Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

PCM shutting down again. Service did update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
PCM shutting down again. Service did update

Over a year ago I described a problem where the PCM would shut down and restart often while driving. The problem disappeared for over year and returned recently doing the same thing. I tried resetting the whole PCM but that didn't help. I brought it to service today and they updated the PCM to version 4.57 so hopefully that does the trick
I haven't looked yet to see if I get album art which my previous version didn't get.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I had this same problem with 14' Panamera's PCM. They tried to do all the updates and all sorts of troubleshooting but it didn't do anything but make it a short term fix.

The Porsche NA rep for my dealer had the "HD" signal turned off and it did the trick. Well at least for now.....Been about 3 months trouble free.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Very interesting because the service manager asked if I had HD in mine and said that it might be part of the problem. I never listen to HD radio because it has so many drop outs and delays in capturing the signal that I never use it anyway. I will try keeping it shut off in the menu select.
I'll repost if it gives me trouble again.
Thanks.

Last edited by Harlequin NY; 07-08-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:33 PM
TGED is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Harlequin NY
Over a year ago I described a problem where the PCM would shut down and restart often while driving. The problem disappeared for over year and returned recently doing the same thing. I tried resetting the whole PCM but that didn't help. I brought it to service today and they updated the PCM to version 4.57 so hopefully that does the trick
I haven't looked yet to see if I get album art which my previous version didn't get.
Harlequin, are you able to get album art with this new update? How about the Jukebox feature?

Old 07-09-2014, 06:08 PM
TGED My 2013 was built just after they starting adding the Juke Box function so I have that but I never saw album art on the display.
Now I am wondering if album art would now show up since they updated the version but I don't see anything yet.
I actually don't know what source material has album art in it?
I just make playlists of MP3's that I record off the internet and have never seen any. I cancelled XM satellite radio because the sound was so inferior.
I would like to put a CD in the drive to see if anything shows up but I haven't bought a new CD in a long time and don't know if my old CD's have album art.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Harlequin, album art and Jukebox are introduced together for car built dates starting Nov 2012. It is strange that you have the Jukebox but not the album art. My album art shows up on Jukebox, iPod or USB sticks, and CDs which contain metadata music files. Store purchased audio CDs and songs played through Bluetooth do not show album art. My software version is only 4.52, not as new as yours. So you should definitely be able to get album art. Most of my songs are bought from iTunes and they all contain album art.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	395806  
Old 07-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Interesting. I think mine was built in Nov 2012 as you said.
I load MP3's on a USB stick in to the Juke Box. I get the music from the internet especially SKY.FM and record to a program called Sound Forge and put the songs on the USB stick.
Do you think the metadata is on the songs from that source?

Old 07-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Harlequin, you may want to plug in your USB stick into a computer and see if the songs contain album art. The way I do it is I copy and paste my iTunes songs into music files outside of iTunes, and I use a free program called MP3TAG to 'tag' the metadata onto each song. And then I copy and paste the songs onto a USB stick. I have over 500 songs in my Jukebox arranged in different folders and they all contain proper album art. I have also ripped many of my old CDs into my computer and I search online for JPEG images of the album art, best resolution is a 600x600 square photo, I then use MP3TAG to tag the album art onto the songs. You can easily search online to look for album art for any of your songs that do not have them. Hope this helps.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Oh wow you do some serious work to get the art going. Isn't the image you see for the art small on the PCM screen? It seems like a lot of work for a small image?

Also if you had XM SAT radio, did you see any art on songs played through them?

thanks, Rob

Old 07-09-2014, 08:14 PM
You can get a bigger image by selecting show Details. I don't know about XM since I do not have it. I do have Porsche Online Service and it does show artwork for every song and any audio program.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 AM
OK TGED I have the answer. I took a few songs and played them on Windows Media Player and I see the album art on there. But when I take the same song and bring it to the car on a USB stick it doesn't show album art. I also went to the show Details page and still see the ever present music symbol but no art. So it must not have been in my hardware and I am also thinking that mine might have been built in Oct 2012 when they were just starting to add juke box.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Harlequin, can you find out what format and resolution your album art pics are? They need to be JPEG with a resolution of less than 700x700. Album art feature is not hardware related and I think your PCM should be able to display it.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 AM
Ummm. The album art I am seeing on Windows Media player was already imbedded in the song so wouldn't it be the right resolution to appear on any current players including the Cayenne's ?
When I look at the image in Media Player I don't see a way of checking it's resolution. I still find it hard to believe that the image shows up on the computer but not the car's screen. And I have have played a lot of songs in the car and never had album art show up.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 AM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Harlequin NY
OK TGED I have the answer. I took a few songs and played them on Windows Media Player and I see the album art on there. But when I take the same song and bring it to the car on a USB stick it doesn't show album art. I also went to the show Details page and still see the ever present music symbol but no art. So it must not have been in my hardware and I am also thinking that mine might have been built in Oct 2012 when they were just starting to add juke box.
You can check https://admin.porschedealer.com/reports/build_sheets/ to see if it has your VIN. If so that will give you your build date.

Anything prior to Nov 2012 (I'm Oct and would have waited the extra few days if Porsche actually supplied useful information ) doesn't have art or the jukebox. If you have one, then you have the other is my understanding.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Harlequin, do you have any i-Device, iPod, iPhone or iPad? If not, see if you can borrow one that contains songs, any songs that show up on an iDevice with an album art should have it displayed in the PCM when connected with an Apple cable through the USB socket.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCM shutting down again. Service did update