Cayenne 958 Porsche's 958 SUV. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Rough idle, CEL, related?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:06 AM
mkiv808 is on a distinguished road
Rough idle, CEL, related?

My 2011 Cayenne S was brought in for the camshaft bolt issue, which Porsche covered.

I've noticed the vehicle can have a very slight rough idle at times, especially when cold. Figured that was normal.

Recently a CEL came on. Evap system very small leak. Replaced fuel cap and reset CEL, but it came back.

Then, this morning on a very cold start, I was idling at a stop light and it started idling very rough, the CEL was blinking, and PSM failure and start stop deactivated warnings came on. I immediately stopped and turned it off. When I turned it back on, it was fine.

Any insights on what might be going on here? Trying to decide between taking it to the dealer that did the camshaft work if this could at all be related, or if emissions warranty could pay for whatever is causing the very small leak. Other option is one of my Porsche indies.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:11 PM
Ran codes, nothing new. Still P0456

Old 03-15-2017, 11:21 PM
Sybco is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mkiv808
My 2011 Cayenne S was brought in for the camshaft bolt issue, which Porsche covered.

I've noticed the vehicle can have a very slight rough idle at times, especially when cold. Figured that was normal.

Recently a CEL came on. Evap system very small leak. Replaced fuel cap and reset CEL, but it came back.

Then, this morning on a very cold start, I was idling at a stop light and it started idling very rough, the CEL was blinking, and PSM failure and start stop deactivated warnings came on. I immediately stopped and turned it off. When I turned it back on, it was fine.

Any insights on what might be going on here? Trying to decide between taking it to the dealer that did the camshaft work if this could at all be related, or if emissions warranty could pay for whatever is causing the very small leak. Other option is one of my Porsche indies.
hi about plugs?
My 12 CTT had only 40 k on them, and at times idled a bit rough (now Turbo do have tighter plug intervals). When I did New plugs, I couldn't believe how much better it ran, absolutely silky smooth on idle, and more responsive...126k Mi too!
All those lights could be triggered by just a random plug misfire, I suspect...It's all tied together ya no. As Chevy Chase would say,,,'it's all ball bearings now days'
Hoping plugs would be all my friend. Otherwise, fear the reaper

Old 05-05-2017, 07:49 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mkiv808
Ran codes, nothing new. Still P0456
Did you get this fixed? I have the exact same behaviorist. What was it?

Old 05-10-2017, 02:11 PM
wkearney99 has a spectacular aura aboutwkearney99 has a spectacular aura about
It's not related but when I had a 'small evap leak' on my '06 Jeep it was a hose fitting on the circuit running from the tank to the filler neck. Did the fuel cap bug hunt, but only managed to nail down the problem by dropping the tank and replacing that hose.

My point is not that it's the same hose but that 'small leak' could be damned near anything related to how the system manages fuel tank pressure.

One thought comes to mind, how empty have you been letting the tank get? And how do you park it, flat or on a grade?

Old 05-12-2017, 08:26 PM
I had a failed evap leak detection pump.

no issues since, but might replace spark plugs to be safe. Previous owner did coil packs less than 10k miles ago so hopefully those are ok

Old 05-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
i replaced the Gas Cap about a week ago, so far so good, no CEL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.