Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

DIY - 958 PCM3.1 Video Interface and Android Module Installation

Old 10-18-2016, 04:18 AM
ewenc126 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ohnoyuji
Make sure you pull the CBs (Fuse) of the headunit before you do anything with the headunit and grounding.
The car still feeds power even with car off for a good 15minutes.

When you take out the original headunit out, there are quite a few tabs and screw that you need to open. THey are quite tough, you need to be gentle but also strong finger to do this. Pry using a flat screw driver will work.
And there's two temper proof seal as well. (void factory warranty)

Just becareful when you hook the two new ribbon cable. they are quite fragile I found.

And, ground yourself before you do anything inside the headunit.

I've also succesful installing the backup camera, however, the car original came with a "Solder" on switch, I didn't had the patience to resoldering it.
I left the switch un-operable.

Too bad, I sold the car in August.
But I can provide tips when you guys gets the material.

thanks for your help

Old 10-18-2016, 08:13 AM
ohnoyuji will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ddaarr
If I'm streaming music via Bluetooth on the OEM Porsche interface, can I use the Android module for navigation with music at the same time?

Or will the music from my phone cut off?

Or can I stream music via Bluetooth from the Android module and have navigation going on at the same time?

It's so confusing.
Let me explain how this system works.

PART 1.
---------
Basically, we are cheating the original OEM headunit and feeds video to the original display monitor. The audio of the headunit is NOT modified. Audio is output via the AUX, 3.5mm jack inside your armrest compartment.

The original headunit is basically, separate into three main component.
1. The disc drive unit.
2. The monitor
3. The motherboard.

All 3 above are interconnected via ribbon cables.

We are trying to intercept the video feed from the motherboard to the monitor.

The add-on kit that you purchase from the Aliexpress seller will have the following main components
4. An PCB that intercepts and control video in and video out to the monitor.
5. An interface control box
6. Android box

Part 2
----
How the system works,
A. The interface control box controls the MODE you want to operate.
i. By press and hold the Navi Button for 2 sec, it will switch to the interface main menu.
ii Once in the menu, you can select the video input you wish to select.
iii. You can enable and disable which input you want from the "SETUP", language setup is here as well.
iv. Then you will found two "Home Button", one to go back to the interface, another one for the Android.

Part 3
----
How audio works:
A. The audio feed from the Android must be connect to the AUX stereo 3.5mm jack inside your armrest compartment. This is how audio is output to your speakers.
B. All other function of your original OEM headunit still function and remain unchanged, including Bluetooth, USB (inside your armrest compartment), CD/DVD drive, Sat Nav, Sat Radio, system HVAC and other car parameters still works.
C. You can switch in and out of the Video interface, while keeping the original audio (BT or Sat Radi or AHA) or Nav. Then you can switch back to AUX for Android audio.

Part 4
----
How to operate:
A. Once everything is connected properly, to switch between Interface/ Android, press and hold the "NAVI" button on your radio.
B. For sound on the Android, switch audio on your radio to "AUX".
C. To go out of the Interface/ Anrdoid, press NAVI or CAR button.
D. There is two USB port on the Android unit, you can buy USB extension cord and route it somewhere more convienent. Only FAT32 or exFAT format will be recognized. No NTFS.
E. To use Internet on the Android, First Enable Hotspot function on your phone, then go to the Setup menu of the Android, connect your phone Hotspot. (This is the only way to connect to Google Play Store and other online stuff.
F. I found our Resistive touch monitor is difficult to use, so I added an USB airmouse, it has an keyboard on one side and mouse function on the other. Extremely Practical to move the apps around the Android Screen Aliexpress-Airmouse-Keyboard

Part 5.
-------
Here are two very useful document to use for installation and understand how this whole setup works.
Android Manual
Interface Schematic (In Chinese Only)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Setup.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	461351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Setup 1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	479.1 KB
ID:	461352  

Last edited by ohnoyuji; 10-18-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:20 AM
ddaarr is an unknown quantity at this point
That was the most helpful, clear and direct post ever. That paints the "big picture" for me.

Thanks for going above and beyond.

I'll keep this thread updated with progress.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:07 PM

PART 1.
---------
Basically, we are cheating the original OEM headunit and feeds video to the original display monitor. The audio of the headunit is NOT modified. Audio is output via the AUX, 3.5mm jack inside your armrest compartment.

1. The disc drive unit.
2. The monitor
3. The motherboard.

The add-on kit that you purchase from the Aliexpress seller will have the following main components
6. Android box

Part 2
----
How the system works,
i. By press and hold the Navi Button for 2 sec, it will switch to the interface main menu.
iii. You can enable and disable which input you want from the "SETUP", language setup is here as well.
iv. Then you will found two "Home Button", one to go back to the interface, another one for the Android.

Part 3
----
How audio works:
A. The audio feed from the Android must be connect to the AUX stereo 3.5mm jack inside your armrest compartment. This is how audio is output to your speakers.
B. All other function of your original OEM headunit still function and remain unchanged, including Bluetooth, USB (inside your armrest compartment), CD/DVD drive, Sat Nav, Sat Radio, system HVAC and other car parameters still works.
C. You can switch in and out of the Video interface, while keeping the original audio (BT or Sat Radi or AHA) or Nav. Then you can switch back to AUX for Android audio.

Part 4
----
How to operate:
A. Once everything is connected properly, to switch between Interface/ Android, press and hold the "NAVI" button on your radio.
D. There is two USB port on the Android unit, you can buy USB extension cord and route it somewhere more convienent. Only FAT32 or exFAT format will be recognized. No NTFS.
E. To use Internet on the Android, First Enable Hotspot function on your phone, then go to the Setup menu of the Android, connect your phone Hotspot. (This is the only way to connect to Google Play Store and other online stuff.
F. I found our Resistive touch monitor is difficult to use, so I added an USB airmouse, it has an keyboard on one side and mouse function on the other. Extremely Practical to move the apps around the Android Screen Aliexpress-Airmouse-Keyboard

Part 5.
-------
Here are two very useful document to use for installation and understand how this whole setup works.
Android Manual
After I installed, I lost my backup camera, is it normal? And also every time when I start up my PMC will show the screen below. Do you know how to fix it?

Lost my backup camera?

When I start up my PMC every time go there?

Old 10-19-2016, 02:27 PM

PART 1.
---------

1. The disc drive unit.
2. The monitor
3. The motherboard.

6. Android box

Part 2
----
How the system works,

Part 3
----
How audio works:

Part 4
----
How to operate:

Part 5.
-------
Android Manual

When my PCM start up every time

How to solve the problem for back up camera? How can I connect original back up camera?

Old 10-22-2016, 03:12 PM

PART 1.
---------

1. The disc drive unit.
2. The monitor
3. The motherboard.

6. Android box

Part 2
----
How the system works,

Part 3
----
How audio works:

Part 4
----
How to operate:

Part 5.
-------
Android Manual

I want to know how can you get internet for the android? I am use iPhone, not allow to share the Internet.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by ewenc126
After I installed, I lost my backup camera, is it normal? And also every time when I start up my PMC will show the screen below. Do you know how to fix it?

Lost my backup camera?

This is the screen calibration screen, it shouldn't come up everytime you boot.

When I start up my PMC every time go there?
1 - No, you should go to the "Interface, setting to disable to onboard backup function" Your OEM camera should work.
2 - The black screen is for screen calibration, it shouldn't come up every time you boot.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by ewenc126
I want to know how can you get internet for the android? I am use iPhone, not allow to share the Internet.
?, Iphone should be able to "Personal Hotspot".

I had iphone4 thru iphone, thethering.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:09 AM
For the language, camera setup it's all going thru the interface page.

Remember this page I show you?
It's all in here to do the setup.
Change the language to English, then it should self explained.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Setup.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	462325  
Old 10-31-2016, 10:05 AM
Mine is arriving today. Now just need to set aside a few hours to install it.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:06 PM
For the language, camera setup it's all going thru the interface page.

Remember this page I show you?
It's all in here to do the setup.
Change the language to English, then it should self explained.

Thanks for reply, I fixed all.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:56 AM
Mine is arriving today. Now just need to set aside a few hours to install it.
How did it go?

Old 11-03-2016, 08:18 AM
I am planning on installling in stages...if possible.

Can I install the PCM card only then later install the modules?

Will the radio still work, looks like that on the videos?

Old 11-03-2016, 06:30 PM
I am planning on installling in stages...if possible.

Can I install the PCM card only then later install the modules?

Will the radio still work, looks like that on the videos?
Yes, that's fine. Before you close the head unit, install the card and route the wire bundle out, then you could install the rest later.

It won't affect the pcm and radio.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:58 PM
USB connection from Android module

There are 2 USB connections off the Android module. What are they used for?

Does the external speaker need to be plugged into the Android module? I don't think it's needed.

Do I need to use RCA connectors from the Android module to the a/v input on the switch module?

Do any changed need to be done to the dip switches?

Mine did not have any instructions.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY - 958 PCM3.1 Video Interface and Android Module Installation