Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 06:49 PM
Rostamon8 is on a distinguished road
Cool Campaign Champagne

WC-22 was the campaign. I'm am 100% sure of this as I have probably performed this repair over 100 times. It was a required service action paid for under warranty regardless of mileage or age. More or less Porsche uses "campaign" as a fancy word for recall. It applied to V6 and V8, Cayenne and Panamera but only certain VINs.

I have recently been informed that some dealers are covering this failure under the vehicle's emissions warranty rather than the regular warranty. The ability to change intake cam timing was the advancement that allowed them to remove the EGR system therefore the camshaft adjuster was the device the engine used to reduce NOx emissions and under some states interpretation of the law, can be covered under emissions warranty. Depending on the state you are in the emissions warranty is either 7-70 or 8-80. I would mention this to my dealer before I paid out of pocket.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:07 PM
kar
kar is on a distinguished road
Porsche Cayenne

Dealer looked at it and no warrant. I have this job in the works and all I can say is very poor set up.
Broken intake cam gear on bank one two bent valves. With the engine out and a part found a lot of bolts in the timing cover broken. The cam gear on bank #2 has two broken bolts. Very poor design. Cayenne 4.8 litre turbo made in September 2010 with only 128367 kms. Very poor

Last edited by kar; 03-21-2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: More
Old 03-21-2016, 07:57 PM
Rostamon8 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Quality parts.

Sorry to hear that. I just did my engine and it had two bent valves as well. In the dealer setting I would say 1 in 10 or less actually bend valves. I guess we're just lucky.

Just remember Porsche, like every other car manufacturer, outsources these parts to the lowest bidder. It's not really a problem with Porsche quality as much as it's a problem with the vendor they chose. When Porsche designs and builds a part in-house it's normally indestructible and very pricey. The car market has forced them to be more competitive with manufacturing cost and find ways to be more efficient on the assembly side.

I have heard rumors that the camshaft adjusters will be part of a class action lawsuit like the coolant pipes were in the first gen (9PA) Cayenne. Don't hold me to it, but I would definitely save my documentation for this repair just in case I could ever be reimbursed via such a suit.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:23 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Rostaman,

Any way to get the range of VIN#'s. Owning a 2011 Turbo makes me a bit concerned. My dealer is not proactive on things like this..

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Toolmann is on a distinguished road
Catastrophic Engine failure

Just went through this with my '11 S. Had to go a few rounds with the dealership on it but in the end Porsche covered it under the emissions warranty. 46k miles. Was told it was a $27K repair!

Old 03-27-2016, 01:47 AM
boxs1 is on a distinguished road
Hello All
I have the same problem last week on the highway Cayenne S 2011
I open a Bank 2 Cover and i found 3 bolt fallen and the 4th is missing
I am not sure now maybe i bent valve too ..
What should i do now Any advance please
Thank you

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.JPG
Views:	506
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	443892  

Last edited by boxs1; 03-27-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:20 PM
kar
Leakdown

Originally Posted by boxs1
Hello All
I have the same problem last week on the highway Cayenne S 2011
I open a Bank 2 Cover and i found 3 bolt fallen and the 4th is missing
I am not sure now maybe i bent valve too ..
What should i do now Any advance please
Thank you
First thing you need to is a leak down test and go from there

Old 03-28-2016, 08:39 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kar
First thing you need to is a leak down test and go from there
How is a leak-down test going to be done if one camshaft isn't turning?

Old 03-29-2016, 08:50 PM
MountainStone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Rostaman,

Any way to get the range of VIN#'s. Owning a 2011 Turbo makes me a bit concerned. My dealer is not proactive on things like this..

Thanks!
I'm still researching for a purchase and this issue is of great concern. Is there a way to learn the affected VINs? Is there a way to learn whether a pre-owned car has had the 'fix'? Is the fix DIY-friendly?

Edit: Just found this article: http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...oreUserAgent=1 (sorry couldn't remember how to shorten the link) that states affected Cayennes were manufactured between March 2010 and Sep 2011. I believe Cayennes manufactured in Oct 2011 are considered 2012 models, so it appears every 2011 S and TT is in the affected group.

Last edited by MountainStone; 03-29-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:12 PM
kar
Leak down test

Originally Posted by deilenberger
How is a leak-down test going to be done if one camshaft isn't turning?
You need to move the camshaft by hand to make sure the valves are closed then bring the piston to the top and test

Old 03-30-2016, 03:10 AM
arknet is on a distinguished road
panamera turbo camshaft

same problem panamera turbo 2009. 120.000 km.

the action does not include me porsche.

A big problem. I wrote to the head office in Stuttgart. We'll see what will respond.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:27 AM
ARKNET
When did you broke it ?
Do they reply you back ?

My car same the VIN not include in the recall cars but the the Part is the Defect one in my Cayenne S

Last edited by boxs1; 03-30-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:30 AM
I contact Local dealer her in Europe wont help me !

Old 03-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by kar
You need to move the camshaft by hand to make sure the valves are closed then bring the piston to the top and test
The problem here is - the camshaft MUST be moved in sync with the pistons rising and falling in the bores, or you WILL end up with bent valves due to the another cylinder having the cam-lobes in the exhaust position (fully open) as the piston in that cylinder rises.

It's an easy test to do IF the camshafts are turning as they should, and near impossible to do if they aren't.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:50 AM
I would think - given http://europe.autonews.com/article/2.../ANE/150209861 - that it might be in Porsche's best interests (especially considering the diesel engine black-eye) that if this occurred on any Cayenne (or Panamera) V8, they'd simply fix it quietly rather then risk another mandatory recall by the US authorities. And that they might do this pro-actively, try to mitigate the problem before it becomes fodder for another class-action lawsuit.

Just a thought for those Porsche web-media monitors who undoubtedly are watching this thread... get ahead of the problem rather then run into it head on with the inevitable consequences.

Glad I bought an extended warranty..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snapped Camshaft Adjuster Bolt = Engine & Brake Hydraulics Failure ?