Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Best place to get the black window trim for chrome deletion, besides the dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Glutamine will become famous soon enoughGlutamine will become famous soon enough
Best place to get the black window trim for chrome deletion, besides the dealer?

Was curious if anybody has any other sources on where to get this from. Posted a WTB thread in the for sale section, but wanted to see if there were any other options available.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:27 PM
spyderman33 is on a distinguished road
Plastidip it...

Old 01-09-2017, 02:29 PM
Glutamine will become famous soon enoughGlutamine will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by spyderman33
Plastidip it...
Would prefer to either purchase the trim new or wrap it. First time purchasing a vehicle of this price caliber, and don't feel comfortable Plastidipping the trim.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Glutamine
Would prefer to either purchase the trim new or wrap it. First time purchasing a vehicle of this price caliber, and don't feel comfortable Plastidipping the trim.
there is nothing to feel uncomfortable about.. i did the porsche cayenne letters and the wheels on my car and it looks great.. its completely safe..

i would actually feel more uncomfortable pulling and tugging to remove the window trim.. That can cause major damage vs this..

Old 01-10-2017, 06:46 AM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
I'm considering trying some Autodip, as it has a glossy look with the main application (doesn't require additional gloss-ifying spray).

That and I might consider applying it to the front grille sections. I do regret not going for the gloss black options for that.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:25 PM
[SS]Shooter will become famous soon enough[SS]Shooter will become famous soon enough
Getting the trim off and replacing it with new black trim is going to be a real trick...probably harder than painting the existing trim.

If you don't want to Plastidip it, have an auto paint shop (probably a good one known for custom work, etc. not Maaco) mask the car, give the trim a quick scuff, then spray the trim gloss black, flat black, whatever you want.

Originally Posted by spyderman33
Plastidip it...
Plastidip IS a good option because you can always remove it or re-do it if you so desire or if it gets scratched or something.

Just make sure you cover the ENTIRE car with masking paper, towels, - i.e. whatever you are using - to prevent overspray. Otherwise, you will get Plastidip overspray on the car... That isn't a real issue, as it comes right off with clay or a DA orbital, just something that you can avoid by draping the car.

Last edited by [SS]Shooter; 01-10-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by [SS]Shooter
Getting the trim off and replacing it with new black trim is going to be a real trick...probably harder than painting the existing trim.

If you don't want to Plastidip it, have an auto paint shop (probably a good one known for custom work, etc. not Maaco) mask the car, give the trim a quick scuff, then spray the trim gloss black, flat black, whatever you want.

Plastidip IS a good option because you can always remove it or re-do it if you so desire or if it gets scratched or something.

Just make sure you cover the ENTIRE car with masking paper, towels, - i.e. whatever you are using - to prevent overspray. Otherwise, you will get Plastidip overspray on the car... That isn't a real issue, as it comes right off with clay or a DA orbital, just something that you can avoid by draping the car.
Yeah, we just got a quote from a local custom shop that quoted us $890 for the trim and then 4-5 hour labor work @$100/hr. With a discount it ends up being $1,200.

In terms of PlastiDip, my main concern is the durability of the paint. I'm also concerned that it'll "cheapen" the overall look of the vehicle. I was told that taking the vehicle through a carwash leads to PD chipping off, and thus would have to be redone again.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Yeah, we just got a quote from a local custom shop that quoted us $890 for the trim and then 4-5 hour labor work @$100/hr. With a discount it ends up being $1,200.

In terms of PlastiDip, my main concern is the durability of the paint. I'm also concerned that it'll "cheapen" the overall look of the vehicle. I was told that taking the vehicle through a carwash leads to PD chipping off, and thus would have to be redone again.
It doesnt cheapen the look at all.. listen, if you are not convinced and it seems that no one will convince you so go ahead and take your car to a dealer or a body shop and pay $1200 to get it done..

If it was me, I would at least try with a $6 can of plastidip and do a small area.. try it out and if it doesnt convince you, you lost nothing except 6 bucks and an hour or two... Not much else to discuss on this..

btw, here is my cheapen'd car. i did wheels and side mirrors on it... I also did emblems out back..

Also, it doesnt come off that easily that a car wash would take it off.. Do a search on youtube and you will see people using pressure washers on their plastidip'd cars with no problem...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160725_114410.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	488.1 KB
ID:	467483  
Old 01-10-2017, 09:23 PM

So you're going to take a $100k vehicle through some random carwash and not expect THAT to cause damage to the actual paint. But you're worried it might somehow damage the PD.

I'm thinking you may not realize how bad most carwashes are... dip or not.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:36 AM
Originally Posted by wkearney99
So you're going to take a $100k vehicle through some random carwash and not expect THAT to cause damage to the actual paint. But you're worried it might somehow damage the PD.

I'm thinking you may not realize how bad most carwashes are... dip or not.

Completely agree with you on that one.. Thats why i avoid machine carwashes like the plague..

Old 01-11-2017, 02:31 PM
chiapet15 is on a distinguished road
I also avoid having my car washed at the dealer. The free car wash they offer comes with free paint swirls that take 6-8hrs to polish out completely. It comes from them using the same brush/washcloth and bucket of soap they use on hundreds of cars; all the little particulates that are collected mar the paint and make it dull. Automatic car washes are even worse in that anything which contacts the car is done with more force, making swirls and scratches that are even deeper.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:08 PM
For the decade I kept my Jeep it probably only got fully washed once a year. Sure, I hosed/powerwashed it off now and then, but rarely actually did a full wash. Paint still looked nearly new. Which is probably more a testament to modern paint formulations and application than anything else.

I'd much rather leave it 'neglected' than have it get the paint scuffed up by some cheap local car wash. But I get that some folks aren't going to obsess over a concours quality finish.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:33 PM
tarik916 is on a distinguished road
+1 for dip, but wrap is a good choice as well. I dipped my wheels, mirrors, and trim on my 955 turbo. I removed the dip from the trim to be wrapped when I got the entire car wrapped, but left the mirrors dipped. The wheels and mirror were dipped for a few years, and I only had to touch up my wheels once after getting new tires. Everything looked brand new when I finally removed the dip to sell the car.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:06 PM
[SS]Shooter will become famous soon enough[SS]Shooter will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by chiapet15
I also avoid having my car washed at the dealer. The free car wash they offer comes with free paint swirls that take 6-8hrs to polish out completely. It comes from them using the same brush/washcloth and bucket of soap they use on hundreds of cars; all the little particulates that are collected mar the paint and make it dull. Automatic car washes are even worse in that anything which contacts the car is done with more force, making swirls and scratches that are even deeper.
Originally Posted by wkearney99
I'd much rather leave it 'neglected' than have it get the paint scuffed up by some cheap local car wash. But I get that some folks aren't going to obsess over a concours quality finish.
Agreed.

- No dealer washes
- No 'swirl-o-matic' drive-through car washes

If there's an interest, I can put up a thread about proper washing and detailing procedures...

Old 03-03-2017, 11:59 PM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
You can get the entire trim set for under $500. Look at Gaudin Porsche in LV.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.