Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Not shifting, not releasing brake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 08:28 AM
nhirsch will become famous soon enoughnhirsch will become famous soon enough
Not shifting, not releasing brake?

Had an unusual pair of problems with my 2012 CTT this week for just one day/night. First, I haven’t been using it much since I got my other car (Telsa S, P85+), maybe once every 2 weeks for the past four months. There have been no problems until that day/night when I noticed that in Automatic, when I start out, it didn’t shift from 1 (first) gear (or 2nd gear when I slowed down to that gear and then go again in Automatic). The Engine rev'd up and the car goes but without shifting the gear. If I shift over to manual, I can go into 2, 3, 4, etc with no problem, and flicking it back into Auto it appears to work again. It’s was intermittent when I started out from a stop, it doesn’t shift or it then again it might shift. The second thing which is also weird is when I put the foot on the brake to stop, it works fine but when I let off the brake, the car continues to brake and stops. Giving it gas until it has to get enough power to overcome the brake like it’s sticking, then it seems OK, but will do the same again at the next stop. Just started this afternoon but wanted you to know of these issues. The car has about 14 thousand miles. There was another noise and maybe even some vibration (like road noise) but I wasn’t sure.

My wife took videos of these issues as we drove home that night. Three videos. One (9224) demonstrating the shifting problem in both 1st and later from rolling in 2nd gear, the second video (9226) shows it worked normal the next time, the third (9228) shows both the shifting problem again from 1st gear and the brake issue. Earlier that night when I pulled into a parking lot and stopped, it wouldn’t move again until I gave it what was clearly too much gas, and it then lurched out of stopped position almost like I had one foot on the brake and the other on the gas and then released the brake.. So there were clearly issues with both the shifting of the transmission and the brake release.

Video 1 IMG 9224

Video 2 IMG 9226

Video 3 IMG 9228

I don’t think my little usage should cause it to be so “sticky”. The following day there were no problems. That night I ran the OBD2 tester on the car and there were no errors. Today there are no problems. Any thoughts? Do you think it's a symptom of jealousy?

Old 09-18-2014, 01:04 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Don't know what the issue is, but I wouldn't be driving it until you at least talk to the dealer about it. Brakes not working as expected is a serious safety concern and your transmission issues could damage it or your engine.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Dealer and I agreed to wait and see this morning as I had two days without issue but it happened again this afternoon=same issues (not shifting and brake locking up), so they are arranging to pick the car up next week. Two more videos from today:

Old 09-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Dealer (Champion Porsche - sponsor of this forum) found the problem and it was a single thing: the bushing on the brake pedal! Replaced the bushing and all is well. Explanation: When the brake is slightly pushed (or not released fully), the tiptronic will not shift gears. Also because the brake is slightly depressed, it stops even when you release the pedal because it's not really released. The foreman at Champion determined this from the videos and the computer also noted a break fault.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 AM
Got the car back and wanted to followup with one thing. The paperwork says:

"Installed new brake pedal bushings as per SY2713. Road tested OK."