Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Auto Stop/Start - uncomfortable acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 PM
dynamic101 will become famous soon enoughdynamic101 will become famous soon enough
Question Auto Stop/Start - uncomfortable acceleration

Most people hates this auto stop/start function but sometimes it's really useful depending on the traffic conditions.

I have noticed that it's very uncomfortable whenever I lifted my foot off brake to start and go. The vehicle attempts to accelerate and move forward (only a short distance though) as soon as the engine auto started.

Cayenne moves a little bit forward but very fast so I feel like that I lose a control over the vehicle as like an unintended acceleration, e.g., a recall of Lexus/Toyota.

Not comfortable at all since the vehicle moved although I didn't step on the gas pedal.

Anyone had this type of an acceleration issue when the auto start function engages?

It's for 2012 Cayenne V6.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:22 AM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
I suppose it depends on the grade; uphill, flat, downhill would likely make a difference. I very much dislike the auto stop/start feature, perhaps only because that's not how I'm used to driving an automatic. I've not encountered any sudden movement based on the restart but then I don't tend to allow the vehicle to sit 'in gear' when I'm stopped. I hold the brake until it's time to go.

At least with 2015 (and 2016?) and previous model years you can disable the stop/start. 2017 loses the option to disable it.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:56 AM
jab23 has a spectacular aura aboutjab23 has a spectacular aura about
I hate it and never use it in my 2014 GTS. The times I have tried it though, definitely no surge forward or anything like that.

If you truly can't shut it off in newer model years, it would be a deal breaker for me considering another Cayenne.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:52 AM
You can shut it off, just press the stop start button. What you can't do, due to regulations, is have the vehicle remember your setting permanently.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:47 AM
jtorrebl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wkearney99
You can shut it off, just press the stop start button. What you can't do, due to regulations, is have the vehicle remember your setting permanently.
On my wife's macan she saved the off mode with her key memory. I use it on and don't mind it so not sure if it saves to the memory when saving you seat settings to the key

Old 01-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by jtorrebl
On my wife's macan...
What model year? Pre-2017 there were options. As of '17 there's no option to control it in the MFT, nor does it appear to be able to remember it with the key.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:39 PM
958 S is an unknown quantity at this point
In my 2012 I hit the center console button once when I bought it to turn it off and it never came back on, no matter which key is used.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:42 PM
dynamic101 will become famous soon enoughdynamic101 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for all nice comments.
I turned off the function. I carefully checked the battery status during the vehicle is in the auto stop mode.

I noticed that the battery voltage continued to go down really fast especially at night & at the low outside temperature. This is another reason to turn off the auto/stop function.

Although it must be well designed for any circumstances, I think that there should be no benefits (by frequent stop/start) to batteries, ignition coils, spark plugs, etc.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:52 PM
jtorrebl is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wkearney99
what model year? Pre-2017 there were options. As of '17 there's no option to control it in the mft, nor does it appear to be able to remember it with the key.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:33 AM
[SS]Shooter will become famous soon enough[SS]Shooter will become famous soon enough
Yeah, Start/Stop sucks ***** all the way around.

The OP can turn it off permanently in his 2012, but 2016+ Cayenne owners are stuck with having to turn it off every damn time we get in the car. The start/stop BS, inability to stay in SPORT mode, and having to hit navigation CONFIRM every time I get in -- these really make me hate Porsche (and many new cars) with all my heart. At least the seat-belt buzzer goes off after a minute or two; many cars don't do that...

Maybe my next car will be a nanny-free 1978 911.

Last edited by [SS]Shooter; 01-09-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by dynamic101
I carefully checked the battery status during the vehicle is in the auto stop mode.
Using what? A voltmeter? Or the MFD?

I noticed that the battery voltage continued to go down really fast especially at night & at the low outside temperature. This is another reason to turn off the auto/stop function.
You mean while the ignition was off? Or while driving/idling at night?

While driving/idling at night, in the cold, there's going to be a LOT of things pulling on the electrical system. Heater blowers, vent actuator motors, wire defrosters in windows, all the running lights, the headlights, etc. The engine stop/starting doesn't seem likely to add 'enough' load to be a problem. Assuming the battery is in good condition. 3-5 years is the typical replacement cycle.

Although it must be well designed for any circumstances, I think that there should be no benefits (by frequent stop/start) to batteries, ignition coils, spark plugs, etc.
The plugs, battery, coils and the rest of the electrical system aren't really going to get overworked by this. The starter, perhaps. The oiling system, possibly. But for the most part it's not terribly likely to be harmful to much other than the starter.

I don't like the auto stop/start feature. That alone is reason enough. I don't need vague worries about wear to justify it.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:18 AM
TJtheDJ will become famous soon enough
I personally think the wear and tear on the car systems and cost of repair don't equal the savings. I have mine always turned off in my 2011.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
+1. My independent mechanic is of the same mind on it. Increased wear with minimal mileage gain means it's turned off on my '11 CTT.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:15 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
So glad that my 2014 remembers the last setting so I don't have to turn it off every time. Dumbest technology yet - a solution looking for a problem.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:29 AM
Snipe656 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by [SS]Shooter
Yeah, Start/Stop sucks ***** all the way around.

The OP can turn it off permanently in his 2012, but 2016+ Cayenne owners are stuck with having to turn it off every damn time we get in the car. The start/stop BS, inability to stay in SPORT mode, and having to hit navigation CONFIRM every time I get in -- these really make me hate Porsche (and many new cars) with all my heart. At least the seat-belt buzzer goes off after a minute or two; many cars don't do that...

Maybe my next car will be a nanny-free 1978 911.
Start/stop can't be turned off and setting retained in my 2015 Cayenne S. Maybe it boils down to sub-model of vehicle as to when the cut off happened of being forced to turn it off every time. I'd have to look but as I recall mine has a pretty year in the model year build date.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.