Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

diy Deviated Stitching. black or red on beige?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 01:04 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Looking really nice. I too like the yellow on the wheel, very sharp.

I like the look of the thicker thread and would expect it to be easier to deal with, but how is it working doubled at the needle? Between the thread and needle I'd be concerned about it loosening/stretching the factory stitching in the process.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:34 PM
mmdht2 will become famous soon enoughmmdht2 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by gnat
Looking really nice. I too like the yellow on the wheel, very sharp.

I like the look of the thicker thread and would expect it to be easier to deal with, but how is it working doubled at the needle? Between the thread and needle I'd be concerned about it loosening/stretching the factory stitching in the process.
it is more difficult to pull through but the leather gives a little to pull the cord through. it's a problem you can't avoid because i ran into the same problem using double thread of the heavy duty thread from Joann's. these bead cords are bonded so easier to pull through without causing too much friction like the normal thread so less fraying/damage to the factory thread.

the bead cords really looks 100x better than the threads in person (except the yellow thread looks pretty good-just too thin, needing double thread). it looks metallic. it's also super strong without any stretchability. i went to Michaels this morning and saw a bunch of silk "embroidery floss". they look great with tons of color choices but they are "spongy/stretchy" and will thin out a bit when you pull it tight. i doubt they are color fast too. the bead cords has the best selection of colors with the right size (they make a micro size cord-tex 69 which is too thin (but stronger than threads at the similar diameter 0.115mm) and has less color selection.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:07 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
Good to know. Thanks

I slipped on ice and broke an ankle while running errands yesterday before I could get to the fabric store to look at options. So now I'm stuck not moving around much and didn't even get any thread that I could start working on the headrests

Old 03-02-2015, 07:15 AM
Unhappy

Good to know. Thanks

I slipped on ice and broke an ankle while running errands yesterday before I could get to the fabric store to look at options. So now I'm stuck not moving around much and didn't even get any thread that I could start working on the headrests

sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. I'm in east Pa. got 4"snow last night. I hope the bead cords arrive soon so I can show you the color options. maybe you can find a bead shop or car upholstery shop locally to keep you busy on your days off. I went to the "fabric row" in philly but couldn't find anything. you are in a bigger city. you might be able to find some "bonded polyester" thread tex 135 or 210. the biggest one I found here is tex90 which is way too thin-about the size of the heavy duty thread from joann's.
well, at least you don't have to shovel snow today like I have to after work.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:30 AM
seabrook is infamous around these partsseabrook is infamous around these parts
Good to know. Thanks

man that sucks- sorry dude!!!

Old 03-02-2015, 10:31 AM
seabrook is infamous around these partsseabrook is infamous around these parts
the stitching in red to me looks the best! good job!

Old 03-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by mmdht2
sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. I'm in east Pa. got 4"snow last night.
Originally Posted by seabrook
man that sucks- sorry dude!!!
Turns out ER docs can't read read XRays at all (I had one tell me I would pass a kidney stone that turned out to be the size of my thumb and another last year tell me my toe was broken and it turned out not to be). According to the Ortho there is no sign of a broken bone and he expects I just messed up a tendon good. Doesn;t really change the treatment I suppose, but I should hopefully be able to put some weight on it and start using it again sooner.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:44 AM
HOiYA will become famous soon enough
Turns out ER docs can't read read XRays at all (I had one tell me I would pass a kidney stone that turned out to be the size of my thumb and another last year tell me my toe was broken and it turned out not to be). According to the Ortho there is no sign of a broken bone and he expects I just messed up a tendon good. Doesn;t really change the treatment I suppose, but I should hopefully be able to put some weight on it and start using it again sooner.
Well the good news is that it is not broken! I had something similar back in college. I ended up using an air cast to limit the ankle movement as to not aggravate the ankle any further.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:11 PM
dimok is on a distinguished road
thread

Red looks great to my taste....

How do you start and finish? Just tie the knot so it does not pull through? Are there different sizes of upholstery needles? Which one would you recommend?

Old 03-08-2015, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by dimok
Red looks great to my taste.... How do you start and finish? Just tie the knot so it does not pull through? Are there different sizes of upholstery needles? Which one would you recommend?
In my examples you can see I didn't knot. My wife thinks I should for the final product, but those threads are in there good and I can't just pull them out. So I'm probably just going to run it through and then use a pair of good thread snips to trim the tails off close (just used standard scissors for those tests).

Yes there are different size needles. I didn't look at which one I grabbed, I just used the one that didn't look like it would stretch the existing thread much.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:16 AM
received all of different threads I ordered last week. will post pics tonight. the peridot and blue color thread/cord looks insane!!! must have for people with peridot and black. the red bead cord I got is too "dull". probably not going to use it.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Can't wait to see. My foot, the weather, and some other issues have conspired to keep me from the fabric store. So I'll probably break down and just order the same stuff as you. Seeing pics of the colors in situ will be helpful

Old 03-09-2015, 04:31 PM

these are the bead cords i ordered. peridot, blue and gold look super nice in person. the neon yellow and orange are truly neon color. the two brown ones are for the beige seat covers.

the blue matches my key cover

it's hard to see but it's the darker brown cord in the first pic. i like it better than black.

close up. it's darker in person.

difficult to see in phone pic. the neon bead cord is nicer in person. the dark red i had earlier was too dark. the yellow is bonded polyester-very easy to work with and i bet the color would last longer.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks, that will give me a good reference.

I like the brown, it's very subtle but I think it works well.

For me the orange looks a bit too flashy for me. I like the red better on the wheel.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:43 PM
I ordered the Peridot, Peacock, Indigo, and French Lilac.

A 40 year old man excited about thread colors...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: diy Deviated Stitching. black or red on beige?