Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 07:00 AM
sterz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by edmtwentyone
If you enjoy violently crashing.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QdE8sP4QDF8
Wonder how many times Porsche has been sued over this issue.

Have the people who's had the part fail filed with NHTSA?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:06 AM
amablemiguel will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sterz
Won't the parking brake help out then?
No the Parking brake works below 6 or 5 Kph or 5 mph

Old 07-14-2016, 08:09 AM
amablemiguel will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by edmtwentyone
If you enjoy violently crashing. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QdE8sP4QDF8
you won't crash if you push the E-Parking Brake, it just won't engage for the same reason, avoid a crash. It has a fail safe feature that prevents it from engaging if the user tries it above 4-5 mph. I tested it at about 2 mph and better not to do it. It stopped my CTT too violently.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:50 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
Wtf , no brakes !? o.O

Old 07-20-2016, 01:00 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porschecayenne92
Wtf , no brakes !? o.O
More likely no power assist for the brakes - meaning if you stand on the brake pedal with both feet and all your weight you stand a chance of slowing the vehicle down.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:02 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
BTW - still looking for someone who can send me a defective bolt, or even the entire adjuster so I can source some steel replacement bolts. If we can find those - the "fix" probably won't require more than 3-4 hours of labor.. and I'd be willing to do a DIY of doing it.

Anyone? Buhler?

Old 08-06-2016, 04:36 AM
MASTER is on a distinguished road
I am currently having the same problem 2011 Cayenne S with 68,000 miles car with the dealership in Dubai out of warranty i am really disappointed with such manufacturing defect service advisor estimated the cost of repair above $10K.

Two cam sprocket screws where found in bank 1 couldn't find the other two but they are some where inside.

Engine will be pulled out to preforme the rebuild.

The service advisor advised me some Cayennes and Panamera's 2011 models were called for the same issue and were serviced before the problem raises.

Just wanted to share my experience with you about my cayenne which is the last porsche car i buy.

First Cam Sprocket screw

Second cam sprocket screw

Old 08-06-2016, 05:49 AM
boxs1 is on a distinguished road
Mine was same cayenne S 2011 and i had the problem ,
i have 4 valves bent very bad situation

Old 08-06-2016, 07:46 AM
sterz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MASTER
I am currently having the same problem 2011 Cayenne S with 68,000 miles car with the dealership in Dubai out of warranty i am really disappointed with such manufacturing defect service advisor estimated the cost of repair above $10K.

Two cam sprocket screws where found in bank 1 couldn't find the other two but they are some where inside.

Engine will be pulled out to preforme the rebuild.

The service advisor advised me some Cayennes and Panamera's 2011 models were called for the same issue and were serviced before the problem raises.

Just wanted to share my experience with you about my cayenne which is the last porsche car i buy.
would it be possible to ship the old bolts to one of the member on there?

Old 08-06-2016, 10:57 AM
I was going to ask if it would be possible to ship one of the complete bad adjusters/sprockets to me, so I can disassemble it and determine what sort of bolts could be used for replacements. If you're paying for the job to be done - the old parts are yours, not Porsches..

One concern I have - I'm wondering if the reason Porsche doesn't simply replace the bolts - might be the manufacturer of the Variocam adjuster used Loctite on the bolts. If so - say they used red (high-strength) Loctite, the force required to back a bolt out to replace it might exceed the sheer force that will take the head off the aluminum bolt.

Only way to tell that is to try - so a complete adjuster would be a good thing to try it on.

Master, if that's possble - please PM me and we can arrange so I pay shipping costs.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
I was going to ask if it would be possible to ship one of the complete bad adjusters/sprockets to me, so I can disassemble it and determine what sort of bolts could be used for replacements. If you're paying for the job to be done - the old parts are yours, not Porsches..

One concern I have - I'm wondering if the reason Porsche doesn't simply replace the bolts - might be the manufacturer of the Variocam adjuster used Loctite on the bolts. If so - say they used red (high-strength) Loctite, the force required to back a bolt out to replace it might exceed the sheer force that will take the head off the aluminum bolt.

Only way to tell that is to try - so a complete adjuster would be a good thing to try it on.

Master, if that's possble - please PM me and we can arrange so I pay shipping costs.
My pleasure i will try to get the damaged parts from the dealer once my car is serviced will ask for it.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:25 PM
My pleasure i will try to get the damaged parts from the dealer once my car is serviced will ask for it.
GREAT! Thanks!

Old 08-08-2016, 05:35 AM
boxs1 is on a distinguished road
Did you have bent valves ? or still no news ?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by boxs1
Did you have bent valves ? or still no news ?
No luckily there was nothing else the good news i received today from My delear is they are repairing the engine
free of charge under Porsche goodwell warrenty or called manufacturer warranty.

they had to pull down the entire engine on order to preform full checkup as well as to take photos of the damged parts.

As informed they got the approval from the manufacturer after forearfing the photos with their recommendation as such they were advised to proceed with the repair under such warranty.

Thank you Porsche 😀😀😀

Last edited by MASTER; 08-09-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
GREAT! Thanks!
I inquired if possiable to take the damged parts the sprockets and the bolts they advised it belongs to them now since the engine is getting repaired by the manufacturer warranty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?