Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Diesel reliability & maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by visitador
Didn't I read somewhere (maybe from you Gnat) that one of the reasons is because Porsche is not sure about the quality of the diesel fuel in the U.S?
Don't know if I posted that, but it is the prevailing theory. Given that other VAG vehicles use the same engine with a higher OCI I don't know if that is the full story though.

The reasonable side of me says that it may be that coupled with an expectation of Porsche owners driving harder. The cynical side says its just so they can get more service money.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gnat
For $69 you should see if they'll let you pre-buy a bunch of changes!!

I have to assume that's with you providing the parts and liquids since they are in that area by themselves, but still $69 just for the labor and fees is pretty damn good compared to my area.
they told me to bring my own filter, because they don't know if its different or not, but that was about it.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:17 AM
visitador will become famous soon enoughvisitador will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by powdercoatmike
they told me to bring my own filter, because they don't know if its different or not, but that was about it.
I assume they were able to reset the computer for the next scheduled maintenance, right?

Old 07-25-2013, 08:09 PM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
haven't been in yet, but I would think they can.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:42 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
The reasonable side of me says that it may be that coupled with an expectation of Porsche owners driving harder. The cynical side says its just so they can get more service money.
If it was truly a matter of service money, they'd write the warranty to classify other-than-dealer oil changes as a violation. And driving a diesel hard actually keeps it cleaner. The issue is with diesel soot. Soot is a byproduct of partially burnt diesel fuel. It's what turns the engine oil black. The C30 oil is formulated to help keep that soot in suspension. Otherwise it would sink to the bottom of the pan and form sludge. My theory is that the our low cetane fuel is forming more sludge than Porsche expected. Hence drain hot oil every 5k, to minimize sludge accumulation.

So fast driving maintains temperatures that are not soot-friendly, and I don't doubt that the fuel burn is more complete as well. It may be why this is the only diesel engine I've seen that operates at 95 degrees Centigrade. All my previous diesels have had thermostats ranging between 70C and 85C. And it also may explain why the owner manual does not recommend warming up the engine before driving. It's pretty evident that they just want you to start and go. Slow/sluggish driving and cool engine temperatures accelerates soot accumulation.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 07-26-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:01 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by grohgreg
If it was truly a matter of service money, they'd write the warranty to classify other-than-dealer oil changes as a violation.
Except that would be illegal for them to do/enforce in the US. Even without a requirement they know that most people will take their cars (for any brand) back to the dealer for service intervals anyway though. I don't think anyone can look at what dealers are charging for an OCI and not see that there is a significant profit being made from them.

I'm not saying that really has anything to do with the lower OCI, just that my cynical side would believe it

If soot/sludge was really a problem, wouldn't the other cooler engines have more problems with this and wouldn't the other MFGs change the OCIs accordingly? Especially the VAG brands which have the same engine?

I'm sure Porsche has some good technical reasons for it, but they haven't said and I don't think the simpler answers add up.

Last edited by gnat; 07-26-2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: fixed quoting syntax. stupid iphone!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:21 AM
grohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of lightgrohgreg is a glorious beacon of light
If soot/sludge was really a problem, wouldn't the other cooler engines have more problems with this and wouldn't the other MFGs change the OCIs accordingly? Especially the VAG brands which have the same engine?.
I've owned 10 diesels over the years, the most recent a 2011 Touareg. None of those vehicles were of the "clean diesel" design. Pretty sure that didn't get introduced until MY2013. Can't speak for other diesel manufacturers, as I don't know anything about their individual clean diesel designs. Admittedly, the 2013 Touareg TDI is the same basic clean diesel design. So the difference in the OCI may be as simple as the difference between a VW-tuned engine and a Porsche-tuned engine. That said, would you be surprised if VW decided to lower their OCI as well?

Regardless of manufacturer, additional heat is necessary to the particulate removal process. But it seems that the current Porsche DPF/DEF design is a double-edged sword; while lowering emissions and eliminating dirty tail pipes, it seemingly aggravates the soot problem

//greg//

Old 07-26-2013, 07:42 AM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
I've owned 10 diesels over the years, the most recent a 2011 Touareg. None of those vehicles were of the "clean diesel" design. Pretty sure that didn't get introduced until MY2013. Can't speak for other diesel manufacturers, as I don't know anything about their individual clean diesel designs. Admittedly, the 2013 Touareg TDI is the same basic clean diesel design. So the difference in the OCI may be as simple as the difference between a VW-tuned engine and a Porsche-tuned engine. That said, would you be surprised if VW decided to lower their OCI as well?

Regardless of manufacturer, additional heat is necessary to the particulate removal process. But it seems that the current Porsche DPF/DEF design is a double-edged sword; while lowering emissions and eliminating dirty tail pipes, it seemingly aggravates the soot problem

//greg//
Your 2011 Touareg should have been of the same clean diesel design. Same DPF and adblue injection.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 AM
That said, would you be surprised if VW decided to lower their OCI as well?
Not at all. In fact if there is good sound reasoning for why Porsche has done it then I would expect VW and Audi to do it as well.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Your 2011 Touareg should have been of the same clean diesel design. Same DPF and adblue injection.
Nope. Same block perhaps, but not the same engine. My 2011 VW had the 225hp CATA engine, the 2013 Porsche (new designation unknown) engine has 240hp. Don't know about internals, but - among the visual differences - the CD engine has more heat shielding, different turbo, different turbo location, relocated oil fill neck, relocated oil filter. Plus the VW had over 17,000 miles on it when I traded, yet I have absolutely no recollection of an AdBlue system. That said, perhaps my 15 months of Touareg ownership was just one extended senior moment.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 07-26-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 AM
RedBent is on a distinguished road
If the diesels are meant to be driven a little harder to keep the engine temps up, does that mean a lot of miles in traffic conditions may ultimately be detrimental to the engines longevity?

Old 07-26-2013, 11:19 AM
I doubt it. In the old days you'd just take a diesel up on the freeway and "blow'em out"; that is, run it in a lower gear so you can redline the engine for a mile or so - or at least until you don't see black smoke in the mirrors anymore. Not so with these newer diesels, that's done with the particulate removal system. That by itself requires heat, more than can come from the exhaust alone. When highway driving alone can't keep the DPF clean, a mixture of diesel fuel and DEF is injected by the computer to burn the filter clean. That necessarily adds to fuel consumption as well.

//greg//

Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Needsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud ofNeedsdecaf has much to be proud of
Nope. Same block perhaps, but not the same engine. My 2011 VW had the 225hp CATA engine, the 2013 Porsche (new designation unknown) engine has 240hp. Don't know about internals, but - among the visual differences - the CD engine has more heat shielding, different turbo, different turbo location, relocated oil fill neck, relocated oil filter. Plus the VW had over 17,000 miles on it when I traded, yet I have absolutely no recollection of an AdBlue system. That said, perhaps my 15 months of Touareg ownership was just one extended senior moment.

//greg//
Must have been. See post 3.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=323830

(P.S., I searched for 2011 Touareg TDI DEF and this was one of the first hits. I didn't seek out one with you in it!).

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 07-26-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 PM
You're right , definitely a senior moment. The subsequent 16k miles/14.5 months of ownership with no AdBlue events definitely scrubbed memory. That said, the VW spare was an 18" donut. The 18" collapsible in the Porsche affords me a constant visual reminder that there's a n AdBlue fill cap under there

Old 07-26-2013, 07:51 PM
You're right , definitely a senior moment. The subsequent 16k miles/14.5 months of ownership with no AdBlue events definitely scrubbed memory. That said, the VW spare was an 18" donut. The 18" collapsible in the Porsche affords me a constant visual reminder that there's a n AdBlue fill cap under there
Better than no spare and goofy RFT's in my BMW.

Does the Porsche spare have a goo can or a compressor?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diesel reliability & maintenance