Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne Turbo with TOW package, anything to worry about?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 02:50 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Cayenne Turbo with TOW package, anything to worry about?

Looking at purchasing a specific Cayenne turbo that appears to have the tow package.

Is that anything to be alarmed or concerned about when buying one? Does towing boats, etc put more wear and tear on the car?

Im not a fan of the 'look' either in the back and would want to remove it, so the tow package is in no way a plus for me - but the rest of the vehicle checks out. I'm looking into the car further and will try to find out what was towed and for how long.

Just wanted to see if there are any repercussions to 'towing' with a cayenne turbo!

Old 08-21-2015, 11:19 AM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
I bought a CTT without towing package but really wanted one.
So I added the OEM Porsche tow kit afterward - unfortunately, much more expensive this way.

Regardless, it can really haul due to 500 lb/ft of torque. I cannot see any damage being done unless the individual hauled a monster boat or trailer up and down hills for thousands of miles (not likely). But....this beast is meant to haul and do so quickly!

As long as you can remove the bumper cover, you could remove the hitch kit easily.
I have no doubt you could sell/trade it with another member.
FWIW: theres a heavy duty piece of metal that you would want to swap out and add to yours in absence of the tow kit.

Last edited by BlazinPond; 11-08-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Mathme is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure about the Cayenne, but when I had my '14 x5 and added a tow hitch to it, the process involved removing the rear plastic bumper as well as the rear support bumper. The hitch then replaced the rear support bumper.

You may want to check and see if the same is true for the Cayenne. If you remove the factory tow hitch with no structural support bumper, you may not have enough protection in the event of a crash.

Again, I don't know if this is the same on the Cayenne, but it's worth checking out. If this is true, you may find someone who does want the tow hitch and you may be able to trade...

Just a thought...

Old 05-17-2016, 06:07 PM
vetkiller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by socialpro
Looking at purchasing a specific Cayenne turbo that appears to have the tow package.

Is that anything to be alarmed or concerned about when buying one? Does towing boats, etc put more wear and tear on the car?

Im not a fan of the 'look' either in the back and would want to remove it, so the tow package is in no way a plus for me - but the rest of the vehicle checks out. I'm looking into the car further and will try to find out what was towed and for how long.

Just wanted to see if there are any repercussions to 'towing' with a cayenne turbo!
My CTT has the hitch but not the wiring harness. I'm assuming it was an aftermarket upgrade for hauling bicycles or the like. I'm in the market for a wiring harness if you pull it off.

I would ask whoever you are buying it from if they towed with it and if so what they towed. Depending on the weight of what they towed you should be fine as long as they stayed within the limits of the 7,716lbs towing capacity you should be fine. If anything there could be more stress on the tranny if they constantly pulled heavy loads but I doubt it.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:17 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
How do you know anything ever was towed with it? Does the receiver show signs of wear or use? My CTT came with the tow package - but the "outlet" for the electrical interface had never been installed (it's supposed to come with it - and the dealer is supposed to install it before delivery.)

I bought the adaptor and installed it. Before that - there was a blank plate where the adaptor mounts. So - no one ever towed with mine before I got it - or at least never towed anything needing lights.

Chances are good the one you're looking at is the same. Look to the left of the receiver (you almost have to lay down on the ground to see it) - there is a square plate off to the left. If it's just a plate, held in by 4 philips screws - the adaptor has never been installed and it wasn't towed with. If there is a spring loaded cover - then the adaptor was installed so it might have been used.

And as mentioned above - your best bet to get rid of it is to offer it for a swap with someone who wants the tow hitch. You DO need the bumper reinforcement that the hitch assembly replaced for safety reasons in a rear-end crash.

On the 955/957 series - the factory tow package also included an upgraded cooling system, not sure if that is true on the 958.x series or not.

Oh - BTW - there are places selling a tow-hitch cover for the receiver opening. I bought a plain black rubber one - looks fine. If you're after the bling look - some places sell ones with a Porsche crest on it.

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-17-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
How do you know anything ever was towed with it? Does the receiver show signs of wear or use? My CTT came with the tow package - but the "outlet" for the electrical interface had never been installed (it's supposed to come with it - and the dealer is supposed to install it before delivery.)

I bought the adaptor and installed it. Before that - there was a blank plate where the adaptor mounts. So - no one ever towed with mine before I got it - or at least never towed anything needing lights.

Chances are good the one you're looking at is the same. Look to the left of the receiver (you almost have to lay down on the ground to see it) - there is a square plate off to the left. If it's just a plate, held in by 4 philips screws - the adaptor has never been installed and it wasn't towed with. If there is a spring loaded cover - then the adaptor was installed so it might have been used.

And as mentioned above - your best bet to get rid of it is to offer it for a swap with someone who wants the tow hitch. You DO need the bumper reinforcement that the hitch assembly replaced for safety reasons in a rear-end crash.

On the 955/957 series - the factory tow package also included an upgraded cooling system, not sure if that is true on the 958.x series or not.

Oh - BTW - there are places selling a tow-hitch cover for the receiver opening. I bought a plain black rubber one - looks fine. If you're after the bling look - some places sell ones with a Porsche crest on it.
How can you tell if you have the upgraded cooling system? Any easy way of telling besides a dealer VIN look up? Great info BTW had no idea about the upgraded cooling system.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Here is the 2" cover I have on mine

Old 05-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Mathme is on a distinguished road
As others have said, just because there's a tow receiver on the car doesn't mean it's actually towed anything. Look at the receiver itself...if there's some looks of rust of use then that means two things: it's either been used as a bike carrier or towed something. Seeing it if has the wiring harness is will also tell you. The best thing to do is ask the current owner if you have access to them.

I've towed 5500lbs of boat and trailer with my old Cayenne base and my CD. Does it work harder pulling that load...sure. Is it bad for it...not really as I'm only at about 70% of max towing capacity.