Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Water pump and thermostat brand? 2004 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:15 PM
sempaipaul will become famous soon enough
Water pump and thermostat brand? 2004 Cayenne S

Guys,

There are so many different units out there. What have you all used? OEM? GEBA? Laso? Beck/Arnley? Vaico? Hamburg-Technic? Graf?

Also --- is the stock factory termostat a 83 degree unit? Does it matter whether I pick up the OEM one or a Wahler unit which is 1/2 the cost?

Anything else that you guys believe would be beneficial to conduct work on while in there? I have already done the intake manifold gaskets, the spark plugs, coil packs, and the valve cover gaskets along with the serpentine belt.

Thanks!
Paul

Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 AM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
Cayenne Water Pump Order of Brand Preference & Impeller Type:
1) OEM Porsche(HEPU - Composite, Germany)
2) GRAF-ElringKlinger(Metal, Germany)
3) GEBA(Metal, Germany)
4) LASO(Composite, Germany)
5) Beck-Arnley/GMB(Metal, Brazil, India, Mexico)
6) Hamburg-Technic(Composite, China)

The thermoplastic composite impellers(OEM), is obviously the ideal choice. They are lightweight, easy on bearings and can handle constant, high RPMs under extreme heat. Just make sure the ABS impeller body has that brass bushing, at the shaft base. The OEM HEPU also has premium, Swedish-made, SKF shaft bearings. Swedes are Masters of advanced metallurgy... they simply know how to make a ball bearing subjected to extreme elements. Second choice is the metal impeller GRAF, which is the OEM Porsche gasket supplier, ElringKlinger. The bearings are German GRW industrial steel bearings, which rival quality, Japanese EZO and NTN bearings. Metal impellers need the best bearings, due to high-tension belt loads imposed on them.

The last two on the list I would not even consider, for a twin-turbo V8. At less than half the cost of the first two choices - their longevity is dismal, at best... you truly get what you DON'T pay for!

Last edited by Zuffenhausen955; 07-25-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:56 AM
DLF
DLF is on a distinguished road
I have replaced my 04 CS water pump with the OEM , at the price (R2700 [$200]) the price difference between the OEM and other brands is insignificant, compared to the risk of failure.