Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Best Phone Mount / Holder Options 958 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:39 PM
personalt is on a distinguished road
Best Phone Mount / Holder Options 958 Cayenne

Not sure if anyone would be interested this but I spent a ton of time trying to find a good cell phone mounting option for our Cayennes.

I ended up using a Rennline bracket that attaches to the radio but then added an iOttie holder that has wireless charging. The pair together work really well.

The video preview thumbnail has a picture of a phone in the mount. There is a full video showing install and how I combined the two products. Basically I used the Rennline mount which is made to attach to the side of the radio after removing the vent but took off the Rennline part that attaches to the phone and replaced it with an iOittie wireless charging mount. This mix-and-match is possible because they both use a 17mm ball.

Last edited by personalt; 02-12-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:52 AM
spyderman33 is on a distinguished road
looks like it blocks the screen..

I prefer my cheap magnet mount vent holder

Amazon Amazon

took me 3 seconds to install and holds amazing..

Old 02-13-2017, 11:13 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spyderman33
looks like it blocks the screen..

I prefer my cheap magnet mount vent holder

https://www.amazon.com/WizGear-Unive...net+mount+cell

took me 3 seconds to install and holds amazing..
There is a downside to everything..

Problems with that design:

1. Can break the vent - price a replacement. That alone scares me off.
2. Blocks the vent - and has heat or cold blowing on the back of the phone
3. Requires a metal plate be attached to the rear of the phone - which would also block the inductive (no wires) charging that I love on my Droid Turbo-II.

So - while that might work for you - it wouldn't for me. I went with the ProClip, specifically made for the 958 series console.

http://www.proclipusa.com/

The mount for the Cayenne is: http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-..._leftorright=0

That doesn't include the phone holder - that's extra. Happily they make one for the Droid Turbo-II..

Mounts so it really doesn't block anything from the drivers side. Passenger side HVAC buttons are partly visually blocked from the passenger. I can live with that.

That's the Droid Turbo holder. It works OK - but requires removing the jelly-like case I keep the Droid in. That's quite easy, but then the case ends up in the cup holder. Guess I could put it in the sunglass compartment under the seat.

It would have been nice if the Droid Turbo holder supported inductive charging.. upside to direct charging - the Droid will recharge in about 15-20 minutes when direct charged with an adequate power source (needs about 2A to do it that fast.) If they'd had a universal snap-arm mount with inductive charging, I would have gone that way..

This is how it fastens. It takes seconds to put it on or take it off, and it does no damage to the leather covering of the console. That was important to me. It has a strip of double-faced tape mounted in it if you want a semi-permanent mount - but I didn't find that necessary. It holds the phone just fine without it, and I can actually slide it several inches forward or backwards.

Another shot of the mounting. Nice spot for it since it can be rotated to be a horizontal screen, or for the passenger to use (WAZE!) Since I don't look at the phone when the car is in motion - the lower position isn't a real problem for me. It might be to you. YMMV.

I'm watching for a universal snap-arm mount that could be adapted to the base mount from ProClipUSA.. something like:

--> http://a.co/3huRntE <-- Amazon linkie

Haven't found one with a flat-base I could screw onto the Cayenne mount, Yet.

As I mentioned above - different people have different wants and will accept different compromises to satisfy those wants. So far this is the best I've found.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:16 AM
spyderman33 is on a distinguished road
I agree with everyone needing different things but just to clarify:

1. Can break the vent - price a replacement. That alone scares me off. (pretty unlikely that it will break.. The vents are strong and this doesnt weigh that much. You would have to force it pretty hard to break it)
2. Blocks the vent - and has heat or cold blowing on the back of the phone .(you can close the vent towards the phone.. in my case, it doesnt matter because I am in FL and cold air is not bad for the phone)
3. Requires a metal plate be attached to the rear of the phone - which would also block the inductive (no wires) charging that I love on my Droid Turbo-II. (I had a Nexus 5 and the metal plate didnt block the inductive charging, since then, I have changed phones and the new ones dont really come with inductive charging anymore, not sure why. I placed the metal disc between the phone and the case without an issue)

What i dont like about Proclip is that you need to buy a need holder everytime you change phones.. Gets expensive but it does look nice, i will tell you that.

Originally Posted by deilenberger
There is a downside to everything..

Problems with that design:

1. Can break the vent - price a replacement. That alone scares me off.
2. Blocks the vent - and has heat or cold blowing on the back of the phone
3. Requires a metal plate be attached to the rear of the phone - which would also block the inductive (no wires) charging that I love on my Droid Turbo-II.

So - while that might work for you - it wouldn't for me. I went with the ProClip, specifically made for the 958 series console.

http://www.proclipusa.com/

The mount for the Cayenne is: http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-..._leftorright=0

That doesn't include the phone holder - that's extra. Happily they make one for the Droid Turbo-II..

Mounts so it really doesn't block anything from the drivers side. Passenger side HVAC buttons are partly visually blocked from the passenger. I can live with that.

That's the Droid Turbo holder. It works OK - but requires removing the jelly-like case I keep the Droid in. That's quite easy, but then the case ends up in the cup holder. Guess I could put it in the sunglass compartment under the seat.

It would have been nice if the Droid Turbo holder supported inductive charging.. upside to direct charging - the Droid will recharge in about 15-20 minutes when direct charged with an adequate power source (needs about 2A to do it that fast.) If they'd had a universal snap-arm mount with inductive charging, I would have gone that way..

This is how it fastens. It takes seconds to put it on or take it off, and it does no damage to the leather covering of the console. That was important to me. It has a strip of double-faced tape mounted in it if you want a semi-permanent mount - but I didn't find that necessary. It holds the phone just fine without it, and I can actually slide it several inches forward or backwards.

Another shot of the mounting. Nice spot for it since it can be rotated to be a horizontal screen, or for the passenger to use (WAZE!) Since I don't look at the phone when the car is in motion - the lower position isn't a real problem for me. It might be to you. YMMV.

I'm watching for a universal snap-arm mount that could be adapted to the base mount from ProClipUSA.. something like:

--> http://a.co/3huRntE <-- Amazon linkie

Haven't found one with a flat-base I could screw onto the Cayenne mount, Yet.

As I mentioned above - different people have different wants and will accept different compromises to satisfy those wants. So far this is the best I've found.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:10 PM
stiles_s is on a distinguished road
I've got the same ProClip mount and love it. A few notes:
1) Be sure to check for clearance with the glove box. If you mount it too far "up", the glovebox won't open.
2) you know about the cigarette lighter under the glove box, right? Convenient for plugging in the charger for the proclip-mounted phone.

I wish it was mounted higher. My ex 4runner has a great proclip with a mount up high on the dash. I loved it. But, this mount isn't bad in terms of location.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:18 AM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by personalt
Not sure if anyone would be interested this but I spent a ton of time trying to find a good cell phone mounting option for our Cayennes.

I ended up using a Rennline bracket that attaches to the radio but then added an iOttie holder that has wireless charging. The pair together work really well.
Be aware that the newest PCM does not have the same bezel arrangement. I have that bracket from Rennline and can state that it absolutely does not work for 2017-onward. It really can't work either, as the new PCM design has no edge for anything to fit around. The screen goes under the side of the vent, there's no gap.

I had a series of messages discussing this with them (including some videos) and there's no work-around. I'll be returning it to them when we do vacation roadtrip through that part of Vermont later this Summer.

It also won't work in any other models using that PCM (911, Macan, etc). Some of those started using the new PCM screen style in 2016.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:57 AM
Andrew Buckland is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone run the charging cable into the centre console for something like the Brodie? If so what trim need removing and how? Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.