Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

2014 Cayenne: S vs GTS

Old 02-28-2014, 01:11 AM
rightleft007 is on a distinguished road
2014 Cayenne: S vs GTS

Hi everyone, this is my first post here as I am considering to buy a Cayenne and I would appreciate if you can share your feedback and experience with the Cayenne.

I have been driving an X5 since 2007 and it has done a superb job till it started wearing out and I had to sell it because of high maintenance costs.

Currently, I have 2 offers to buy a Cayenne S for USD 95k and the GTS for USD 102K - this offer comes with a 3 years warranty (open mileage) and a service contract of 3 years or 77k KM which is equal to around 46600 miles (whichever comes first).

Both cars have already been pre-ordered by the dealer with specific options so the GTS will only vary from the outside mainly (Rims, colored breakpads, exhaust system, front grill, etc). For the interior and handling specs, options are almost the same so there isn't much compromise.

This is considered an attractive offer price wise because the earlier prices were higher but they are doing this sale because of the upcoming facelift due end of this year.

I would like your feedback on the below:

1. Is it worth to go for a non-fully loaded GTS especially if the handling options are the same?
2. Once the facelift is released, how many years do they usually need before they release the fully changed car? which year expected?
3. In terms of reliability and durability, how do you rate it? Do u visit the maintenance very often for sudden problems? Do u notice things wearing out easily and fast?
4. How comfortable are the seats? the one in the test drive weren't but the sales told me the ones offered are having better seats.

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM
xray doc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rightleft007
Hi everyone, this is my first post here as I am considering to buy a Cayenne and I would appreciate if you can share your feedback and experience with the Cayenne.

I have been driving an X5 since 2007 and it has done a superb job till it started wearing out and I had to sell it because of high maintenance costs.

Currently, I have 2 offers to buy a Cayenne S for USD 95k and the GTS for USD 102K - this offer comes with a 3 years warranty (open mileage) and a service contract of 3 years or 77k KM which is equal to around 46600 miles (whichever comes first).

Both cars have already been pre-ordered by the dealer with specific options so the GTS will only vary from the outside mainly (Rims, colored breakpads, exhaust system, front grill, etc). For the interior and handling specs, options are almost the same so there isn't much compromise.

This is considered an attractive offer price wise because the earlier prices were higher but they are doing this sale because of the upcoming facelift due end of this year.

I would like your feedback on the below:

1. Is it worth to go for a non-fully loaded GTS especially if the handling options are the same?
2. Once the facelift is released, how many years do they usually need before they release the fully changed car? which year expected?
3. In terms of reliability and durability, how do you rate it? Do u visit the maintenance very often for sudden problems? Do u notice things wearing out easily and fast?
4. How comfortable are the seats? the one in the test drive weren't but the sales told me the ones offered are having better seats.

Thanks in advance.
GTS drives better, sounds better, does not feel, at least to me, much if any faster. Could not tell you about reliability as if yet, my first Cayenne is a 2014. The 18-way adjustable seats are the most comfortable car seats I have ever been in.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:34 AM
HOiYA will become famous soon enough
I was pretty much in your boat 6-8 months ago. I too came over from a 2007 X5 to a Cayenne, albeit to a CTTS.

If it were me, I would opt for the GTS. It has slightly more "standard" options over an S. Also as already mentioned, it has a different suspension, slightly more power, and aero kit. This is to not say the $7k in difference is small, but I think the "extras" on the GTS surpass the price difference.

The handling of the GTS most definitely surpasses the S. The GTS has air suspension and can be lowered beyond that of the S.

I'm new to Porsche so I am not really sure of the cycles. As I recall in the X5, it was another 2-3 years after the X5 LCI facelift wasn't it? I would assume something similar?

Can't comment as yet since I am still in the break in period.

I have the 18 way adjustable seats and love them. Some folks have said they are slightly too snug, especially if you have a larger frame. Others have also raised a concern of the wear on leather on the side bolsters.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
I feel the same as HOiYA on the 18 way seats. They are extraordinary but I am thin and adjust them to snug up on me and hold me in place. I oocasinally use leather cleaner on them if the side bolsters pick up some blue jean transfer. Having purchased a 2013 turbo I would think the GTS would be more enjoyable. The GTS looks great with its included sport package design and 4 black tail pipes. I didn't like the sound of the GTS exhaust compared to the turbo and I have never had the pleasure of driving a Cayenne S. I have had no problems with my CTT in one year.

Rob

Old 03-01-2014, 03:57 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
I'd recommend the GTS over the S as well.

Also, ditto the above on the 18-way seats. While the 14-way and 18-way are both a tad snug for me, the 18-way are much more comfortable when i spread the side bolsters out as far as they go.

Specifically, the 14-way side bolsters (not adjustable) were too snug for my lats. I didn't like the pressure under my arm pits because i have a more muscular build (but only 5'9" in height).

With that said, I highly doubt i would ever purchase my next Cayenne w/ 14-way seats based on first hand experience with the loaner Cayenne's when my CTT has been in for service.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:16 PM
kechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to beholdkechang is a splendid one to behold
I would choose GTS purely based on the looks alone, the add on all the benefits of the GTS over the S makes this decision an insanely easy one.

I've had 2 X5's before, and you are going to LOVE the GTS once you drive it.