Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:14 AM
Nhammond25 is an unknown quantity at this point
https://youtu.be/mTDlSI37D64

Here's a very brief clip of the problem. Was only able to get a little bit due to being on a curvy mountain road. Notice the pause a 4K rpm as I said before. I was on full throttle throughout the video

Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Can't really tell by your video.

A few suggestions:

- Turn the radio off before doing the video so we can hear the engine
- Say "NOW" when you floor it
- Display the boost gauge option on your multi-function-display panel - and have it in the video.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:27 PM
https://youtu.be/8b-R5hokRwc

somehow this time it did not happen. I might have been lucky enough that the issue resolved itself. Nevertheless, here is the video with a bit more clarity.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:22 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Can't really tell by your video.

A few suggestions:

- Turn the radio off before doing the video so we can hear the engine
- Say "NOW" when you floor it
- Display the boost gauge option on your multi-function-display panel - and have it in the video.
+1 on these suggestions. I'm wondering if the car might be over boosting causing it to "lurch" at 4k? Is the car stock?

Old 01-24-2017, 09:53 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Much better video.. and looks like no problem now. Maybe the turbos just needed some exercise... or the ECU did some adaptation that told it you wanted it to be FAST...

Old 01-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Previous owner took very good care of the car. 73k miles and almost no blemishes on the exterior and the interior is impeccable. If I were to guess he probably did not go hard on the engine and rather used it for a daily driver due to the high mileage. So maybe it is just a matter of breaking it in. For now, the issue seems to be resolved. Thanks for the help from everyone!

Old 01-24-2017, 05:19 PM
pmeaux123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Qu4ttro
Try to see if your cars have symptoms mentioned above (like gear slipping, like misfiring, chugging upon acceleration, etc.). I don't want to say its hard to miss as it all depends on how bad it has become.

If you are worried, start looking out for an extended warranty that will cover the transfer case.

Can someone who has got the transfer case replaced tell me how long they have driven the Cayenne after the fix? TIA
i had mine replaced under warranty in June 2015. It just broke again and my original car warranty expired and would have cost me $5100 to fix but fortunately I bought an Easy Care extended warranty (because I was afraid this might happen) though I still have a $500 deductible. They do not last long and is really very frustrating. I will sell my car as soon as warranty expires.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:17 PM
Qu4ttro is on a distinguished road
I guess my worst nightmare is true... that the replacement will fail shortly again. I am really hoping Porsche will eventually do a recall. Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Qu4ttro
I guess my worst nightmare is true... that the replacement will fail shortly again. I am really hoping Porsche will eventually do a recall. Thanks for the reply.
You really don't know that it will fail. You're assuming it will. LOTS of us are still out here running around with the same transfer case the car was delivered with.

As far as Porsche making it lighter/smaller - true - but they did that by removing the 2 speed transfer case and making it a single speed transfer case.

The failures don't appear to be caused by fragility - it seems an equal number fail on the V6 as the V8-Turbo, which has about twice the torque of the V6, and if the transfer case was undersized, I'd expect that the more torque the more failures. That doesn't seem to be the case.

It might be possible that driving style may contribute to early TC failure. Regular use of the Tiptronic shifter, or running all the time max out in sport mode does put more stress on the driveline. Of course the argument can validly be made that Porsche should have considered that possibility in designing the TC.

Porsche had several workshop campaigns for the transfer cases - around 2013 or so - for ones they claimed were assembled wrong, where the clutch would fail due to poor machining.

I suspect Porsche doesn't actually make the cases - more likely it's a company like ZF or Getrag who actually design and make them, or perhaps VW, although the gasoline engine cases are different from the ones used on the diesel engine - which are the same as the Tourag cases.

That all said - it again proves that it isn't wise to own a modern German vehicle without some sort of extended warranty. Even the lowliest aftermarket warranty I've read covers a transfer case...

Old 01-25-2017, 08:33 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
Well I have a 2011 Porsche Cayenne S just flipped 68,000 miles. I purchased it used obviously on November 18, 2016. Fortunately for me it came with a 3 month / 3000 mile power train warranty.

I searched tooth and nail for this information online. What would it cost should my transfer case fail. I found that out over the past few days.

I am pretty thankful for that warranty and now need to seek out a new aftermarket power train warranty. I am thankful I didn't have to pay a dime for THIS repair and replace.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:28 PM
The receipt has some significant info..

When they unplugged the transfer case (which disables the clutch) - the problem went away.

Porsche had several service campaigns involving reprogramming the control module for the transfer case to avoid noise and other complaints. I wonder if yours ever received those downloads. You may want to check with the dealer who did the work - they can look it up in the warranty database kept by Porsche.

That might explain why some vehicles seem to go through multiple transfer cases.. if the software running the TC wasn't updated.

Tomorrow sometime I'll dig around for the service campaign descriptions - they're on the DOT/NHTSA website.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:26 AM
Thank you

Sounds good. I'll contact the shop foreman once I receive the information from you and verify the software update.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:18 PM
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...43475-2294.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...43475-9788.pdf

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...43969-3216.pdf

The last one is the one that mentions the software - and a problem that can occur when replacing a transfer case that will likely cause it to fail again.

There is also another one regarding programming for the rear differential. I didn't bother with the PDF for that one.

BTW - you can use https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues to directly search for items like this using your Cayenne VIN#..

Old 01-26-2017, 03:00 PM
Deilenberger this is some serious valuable information you entered above. Thank you. This should get a sticky IMO. Thanks again!!

Old 01-28-2017, 12:38 PM
Qu4ttro is on a distinguished road
Thank you Deilenberger for your post and the info. I have tried that site and put in my VIN but it says I have no recalls for my 2013 Cayenne base. Looking at your attached PDF files it looks like Porsche is saying only 2011-2012 models esp the Cayenne s and turbos model are affected. Did they forget to include the base and 2013 models? Or is our problem not the same? Odd.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced