Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

H&R spring collapse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 08:37 AM
clawless is an unknown quantity at this point
H&R spring collapse

HI All - long time fan, first post.

I picked up a 2008 base in the fall and have been working on a few things, 20 inch wheel, set of B8 Bilsteins and H&R springs. I had the B8s and the springs put in about 2 months ago and the one on the drivers side has, for lack of a better word, collapsed. So much so the whole thing leans, its eating the tire (I have stopped driving it) and its wrecked the bumpstop and cap before I realized it.

has anyone else had any issues like this? Ive had H&R springs in the past and never had any issues, with any aftermarket springs.

The worst part is H&R is giving me the run around on warrantying it out. I purchased from an authorized dealer and sent about 50 pics of both sides, the latest reply thru the dealer was that they want me to check to make sure the pass side spring is seated correctly, there is no issue on that side and they want to make sure I have the correct spring part numbers installed, and asked for a pic of the spring part number on the vehicle, which I had already sent. This has been going on for almost 2 weeks now. I understand the need to make sure there is a legit issue however I have never had this much run around from a company.

or am I missing something and something else could cause this?

sorry I didn't really want my first post to be a bash on a part supplier, just trying to see if this is par for the course with H&R, as I'm close to replacing them and never buying another H&R product again.

blue seat is the low side, first pic was just after is was done and is normal

--Clawless

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	13055830_1066336093422423_6008422345483783690_o.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	451797  
Attached Images     
Old 06-24-2016, 02:58 PM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
Try contacting H&R directly and tell them the dealer that sold it to you is giving you the run around.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:17 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
May just be the picture but the blue seat spring almost looks thinner than the black. That is odd though.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:20 AM
Unfortunately its H&R that's giving me and the dealer the run around. I've contacted H&R and they say the pics and descriptions are normal procedure, which is fine however whey they tell me the good side looks installed incorrectly, I wonder either what I'm missing or they are (or are not) seeing?

Yes I believe the blue seat (compensator) is thinner than the black one however its only MM difference, I've lost inches since installation

--clawless

Old 06-27-2016, 06:17 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Can you find anything else that's broken? To me the driver's side in your pic looks like it's compressed more at the top than the other one but that could be how the spring is rotated.

Did you take it in to the shop to see if they can figure it out? How is the lower perch attached to the shock? Is the ride height adjustable (it doesn't look like it with not threads on the body of the shock)? Dunno, just spitballin some other ideas?!?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:19 AM
I've been doing the same on the ideas. I sat down last night and pulled the wheel off and looked again, then analyzed the pics I had taken. Nothing seem out of place, broken, bent or otherwise out of order. I did notice in the pics below and am now convinced its the spring, sent this to the dealer this morning.

'The bad side (blue seat), you can see 4 coils at the top touching, good side(black seat) only 3 for most of the turn. The gap between coils 4 and 5 is very small on the bad side and much larger on the good side, even on the back side, this coil is the biggest difference. And there is visible a gap between coil 3 and 4 on the good side and very little on the bad.'

I was hoping to take this on vacation next week but that's looking less likely, seems the dealer is also drag-a$$ing on getting the info over to H&R so maybe its both of them. Part of me wants to get a set of Eibach's and swap them out and move on with life. or.....anyone got a single front H&R spring they want to sell?

--clawless

Attached Images   
Old 07-12-2016, 07:34 AM
The saga continues...

I ordered the Eibach springs and they showed up during vacation. I replaced them myself yesterday. I get the front 2 swapped and am looking at the H&Rs and notice that the side that is collapsed has a rear spring installed! I knew there was a reason I didn't trust this shop (there was also a Bilstein strut warranty issue, which I now and sure was them as well) as a major DIY person, this is what I get for not doing it myself.

After I have swapped out 3 of the springs, and found the front one on the pass rear I get a message from my dealer, another relay from H&R - mind you we are now at 1 month since I reported the issue and H&R has had the pics for over 3 weeks:

"Looks like i've found out your customers issue, Him or the shop has installed a rear spring on the passenger front. The driver side (the one that is dropped) is actually the CORRECT amount of lowering that is with this kit, the passenger front should match the driver front. Please have your customer check the back two springs and make sure that a front spring is not installed with a rear shock. You can note a front or rear spring by a (F) or (R) on the spring right after the 29286-2 part number on the spring!"

What concerns me more that anything is that they tell me that the drop is 'CORRECT' on the incorrectly installed spring that is over 1.5mm smaller in diameter and intended for the rear. Just on this fact alone I'm glad these are off the pepper...
and they told me the pass side spring is seated incorrectly, which it was not, I have pics.

In the grand scheme of things I cannot fault the dealer or H&R for a defective part, however they do take all the blame for the poor customer service, the dealer should have pushed this along, I am there paying customer, instead of me prodding them for information. They are my advocate. As the customer I am relying on their and the manufactures expertise as I don't do this every day like they do. To have this go on a month is too long. Now 3 companies total have lost a customer for life.

The good news is I can now do a
decent comparison between H&R and Eibach once they settle.

--clawless

Old 07-13-2016, 10:35 PM
Uh the shop may not be on the hook for a bad part but they sure as hell should have installed the rights parts in the right place to begin with. And they should have been able to spot it right off the bat when they weren't and you came back. I sure wouldn't do business with them anymore.

Enjoy it now that you have it sorted yourself.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:10 PM
TurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud ofTurboVR6 has much to be proud of
Glad you figured it out. I just picked up a 05 Cayenne S and thinking of installing lowering springs. Which one sits lower? Any pictures you can post? Thanks

Old 09-03-2016, 03:26 AM
KTI
KTI is on a distinguished road
So Clawless which one rides better? H&R or Eibach ?