Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Changing the engine air filters on 958 Cayenne - DIY w/ pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 11:33 AM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Changing the engine air filters on 958 Cayenne - DIY w/ pics

Very easy and cheap DIY for the air filters on a 958 Cayenne Turbo.

These filters are pretty universal between various Cayenne models and VW Touareg, regardless of engine size (V8, turbo or diesel).
IIRC, i spent around 30 bucks for two filters.
Start to finish time took no more than 30-minutes.

Remove the small additional cover (top portion for coolant access) on passenger's side.

Passenger's side: Remove the plastic 'push pins' in order to remove the side cover. This provides access to the air filter box.

Driver's side: Remove the plastic 'push pins' in order to remove the side cover. There is approximately 4 per side. This provides access to the filter box.

Removal of the plastic housing on either side requires removal of the 'push pins'. Use a small flathead or knife to pop the middle section up...then lift the entire 'pin'

Passenger's side air filter box after side panel removal.

Driver's side air filter box after panel removal

The above plastic screws/bolts only need to be pulled straight up. While there is a slot/key at the bottom, i didn't have to use any tools to turn and align. This allows you to disconnect the tubing from air filter box. Once disconnected, you will be able to lift the air filter box to allow access to the filter.

A close up of the hole slot and end of plastic 'bolt'

Gently pull the plastic tubing out from the air box then lift the air filter box straight up to access the filter.

Air filter element is pretty obvious once air filter box is lifted up and out.

One year old filter left....new replacement on right.

Filter specs and cross reference for various brands

Old 02-01-2015, 11:55 AM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
By the way, if my DIY helped you, please feel free to comment below with your experience & consider leaving Rep points

Old 02-02-2015, 06:45 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Nice. Thanks

I did mine last weekend (cabin too) and almost wrote up a DIY, but got to lazy.

So the TT has two filters? Any of the others? The diesel only has one on the passenger side.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:42 PM
Thanks gnat.

That's actually a good question.
I'm not sure which Cayenne model take two filters and which takes one.

I could guess, but that would provide little to no value here!

Old 02-03-2015, 12:48 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Great writeup - repped!

For the 958 Cayenne here is the breakdown on Air Filters-

V6 - One filter
Hybrid - One filter
Diesel - One filter
S - Two filters
Turbo - Two filters

- Jason

Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Huh. Just got on the computer so I could give you the rep you deserve and noticed the bit about the bolts and disconnecting the pipe. I did mine on the diesel without removing that pipe, though being able to remove it and that half of the housing would have made the job less of a hassle. Will need to remember to look for those next time.

My filter was a bit over 2 years old with 20k and looked about the same. Now the cabin filter, that was really nasty!

Old 02-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Great job and explanation Blazin!!

Speaking of cabin filter, my interior started smelling bad almost like vinegar with maybe 15K miles and I brought it to Porsche to replace it. Problem solved! Would definitely like to do it myself next time! (Hi Gnat!)

Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Harlequin NY
Great job and explanation Blazin!! Speaking of cabin filter, my interior started smelling bad almost like vinegar with maybe 15K miles and I brought it to Porsche to replace it. Problem solved! Would definitely like to do it myself next time! (Hi Gnat!)
There is already a good DIY on RennTech

Don't believe the "its just like the 955/957" crowd. Once you get under the trim you'll be lost trying to look at the older model pics.

Last edited by gnat; 02-04-2015 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added Cabin Filter link
Old 02-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Harlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of lightHarlequin NY is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks Gnat master.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by gnat
Huh. Just got on the computer so I could give you the rep you deserve and noticed the bit about the bolts and disconnecting the pipe. I did mine on the diesel without removing that pipe, though being able to remove it and that half of the housing would have made the job less of a hassle. Will need to remember to look for those next time.

My filter was a bit over 2 years old with 20k and looked about the same. Now the cabin filter, that was really nasty!
Thanks gnat.
I don't see anyway i could have done it without moving those bolts and disconnecting the pipe.
There just was no room to slide the cover back or up.
I was relieved how easy it was to simply pull the bolts up and out.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by HOUSE Motorsports
Great writeup - repped!

For the 958 Cayenne here is the breakdown on Air Filters-

V6 - One filter
Hybrid - One filter
Diesel - One filter
S - Two filters
Turbo - Two filters

- Jason
Thanks Jason!
I said i wouldn't guess, but i suspected that the V8's had two filters.
In that light, I noticed that the GTS was not included in your list.
Two filters there too?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Thanks Jason!
I said i wouldn't guess, but i suspected that the V8's had two filters.
In that light, I noticed that the GTS was not included in your list.
Two filters there too?
Whoops - must be all these exhaust fumes getting to my brain - yes, the GTS does indeed take 2x filters as well!

Old 02-09-2015, 04:44 PM
So that begs the question in the 958.2 (2015) GTS:
As a 6 cylinder now.....one filter or two on the twin turbo?

I know, i know....beyond the scope of this DIY.
Just curious now

Old 02-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Former Vendor
So that begs the question in the 958.2 (2015) GTS:
As a 6 cylinder now.....one filter or two on the twin turbo?

I know, i know....beyond the scope of this DIY.
Just curious now
That's a good one...I'll be sure to make a mental note when we see our first '15 GTS!

Different chassis - but the Macan S and Macan Turbo we've done here for basic maintenance all took two filters. Both V6 Turbos

Old 02-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks gnat. I don't see anyway i could have done it without moving those bolts and disconnecting the pipe. There just was no room to slide the cover back or up. I was relieved how easy it was to simply pull the bolts up and out.
I would assume that the V6 diesel block is smaller than the V8 which would give me a bit more room than you had

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Changing the engine air filters on 958 Cayenne - DIY w/ pics