Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne S 958 - ATF Fluid change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:17 PM
Nixer is on a distinguished road
Cayenne S 958 - ATF Fluid change

Guys,
I am changing the ATF fluid on my car.. we lost quite a bit of fluid when changing the trans oil cooler.
I looked at some DIYs for 955 and there seems to be 2 different plugs on the pan. One is to drain oil and the other one is to fill.. however in 958 all I see is a single plug.. when I unscrewed the plug, all the oil drained out completely.

Do I fill oil through the same plug which I used to drain? Is there a tube inside the inspection plug? When I took the inspection plug, I don't see a tube.....

I'd greatly appreciate any help on this. TIA!

Old 04-30-2016, 07:36 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Do you have the service manual? I had an x5 before that required a pretty involved procedure to refill the tranny.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by turboslut
Do you have the service manual? I had an x5 before that required a pretty involved procedure to refill the tranny.
Yes, I do. It doesn't help me much. There is only one allen screw and when I unscrew it, it drains the atf completely. I am not sure where is inspection plug and where is overflow pipe... It's just a single plug.

Changing ATF
Changing ATF
_ ATF must be changed when the engine/transmission is cold.
Designation Type Number Description
Adapter for filling oil VAS
6262A
Workshop
equipment
WE 1389
Adapter for filling ATF oil
VAS 6262/2
Workshop
equipment
WE 1390
Location Description Type Basic value Tolerance 1 Tolerance 2
ATF lines to transmission Tightening torque 20 Nm (15 ftlb.)
Overflow pipe In ATF pan Tightening torque 1 Nm (0.5 ftlb.)
1. Remove engine guard. _ 108019 Removing and installing engine guard - section on "Removing"
Information
Changing ATF Page 1 of 5
https://techinfo2.porsche.com/PAGInf...vigation&Print... 2/7/2013
Hot fluid
_ Danger of scalding
Hot fluid
_ Danger of scalding
1. Place oil collection pan underneath.
WARNING
_ Let the fluid cool down.
_ Wear personal protective gear.
2. Unscrew oil inspection plug -1- .
ATF inspection plug
WARNING
_ Let the fluid cool down.
_ Wear personal protective gear.
3. Unscrew the overflow pipe -2- using an Allen key and drain ATF.
ATF inspection plug
4. Loosen the fastening screw -1- for the ATF lines -2- at the bottom
of the transmission -3- .
Changing ATF Page 2 of 5
_ The sealing rings at the ends of the ATF lines on the transmission and cooler sides must be replaced before
installation.
Detaching ATF lines at the bottom
5. Pull ATF lines out of the transmission and drain ATF.
Information
6. Position ATF lines -2- with holder in the transmission -3- .
Ensure that the lines are seated correctly.
Attaching ATF lines at the bottom
7. Tighten fastening screw -1- to _ Tightening torque: 20 Nm (15 ftlb.).
8. To drain the front ATF lines, remove the ATF thermostat. _ 387519 Removing and installing ATF
thermostat
9. As soon as the ATF has drained from the ATF lines, install the ATF thermostat. _ 387519 Removing and
installing ATF thermostat
10. Screw the overflow pipe -2- into the ATF pan. _ Tightening torque: 1 Nm (0.5 ftlb.)
Changing ATF Page 3 of 5
_ Only part of the total change quantity can be filled because of the test specifications stipulated for the ATF.
_ The rest must then be filled as described in the Checking ATF section.
Subsequent work for ATF
Subsequent work for ATF
ATF inspection plug
11. Screw adapter for filling ATF oil Adapter for filling ATF oil VAS 6262/2 WE 1390 into the ATF pan handtight.
Information
12. Connect adapter for filling oil Adapter for filling oil VAS 6262A WE 1389 to the rapid-action coupling
and fill in ATF.
13. Pull off adapter for filling oil Adapter for filling oil VAS 6262A WE 1389 at the rapid-action coupling and
check to see if ATF emerges.
If no ATF emerges, fill in ATF until a constant discharge is visible at the lifting tube.
14. Screw in oil inspection plug -1- .
ATF inspection plug
15. Check and top up ATF. _ 370235 Checking and topping up ATF

Last edited by Nixer; 04-30-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:28 PM

Old 04-30-2016, 08:51 PM
There is no oil inspection tube..

Old 04-30-2016, 10:15 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
As I mentioned in the thread you started on RennList - I believe the level pipe stays in the oil pan. To fully drain the transmission you unscrew the pipe using an allen wrench after removing the plug that you show.

At least that's how I'm reading the manual. Go over to Rennlist - I've made some comments on the manual instructions (which I agree - are designed to confuse people.. my guess is the techs are taught how to at Porsche tech school..)

I just looked at my AllData Cayenne manual - and happily - they clear up the confusion. The oil level fill pipe IS inside the transmission pan. It is removed to fully drain the transmission, then reinstalled to fill the transmission.

You want to reinstall it after draining (warm fluid) - then fill until it starts backing out the filler/drain. Then you do the gear-shift crappola to make sure the valve body and clutch circuits are all filled. It's checked with the engine idling and the AC turned off (AC will bump up the idle speed..)

You then need to get the transmission fluid to the correct temperature (35-45C) and fill until the fluid is overflowing the pipe.. allow it to drain until there is just a constant drip.

That's what's on AllData. You might consider getting an account - in many cases it's much easier to understand then the factory manual.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
As I mentioned in the thread you started on RennList - I believe the level pipe stays in the oil pan. To fully drain the transmission you unscrew the pipe using an allen wrench after removing the plug that you show.

At least that's how I'm reading the manual. Go over to Rennlist - I've made some comments on the manual instructions (which I agree - are designed to confuse people.. my guess is the techs are taught how to at Porsche tech school..)

I just looked at my AllData Cayenne manual - and happily - they clear up the confusion. The oil level fill pipe IS inside the transmission pan. It is removed to fully drain the transmission, then reinstalled to fill the transmission.

You want to reinstall it after draining (warm fluid) - then fill until it starts backing out the filler/drain. Then you do the gear-shift crappola to make sure the valve body and clutch circuits are all filled. It's checked with the engine idling and the AC turned off (AC will bump up the idle speed..)

You then need to get the transmission fluid to the correct temperature (35-45C) and fill until the fluid is overflowing the pipe.. allow it to drain until there is just a constant drip.

That's what's on AllData. You might consider getting an account - in many cases it's much easier to understand then the factory manual.
Are you saying that I have to fill the fluid via the same inspection plug hole?

And this one says it's somewhere on the driver's side.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...e/#entry272616

Last edited by Nixer; 05-01-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nixer
Are you saying that I have to fill the fluid via the same inspection plug hole?

And this one says it's somewhere on the driver's side.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...e/#entry272616
There is no mention of a separate fill plug in the manual. There is a description of some special tools used to fill the transmission.

Again - I'd suggest you get an AllData subscription and read what they say. I haven't done the job. A friend did, and I've asked him to review this thread and the other thread you started elsewhere. You own an expensive vehicle. I think $20/year for an AllData subscription isn't an excessive cost.

Reading the post you referenced above - it appears you can fill via a plug in the side of the transmission, and monitor the level via the overflow tube in the drain. If the fill plug exists and you can find it.

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-01-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:04 AM
There is no mention of a separate fill plug in the manual. There is a description of some special tools used to fill the transmission.

Again - I'd suggest you get an AllData subscription and read what they say. I haven't done the job. A friend did, and I've asked him to review this thread and the other thread you started elsewhere. You own an expensive vehicle. I think $20/year for an AllData subscription isn't an excessive cost.

Reading the post you referenced above - it appears you can fill via a plug in the side of the transmission, and monitor the level via the overflow tube in the drain. If the fill plug exists and you can find it.
I will get the AllData subscription. When I unscrew the inspection plug, it completely drained the transmission fluid.. I guess if the car is running then it wouldn't drain the fluid completely and I can use the overflow tube in the drain to monitor the level.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:12 AM
I got AllData DIY subscription... all they have there is what is in the workshop manual... word by word...

Old 05-01-2016, 11:12 AM
BTW - I added a buncha info on the RennTech thread..

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-01-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:13 AM
I will get the AllData subscription. When I unscrew the inspection plug, it completely drained the transmission fluid.. I guess if the car is running then it wouldn't drain the fluid completely and I can use the overflow tube in the drain to monitor the level.
It shouldn't have drained the fluid completely IF the overflow tube was in place. And not broken (one video I found referencing the parts made note of the fragile nature of the tube...)

Last edited by deilenberger; 05-01-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:14 AM
BTW - lets keep the discussion on one forum. It's a PITA to keep referencing back and forth. I'll continue on RennTech (which is generally a bit more technically oriented.)

Old 05-01-2016, 11:16 AM
I got AllData DIY subscription... all they have there is what is in the workshop manual... word by word...
What is avoids is the repeating nature of the workshop manual, which feels compelled to repeat instructions for identical procedures for each and every model/engine-variant Porsche made. There is a reason the workshop manual is 11,000 pages long. I find it much easier to find what I want on AllData.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:23 PM
BTW - I added a buncha info on the RennTech thread..
Thanks for the info. I have updated renntech thread... and will keep that one going.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S 958 - ATF Fluid change