Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Please Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:31 PM
Jbrichmond is on a distinguished road
Please Help!

Evening everyone,

I wanted to make this post as more of a last resort type of thing- as I've exercised almost every other option I can think of! I got my 2010 GTS CPO about 3 months ago and I LOVE it. Great machine. However, there is a slight tapping noise that occurs in the drivers door (i think?) that is driving me nuts. I have taken it to the dealer and they adjusted the latch pin / lubed everything and I noticed it as soon as I pulled away when I picked it up...

I have come up with these conclusions and still have yet to find the source / fix it:

-It is most common when accelerating, braking, turning or on uneven roads that cause body torque
-100% sure it is drivers door area related, it is nothing in the engine or anything like that, as I cannot hear it when the windows are down
-I am almost positive it is coming from right around the door latch area / locking area of the vehicle on the drivers door

I have tried all this below and still... nothing:

-Removed door panel (twice), drove around with it off and still heard the noise, there were no loose plastic clips or anything of that nature either. So I know it is beyond the panel itself
-Electrical tape around the striker plate to see if that would quiet the tapping (assuming that's where it's coming from)... no luck
-Vibration tape in between the door and the striker, where it touches, still no help
-Measured striker plates location to compare with passenger side to ensure that it hasn't been tweaked or anything of that nature
-Lubed the latch mechanism and all door seals

I am hoping that maybe somebody on here can help me or point me in the right direction on how to find this or solve the problem. I am usually fine with rattles or noises in an SUV, as it's a big vehicle and these are naturally going to occur when hitting bumps and rough roads. This however, is just so unnatural sounding and it bothers me to no end. I am leaning towards it having something to do with the striker plate and latch, or possibly the window maybe tapping part of the body? No idea, just want to put this to bed so I can fully enjoy this thing.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks so much

Last edited by Jbrichmond; 09-08-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:41 AM
Porscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud ofPorscheman33 has much to be proud of
Take it back to the dealer it is CPO...

If you can't get it to repeat when it's their try taking a video of it.

I'd say something with the control arm but you're saying its right under the door. Hmm.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:11 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Someone else was complaining about the exhaust hitting under the car and hearing it. Just an idea. Also look at the trim on the bottom of the door or on the bottom of the sill. I have a piece that was flapping around. I need to get a couple new clips it looks like.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:18 PM
richie996 will become famous soon enoughrichie996 will become famous soon enough
Turn your radio louder.. :P

I had an awful creaking noise on my GTS, the noise was coming from the Panoramic roof and would happen any and all times. The solution was placing a piece of felt between two parts in the roof area (there's a thread in this form about it somewhere)..

Your situation could be similar where it's two parts tapping/rubbing against each other. It's hard to diagnose yourself while driving, it might help to have someone else drive and listen around to see exactly where it's coming from (perhaps from the seat right behind the driver)...

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Jbrichmond is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much for the replies. I figured it out and I am so relieved, can finally enjoy the vehicle now.

Between the top of the door and the frame of the car, just above the window sill, was tapping against the painted surface. I figured it out by closing the door on a rag (ghetto, I know) between the two portions and suddenly I no longer heard it... Placed some adhesive door insulation up there and it's as good as new.

No panoramic roof on mine, so none of the many noises I hear come with it, thankfully!

Last edited by Jbrichmond; 09-11-2016 at 09:31 PM.