Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Annoying engine rattle - 958.1 hybrid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 02:27 PM
nickbush is an unknown quantity at this point
Annoying engine rattle - 958.1 hybrid

Hi, everyone - this is my first post on the forum...

Just over a year ago, I bought a 2014 Cayenne S Hybrid. It had just a bit over 20k miles - still under factory warranty, and Porsche Approved for 2 years / unlimited miles, which is great because I have a long commute and put almost 30k miles on it so far! But it's been great, perfectly reliable with no issues. I should say, no issues except for one thing which is REALLY annoying. Since I've owned it, there is a very noticeable rattle when starting it cold (95% of the time), and sometimes warm (maybe 20% of the time). You can hear it for about 2 seconds after it starts, but it's not constant as it idles. This same rattle sound dominates the engine note when accelerating, starting around half throttle... I'd describe it as sounding like an old-school diesel tractor with rod knock. Revving in neutral doesn't produce the rattle.

Dealership #1 (shortly after I bought it) told me it was normal, and I was just hearing induction noise. Without meaning to sound like a know-it-all, I know what induction noise sounds like. I can clearly hear the induction noise PLUS the rattle. Also, I've driven a number of other Cayenne Hybrids (almost bought one new in 2013) and none sounded like this. I've also heard the supercharged 3.0 in a variety of Audis, and again, no comparison. Plus, it just sounds crappy, as in there's no way a Porsche would intentionally sound like this.

Dealership #2 (very recently for the 50k service) found that the supercharger pulley bearing was worn / loud and replaced it. I don't know if they road tested it and listened for the rattle under load, or assumed the new pulley solved the issue, but there was no change after this fix. In fairness, they were awesome and I haven't gone back to them yet... I'm sure they will be helpful when I do. I'm just looking for possible leads first, or in case this is a known issue.

Any help would be awesome... Thanks!

Nick

Old 12-26-2023, 10:28 PM
cmnecgsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nickbush
Hi, everyone - this is my first post on the forum...

Just over a year ago, I bought a 2014 Cayenne S Hybrid. It had just a bit over 20k miles - still under factory warranty, and Porsche Approved for 2 years / unlimited miles, which is great because I have a long commute and put almost 30k miles on it so far! But it's been great, perfectly reliable with no issues. I should say, no issues except for one thing which is REALLY annoying. Since I've owned it, there is a very noticeable rattle when starting it cold (95% of the time), and sometimes warm (maybe 20% of the time). You can hear it for about 2 seconds after it starts, but it's not constant as it idles. This same rattle sound dominates the engine note when accelerating, starting around half throttle... I'd describe it as sounding like an old-school diesel tractor with rod knock. Revving in neutral doesn't produce the rattle.

Dealership #1 (shortly after I bought it) told me it was normal, and I was just hearing induction noise. Without meaning to sound like a know-it-all, I know what induction noise sounds like. I can clearly hear the induction noise PLUS the rattle. Also, I've driven a number of other Cayenne Hybrids (almost bought one new in 2013) and none sounded like this. I've also heard the supercharged 3.0 in a variety of Audis, and again, no comparison. Plus, it just sounds crappy, as in there's no way a Porsche would intentionally sound like this.

Dealership #2 (very recently for the 50k service) found that the supercharger pulley bearing was worn / loud and replaced it. I don't know if they road tested it and listened for the rattle under load, or assumed the new pulley solved the issue, but there was no change after this fix. In fairness, they were awesome and I haven't gone back to them yet... I'm sure they will be helpful when I do. I'm just looking for possible leads first, or in case this is a known issue.

Any help would be awesome... Thanks!

Nick
I have a 2013 Cayenne Hybrid with the exact same issue. It eventually goes away after its warmed up. Very annoying issue. Wondered if you ever found out the issue?