Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

"Clunk" noice in Reverse & vibration

Old 08-26-2016, 04:14 AM
RoyC is an unknown quantity at this point
"Clunk" noice in Reverse & vibration

When i go in reverse, especialy in a uphill road, as i engage and start driving i often hear a "clunk" sound. I did start a thread about some vibrations i had, but im suspecting this might be conected?

Been reading about similar problems and often its connected to the driveshaft bearing? But i dont have vibration under acceleration.

How can i check if its the bearing?

2004 Turbo 955

Old 08-26-2016, 07:09 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Here is a thread with probably pretty much everything you need to know about the driveshaft bearing issue. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ics-video.html

Your symptoms do sound like it could be the culprit and it's not that hard a fix from the looks of it. I need to look at mine next time I'm under there too just to check.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:11 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
And here is a link to the EPS bearing solution if you choose to go that route..... https://www.amazon.com/Clamping-Bear.../dp/B0063GQP6S

Old 08-27-2016, 01:31 PM
Do i understand this correct that often the bearing itself is ok, its only the "housing" around thats worn? So getting this EPS solution culd be it?

Old 08-27-2016, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by RoyC
Do i understand this correct that often the bearing itself is ok, its only the "housing" around thats worn? So getting this EPS solution culd be it?
Yes that is generally the case. You re-use the existing bearing and the EPS bracket holds it in place. Others have even used rubber hose sections tie wrapped in place and have had it work ok for long term. If you read the thread I posted all the way to the end you'll see the rubber hose solution on about page 4 and at the end of the thread the same user claims it's still going strong after a lot of years and 40k+ miles.

Last edited by jdubbya; 08-27-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:54 AM
Originally Posted by jdubbya
Yes that is generally the case. You re-use the existing bearing and the EPS bracket holds it in place. Others have even used rubber hose sections tie wrapped in place and have had it work ok for long term. If you read the thread I posted all the way to the end you'll see the rubber hose solution on about page 4 and at the end of the thread the same user claims it's still going strong after a lot of years and 40k+ miles.
Oh there was more 😂. Only read one page with the video... the EPS clamp is fairly expensive... but seem to be a good solution.

Thanks for your great and informative answers!!

Old 08-28-2016, 01:57 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
That's called the $15 "Jimi" fix. This has become quite popular - mostly I think because people feel that Porsche screwed the pooch on the design of the bearing mount, and they don't want to pay the $$$ for new driveshaft, or a rebuilt one, or the EPS clamp.

This is effectively the EPM clamp done as a DIY - and you don't have to remove anything except the old rubber..

http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-c...dan-shaft.html

There are now people with > 15,000 miles on the Jimi fix - and it appears to be holding up just fine.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:21 AM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
That metallic "thunk" is actually the play at the flex disk, just forward of the Center Support Support Bearing. Basically. your "Guibo" is going south...

Old 11-24-2016, 11:45 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm having one of the solid aluminum driveshafts from The Driveshaft Shop installed in my 2009 CTTS as a preventative measure so I never have to worry about the bearing, bearing support, or the guibo/flex plate. The car only has 28,000 miles and hasn't exhibited any signs of failure of any kind, just doing it as part of my Misha Widebody build.

I mention this because I'm going to sell the complete driveshaft assembly and flex plate (everything that comes out) if anyone is interested or in need of one. Send me a PM with offers - it should be available for shipment no later than December 2nd.