Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Car starting situation and resolution (maybe)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Car starting situation and resolution (maybe)

I replaced my battery on the 05CTT sometime in 2013 (early part).
Replaced with H8-something or other Duralast (posted up battery replacement DIY on here too).
Over the last few weeks, I have been having a hard time starting the car. Was taking multiple times to crank over and start (fail, remove key, insert, try again - maybe 3 or 4 times sometime).
Anyway, today, after work, car would not start at all. I was thinking all this hard starting is due to failing fuel pumps. Was getting ready to buy the pumps for replacement. Decided to test battery. Ended up being bad battery.
Got a replacement (H8-AGM Duralast Platinum). Since I had replacement credit, I paid about half of what it would normally be to get one (reg price ~$190). After the swap, noticed the car started right away, no hesitation at all. None.

So here are my questions:
- Would this mean the battery could be the culprit to all the hard starting where symptoms would be like bad fuel pumps?

- I noticed that my PCM stereo was acting funny over last couple days (was resetting itself automatically after about 5 minutes). After reset, would not allow change station or change volume, etc. Going into work today, noticed same behavior, and think that it is possible the PCM was resetting itself all the time, causing the batt. to die. Anyone have similar experience with PCM, and what was your resolution?

- Any other observations, that I may do a check on to make sure all is fine?

Thanks to everyone.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:09 AM
richie996 will become famous soon enoughrichie996 will become famous soon enough
Monitor your battery voltage to see if something is causing extensive drain/draw from your battery when the vehicle is off. The battery should last more then 3 years in normal driving conditions, I've had batteries in some cars that lasted 8-10 years with proper maintenance (trickle chargers/battery maintainers).

Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Use a Durametric to check for any codes, record any that are present and clear the codes in that module. Drive and monitor to see if any of the codes return.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:07 AM
davidsavop is an unknown quantity at this point
Eerily Familiar to Your Starting Issue

I'll try to make this short. I have had starting / stalling / missing issues lately that are all over the place, and I really need help. Here are symptoms in the order they occurred:
1. CEL began illuminating after car idling for longer periods. Code reported fault in vapor system. Reset CEL and only seemed to return when I would sit idling or after fillups. I did buy a new fuel cap but no help.
2. I opened up throttle on a country road and engine went nuts, missing very harshly and idling low and rough. Engine code indicated cylinder 7 misfire. After a few days and only driving twice, this problem disappeared entirely. Might be unrelated to my worrisome problem, but worth mentioning. I purchased new set of coil packs to install ASAP time permitting.
3. CEL getting more frequent with vapor issue fault. Resets still last longer unless I sit still idling.
4. Now after refueling, very hard to start and misses for a minute or so before smoothing out. Sometimes prompts CEL again with vapor system msg.
5. With about 1/8 tank of gas left, the car stalled sitting at traffic light and had to cycle 3 times before it finally started. Rough running for about a minute. Filled up right after, and was very hard to start again but after a minute ok and no CEL this time.

From some other posts I've seen, some of the same symptoms are caused by low battery, some perhaps fuel pump, still others by some imbalance in vapor pressure system in fuel tank. I should add one more incident that may have contributed. I had to fuel with engine running on one occasion due to low battery because I left my iPad charging by accident and drained the battery. Voltage seems ok at high 13 or low 14v, and battery seems to take charges fine. However, could I have messed up the vapor system when I fueled with engine running?

I'm new to Porsche and not dripping in cash like most, and would really like to get some ideas on where to start, as well as whether these issues are likely related or separate. If a few of you experienced guys would brain storm a bit to help me choose what to check and more importantly, in what order to check which things, I would be very grateful! I realize this may end up being a dealer fix, but I have to try myself first to at least stab at it before buying a new wing for the dealership.

Ideas?

Thanks Folks!

Old 10-21-2016, 10:30 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
There could be several things going on.
Ony symptom of hard time starting after you refill your car, appears to me as possible bad evap canister. I have a DIY on this.
My symptom was same. Whenever went to gas station and filled up the car, had hard time starting up.
After replacing the evap canister, had no such issues at all.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:50 AM
davidsavop is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the reply. I stopped by the dealer and they confirmed it was the evap canister. I will look for the DIY postings on the site. New to this forum and haven't gotten that part yet. How hard is the canister to replace? I'm not experienced with Porsche, but am fairly mech inclined. Let me find your DIY and see if I can pull it off. The dealer is quoting me $1800 for the canister plus another vapor related motor or something. Perhaps I can just buy the parts and do the labor myself. Opinions?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:03 PM
I did the evap canister replace. Took me about 3 or 4 hours of careful work, plus I think 100 bucks in parts. Compared to $1800 I would do it myself without hesitation.

My DIY should be on here somewhere or on another forum I usually put write ups on (starts with r******h).