Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

rear cargo sill protector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 12:45 PM
greg_g is on a distinguished road
rear cargo sill protector

My Internet searching has yielded no results, so I decided it's time to ask for help. Put what should have been avoidable scratches into the rear bumper cover while sliding unwieldy cargo out of the back. After the fact, my cargo mat with apron arrived. I thought a body shop could just rub out the clear coat scratches, but they want nearly $476 to refinish the entire <2 month old bumper cover. So I decided to look for something to simply cover up the scratches (and prevent further scratches). I was hoping for a stainless sill like came standard on pre-2011 models. But all I've come up with so far is clear film (Clear-Bra stuff). Anybody seen what I'm lookin' for? Or have a reasonable alternative?

//greg//

Old 11-01-2012, 02:48 PM
cfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to beholdcfgtts is a splendid one to behold
I just had clear bra stuff put on the bumper/door sills. But on my last car I almost went with a 3D Twill Weave Style Dry Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Sheet. I asked my window tint guy about using the roll I had for the rear bumper cover, but he showed me his desk that he used it on and he said it can scratch. But here is a link to it. I believe there is other type colors too.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Dry-Black-C...eet-aa2033.htm Here is a link to it if you want to look at it.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 PM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
A clear film won't do much to hide existing scratches. A satin finish film might cover them better: http://www.prestige-films.com/auto_satinguard.shtml

Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
I think the Cayenne is really a sports car that looks like a SUV. You can pretty much take away the U(utility) from the SUV. From what I have noticed, the rear bumper on most SUVs always has a standard sill, many of them even overlap the edge to prevent scratching on the paint finish. While on the same topic of lack of practicality, unless you add the factory roof rails at time of ordering, you can never add any cross bars on the roof later.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:30 PM
kev_song will become famous soon enoughkev_song will become famous soon enough
I had my back bumper wrapped with X-Pel Ultimate, including the sill. I would take it to a high end detail place in your area. They may be able to polish the scratches out of your clear coat before wrapping it, if you choose to go that route.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:12 AM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
2014 porsche cayenne Rear Bumper Sill Guard

Originally Posted by greg_g
My Internet searching has yielded no results, so I decided it's time to ask for help. Put what should have been avoidable scratches into the rear bumper cover while sliding unwieldy cargo out of the back. After the fact, my cargo mat with apron arrived. I thought a body shop could just rub out the clear coat scratches, but they want nearly $476 to refinish the entire <2 month old bumper cover. So I decided to look for something to simply cover up the scratches (and prevent further scratches). I was hoping for a stainless sill like came standard on pre-2011 models. But all I've come up with so far is clear film (Clear-Bra stuff). Anybody seen what I'm lookin' for? Or have a reasonable alternative?

//greg//
I have a new 2014 porsche cayenne, my bumper is scratches due to loading and unloading the golf bag. I am thinking to get the steel rear bumper guard from this link

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/11-13...511726358.html

Looks nice. Any thought or suggestion? I will be HK for business trip I may ask them to ship it to my hotel or find some places to sell the bumper guard.

Thanks,

Doug

Old 06-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Looks like a nice product. Please report back.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 PM
But I thought it only fits 11-13, and you have a 14.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:21 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TGED
But I thought it only fits 11-13, and you have a 14.
Porsche Cayenne 2011-2014 body is identical . I am good. I verify it with Porsche. So the bumper guard will work. I will let you know how it works when i try it out.

Doug

Old 06-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by TGED
Looks like a nice product. Please report back.
sure, will do

Old 06-23-2015, 02:27 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
I bought Porsche part from Suncoast and installed it myself. 3M clear film already cut to fit.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:53 AM
russnyc is on a distinguished road
just picked up a '12 Cayenne. The dealer is going to repair the scratches as part of the purchase but I'd like to prevent them going forward. Looking forward to how your steel plate works out. It looks good on line an pretty reasonably priced too.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:45 PM
CayennePepper is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anybody tried these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Caye...JWltQu&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-St...lTWzFC&vxp=mtr

I know the last reply was back in 2015 but in that time, it looks like some companies in china created stainless rear bumper steel guards.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:48 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CayennePepper
Has anybody tried these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Caye...JWltQu&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-St...lTWzFC&vxp=mtr

I know the last reply was back in 2015 but in that time, it looks like some companies in china created stainless rear bumper steel guards.
I have the 2nd one. Quite nice - and put on to avoid the same thing you've experienced. It does go over the edge of the bumper, so it actually provides excellent protection. The "Cayenne" logo on it is hidden with the tailgate closed, all that shows is a small strip of brushed stainless that wraps over the edge of the bumper. If you have the silver strip at the bottom of your tailgate it will match almost perfectly.

Lets see if I can find a few photos.. hang on...

Found'm. This was discussed in a different thread, perhaps here, or on another forum.

Can't speak to the one with the ribs. That does resemble the one used on the 955/957 series. It looks like it may have a lip on it to go over the edge, but they don't show it on the bumper.

The first one is probably the best packed item I've ever received from China (and it came in about a week or less..) here is the packaging:

Amazing packaging. No instructions - but it doesn't need them. I did use a grease pencil to mark the center of the bumper and the center of the piece of trim to make it easy to line up. The grease pencil marks can be rubbed right off when done.

BTW - here is the other thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rotection.html

Last edited by deilenberger; 10-24-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:39 AM
RickDC is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deilenberger
I have the 2nd one. Quite nice - and put on to avoid the same thing you've experienced. It does go over the edge of the bumper, so it actually provides excellent protection. The "Cayenne" logo on it is hidden with the tailgate closed, all that shows is a small strip of brushed stainless that wraps over the edge of the bumper. If you have the silver strip at the bottom of your tailgate it will match almost perfectly.
I picked up the same one because of your recommendation, came in a week and was super easy to install.

The only issue I have is that it's not smudge-proof, so every mark shows super easily.. but other than that, it's perfect! Thanks for the recommendation :-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rear cargo sill protector