Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Weird humming/buzzing noise at start up w/ Video Clip!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:09 PM
Always Up will become famous soon enoughAlways Up will become famous soon enough
Question Weird humming/buzzing noise at start up w/ Video Clip!

The title is self explanatory. The sound continues until I drive off. Has anybody encountered this phenomenon before? It just started doing that this week, and I've had the cayenne for a couple months now.

Last edited by Always Up; 03-04-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:43 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
Next time it does that see if it goes away when you step on the brakes.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 AM
seabrook is infamous around these partsseabrook is infamous around these parts
my wife says hers is doing this too, it will be interesting to see what it is

Old 03-06-2015, 12:28 AM
philipclaridge911 is on a distinguished road
I seem to remember my 2012 CD did this for about 6 months from new, but only in brief 1 second bursts now and again, then went away.

What model is the Cayenne, and has it got air suspension? It might be something to do with that pressuring up. Just a guess.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:18 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
yep air ride compressor id guess.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Always Up will become famous soon enoughAlways Up will become famous soon enough
No air suspension on my cayenne.

The sound sounds a bit electrical though, at first I thought it was the air vent. Anybody know how long I have to fix a problem like this before it becomes an out of pocket expense?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by Always Up
No air suspension on my cayenne. The sound sounds a bit electrical though, at first I thought it was the air vent. Anybody know how long I have to fix a problem like this before it becomes an out of pocket expense?
Next time this starts, shut off stereo, then heater system, my bet is noise continues. If it does step on the brakes, let me know if it goes away.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by snzuloz
Next time this starts, shut off stereo, then heater system, my bet is noise continues. If it does step on the brakes, let me know if it goes away.
Yea I will, it hasn't happened since I posted up the video, but I will next time.

Why the brakes? do you have an idea of what's going on?

If it's a brake issue, don't we need to step on the brakes to start the car?

Old 03-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by Always Up
Yea I will, it hasn't happened since I posted up the video, but I will next time. Why the brakes? do you have an idea of what's going on? If it's a brake issue, don't we need to step on the brakes to start the car?
I experienced a similar noise in my last Touareg Diesel. I have it on video but can't post it here, I tried everything and finally discovered the noise goes away when I stepped on the brakes. I no longer own the Touareg, I owned it three months and it spent over a month of that in the shop (biggest piece of **** I have ever owned) my 2012 Touareg was flawless. Now I'm in a 2015 CD, love it so far, no strange noises yet... Lol

Old 03-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Matt911 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like when the steering hydraulic fluids are dry.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by snzuloz
I experienced a similar noise in my last Touareg Diesel. I have it on video but can't post it here, I tried everything and finally discovered the noise goes away when I stepped on the brakes. I no longer own the Touareg, I owned it three months and it spent over a month of that in the shop (biggest piece of **** I have ever owned) my 2012 Touareg was flawless. Now I'm in a 2015 CD, love it so far, no strange noises yet... Lol
Sorry my 2012 Touareg was flawless, the 2014 not so much...

Old 03-07-2015, 03:07 AM
philipclaridge911 is on a distinguished road
If this noise goes away when you touch the brake, and it sounded like it did in the vid when you slotted it into drive before pulling away, then it must be associated with the vacuum assist on the brake servo. It's either a pipe that's not sealed quite correctly, or it's air/vacuum flow that 'should' be there (bypass valve or other), but shouldn't be as noisy.

I don't think it's the air sus pump, that's a totally different noise.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:41 PM
CTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of lightCTT-QTR is a glorious beacon of light
I know this noise. It has to do with the a/c system. In my case, as soon as I close the foot vents, the noise goes away.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:15 PM
Update-

the noise seems to come on only during cold weather, and during the initial start up

Also, the noise is not connected to brake/AC systems but it does respond to the throttle, meaning when I step on the throttle when the noise starts to fade, it comes back.

Knowing this, should I get this checked out next time I go to the Newport dealership? They seem to be kinda iffy last time I came in for a warranty visit and I'm planning to go again to get my window switches replaced.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:17 AM
RollTideRoll is on a distinguished road
My 2014 has this noise; I recorded for the shop. It only occurs at start up and lasts 25 seconds and only when below 30 degrees outside temp.
I was told by the Porsche tech that the company was aware of the problem, it was a vacuum tube issue and they are looking for a fix. Was told it was a major issue to car owners up north (I live in Alabama). Its been a month since I was told this. The sound is very loud and embarrassing.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weird humming/buzzing noise at start up w/ Video Clip!