tackle this after I return.

I purchased these part numbers and can confirm the they fit an 2008 957. Trim clips are on order, don't see why the would be wrong, they were on the same page as the appliques.

955-559-320-00-XX2 APPLIQUE (Front)
955-559-319-00-XX2 APPLIQUE (Front)
955-543-382-00-XX2 APPLIQUE (Rear)
955-543-381-00-XX2 APPLIQUE (Rear)
955-543-573-00 TRIM CLIP

As far as all the aluminum trim, you can easily paint the quarter window trim as its attached to the window when you remove it and comes off with a handful of screws, the rest I'm not sure. Have you considered vinyl wrap?

--clawless

Old 06-27-2016, 05:50 PM
New ones from dealer comes for "only" 326 euros/set. And it's impossible to get set of flawless trim pieces from scrapyard. So I don't see any reason not to paint mines, since I take them apart. I'm a pretty good at spray painting, I've done few whole cars, pillars will be easy. I'm planning to paint them with acrylic black and polish afterwards. I'll post results when I'll be done with them. If won't mess up with removing process.
There's some more painting mods I'm planning:
Anode Red brake calipers - mine's are boring (silver).
Black pieces of bumpers and doors in colour of car - titanium silver.
Wheels - last owner was a close-parking-a$$... They need some serious job to look decent, since they're not-so-good-looking original 19's.
I will make New topic and post link here after I'll do the list above.

Last edited by Domino; 06-27-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:20 AM
Ouch! That price seems excessive and it sounds like your better at painting...I always manage to mess some thing up and have to redo it and in the end its just OK.

Ill work on the removal post after vacation. I looked all over and couldn't find anything anywhere and I see I'm not the only one still wanting to do this.

Ill be interested to see how the calipers turn out, I want to paint mine as well, but again, in the past I've had too many redos.

--clawless

Old 06-28-2016, 08:52 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
I did plasti dip on most of my trim. It's worked ok for the last year+ but some of it is starting to peel off now like where my arm rests on the bottom window trim when it's down. Other than that it's holding up ok. I'd rather replace it all but heard the rear quarters were a pain to get out and back in.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:56 AM
I did window removal by myself. It was piece of cake job. I had to remove interior panels in trunk, and remove 7 nuts on both side windows. There is two pretty fragile clips under pillar trim piece of window. They can be detached by gentle pull. Best part is that I did all the job without breaking any stuff.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Click link below to look on job i've done with my CS.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4546835