Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

“Humming/whining” sound from rear wheel well area when idling. (04 Cayenne S)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 11:41 AM
grphcdsgnr76 is on a distinguished road
“Humming/whining” sound from rear wheel well area when idling. (04 Cayenne S)

I have a “humming” (for lack of a better term) sound coming from the rear wheel well area when at idle (I assume its also happening when traveling and I just can’t hear it over road/wind noise.) It seems to be a bit more prevalent on the driver's side but isnt clearly only coming from there. I’ve heard of similar sounds happening on other vehicles with air suspensions and it being related to faulty sensors in those cases. Any one here have any experience with an issue like this and any guidance as to possible causes and solutions?

Side note here, I do get random air suspension faults on the dash, however, there is no rhyme or reason to when, or if, they occur. Further, even when they do pop up the air suspension still functions even when the fault is “active” (further leading me to think this might be some kind of sensor issue as opposed to an actual system issue.)

Attached vid is of the noise, its a bit tough to hear over the idle and wind, but its there.

The vehicle is a 2004 Cayenne S.

Thanks.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2901.MOV (917.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 02-23-2017, 02:13 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
Are you talking about the sound that (to me) sounds like a electrical power station?

Old 02-24-2017, 11:03 AM
grphcdsgnr76 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gh0stman
Are you talking about the sound that (to me) sounds like a electrical power station?
Yup, that's the one. Its been suggested to me that its a normal operating noise from the fuel pump—which would be great because, hey, one less thing to fix— but I'm open to other opinions.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:42 PM
Bear Glass is an unknown quantity at this point
Was the humming a normal operation?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.