Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 01:08 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Qu4ttro
Thank you Deilenberger for your post and the info. I have tried that site and put in my VIN but it says I have no recalls for my 2013 Cayenne base. Looking at your attached PDF files it looks like Porsche is saying only 2011-2012 models esp the Cayenne s and turbos model are affected. Did they forget to include the base and 2013 models? Or is our problem not the same? Odd.
I rather suspect that Porsche thinks they solved the manufacturing error by the 2013 model year. As far as which models? Dunno. We've heard of failures on all the gas powered models I believe.

I also suspect that a large number of people will never experience a failure if they don't have the defective clutch basket in their transfer case, and if they don't "launch" the car too often (or ever - I'm in that camp.)

Old 01-28-2017, 01:15 PM
958 S is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Qu4ttro
Thank you Deilenberger for your post and the info. I have tried that site and put in my VIN but it says I have no recalls for my 2013 Cayenne base. Looking at your attached PDF files it looks like Porsche is saying only 2011-2012 models esp the Cayenne s and turbos model are affected. Did they forget to include the base and 2013 models? Or is our problem not the same? Odd.
I had the same show for my 12 S, but if you search by make model and year instead of vin for some traps it will then show you everything. Maybe the vin narrows it down when things are noted to be fixed by a certain vin designation, not sure, but I thought it was weird mine only shows the one recall for a brake pedal clip.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:37 AM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 958 S
...but if you search by make model and year instead of vin...
It wasn't obvious at first, there's a text line for searching, duh.

Interesting to see mfg reports, none yet for my '17 GTS but '16 reports a few:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/P...Communications

Old 02-04-2017, 12:03 PM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
I wanted to add that my replacement Porsche REMAN transfer case came with a 2 year warranty from the dealership parts AND labor. I was told they never have had to replace a Porsche REMAN... yet!

Old 02-04-2017, 03:39 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TJtheDJ
I wanted to add that my replacement Porsche REMAN transfer case came with a 2 year warranty from the dealership parts AND labor. I was told they never have had to replace a Porsche REMAN... yet!
That's standard for all Porsche parts and labor done at a dealership, provided the parts aren't "wear" parts (brakes, tires, etc..) unless the repair was done under a Porsche warranty (original or CPO) - then they're covered until the end of the warranty period.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:59 PM
BTW - the $2,500 price on the receipt above isn't a fluke. Several on line parts departments are discounting the price to close to that number.

And - turns out there are 3 variations of the transfer case..
  • V6 cases
  • V8 cases
  • Diesel cases

Looking at the part numbers on line - it becomes obvious that Porsche has gone through quite a few "updates" to the part, indicated by the change of the last number. The V8 TC started with 958.341.010.01 - and is now on the 7th revision - 958.341.010.08. Nice to see that Porsche hasn't given up on them.. Similar sort of revisions on the V6 cases too.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:43 AM
quickster2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do we know or have a feel how many have failed on a percentage basis? Is it just a few or is this something one may want to do ahead of failure? What is the failure mode and could it be prevented by opening up the case ahead of time? Opinions welcome.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:14 AM
Sybco is on a distinguished road
I had both transfer case and rear differential replaced on my 2012 CTT. Never experienced the problems the OP describes. The transfer case design was improved for the replacement, according to my SA. I will say the rear differential shudder, was far more noticeable when i dissengaged the traction control. Sport mode never made a difference one way or the other. Again, never noticed vibration issues in straight line , only while turning, and mostly to the left and at low speeds

Old 02-23-2017, 11:23 AM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Well mine is got it, 2013 turbo. No warranty so this will be fun.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by the head
Well mine is got it, 2013 turbo. No warranty so this will be fun.
Mileage?

Old 02-23-2017, 06:55 PM
I'm going to ask the moderators to move this to the general 958 section. The failures aren't a turbo-only problem, but they are a 958 only problem. It would be better located under the 958 section where there is a thread on the subject already. Perhaps the threads can be merged..

Old 02-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
I hope it worked!

Old 02-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Looks like the moderators merged and moved it - I'm going to suggest a title change so it doesn't appear specific to the V6..

THANKS MODERATORS!

Old 02-24-2017, 05:44 PM
THANKS MUCH to the Moderators. They not only merged the two threads in the right spot - they also altered the title of the thread so people with all 958 models suffering this problem will open it.

Very cool! Thank you!

Old 02-25-2017, 03:09 PM
the head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the roughthe head is a jewel in the rough
Probably started at 49,000 miles for me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne Transfer case replaced