Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Torn between 09-10 CTT(S) and 11-12 CTT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 05:16 AM
Torre is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 958 S
No contest, the 958. I test drove a 955 CTT first and while it was nice I didn't even look back once I drove the 958 even though the 955 was a good bit cheaper. Both inside and out there is like a 10 year spread in appearance and technology, at the least. That being said that is only my opinion and you have to buy what you like best AFTER walking around and driving both. If in your mind all things are equal then the 955 would obviously cost less.
I don't think anyone was comparing a 955 to a 958 here (no contest there), but a 957 to a 958.

The 957 actually has some handy things that the 958 does not have, like the low range transfercase, separately opening back window etc. The 957 also has the PDCC option and since -09 the PCM3 nav system (same as in the 958). What the 957 looses in is that is has two gears less (economy), it weighs more, and looks more dated on the inside. However, I would not say that the 958 has a 'technological edge' in any significant way.

And yet (at least in my area) you can buy TWO 957 Turbos for the price of a 958.1 Turbo.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:03 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
When I owned a 955 (S, not turbo)
  • Not once did I use low-range. Never ever.
  • I never opened the back window except to close it when the switch on it screwed up and showed it as open when it wasn't.

Th0se "features" were not particularly handy to me. 955/957 things that DID annoy me:
  • The dumb heated seat controls that have no indicator that the heat is on except some barely visible numbers which aren't illuminated at night. The 3 press button on the 958 brought this feature about to where BMW had it 20 years ago.
  • The lack of illumination on the keyhole leading to fumbling around at night stabbing a key in the general vicinity of the dash opening. GOSH - they added a light on the 958. Who'da thunk it?
  • The folding backup camera which is infamous for not unfolding after a while and costing $1500 to replace from Porsche, leading most people to retrofit one that looks like the 958 one sorta.
  • The perpetually flooded footwells in the 955/957. Not a great design of the sunroof and AC drains.
  • The need to remove the headrests from the rear seat if you wanted to fold it down, then the restriction on the front seat position due to the folded down bottom rear seat cushion.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:26 AM
Torre is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deilenberger
  • Not once did I use low-range. Never ever.
I have, many times up at my country house during spring when it gets muddy.

• I never opened the back window except to close it when the switch on it screwed up and showed it as open when it wasn't.
I've found it useful for dropping in stuff when parked in tight spaces and putting long objects in the vehicle.

• The dumb heated seat controls that have no indicator that the heat is on except some barely visible numbers which aren't illuminated at night. The 3 press button on the 958 brought this feature about to where BMW had it 20 years ago.
Well, VAG parts bin eh

• The lack of illumination on the keyhole leading to fumbling around at night stabbing a key in the general vicinity of the dash opening. GOSH - they added a light on the 958. Who'da thunk it?
I have keyless ignition, so never had this issue.

• The folding backup camera which is infamous for not unfolding after a while and costing $1500 to replace from Porsche, leading most people to retrofit one that looks like the 958 one sorta.
At least it stays clean in any weather (Mine has not had any issues)

• The perpetually flooded footwells in the 955/957. Not a great design of the sunroof and AC drains.
Never had this issue either

• The need to remove the headrests from the rear seat if you wanted to fold it down, then the restriction on the front seat position due to the folded down bottom rear seat cushion.
THIS however - I could not agree more. Absolutely moronic design on the older vehicles (955/957).

Old 03-14-2017, 08:29 PM
vetkiller is on a distinguished road
If you are into looks like I am. I want a vehicle that looks like a Porsche. 2011 and on Cayennes are the ugliest cars Porsche makes. In my opinion they need to take clues from the streamlined Macan and revamp the styling. I would say for looks if you like how Nissans look spring for the newer 958 and on. If you like a truck style with a sweet sounding V8 go with the 957. My .02 (Turn Heads)...

Old 03-15-2017, 08:43 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vetkiller
If you are into looks like I am. I want a vehicle that looks like a Porsche. 2011 and on Cayennes are the ugliest cars Porsche makes. In my opinion they need to take clues from the streamlined Macan and revamp the styling. I would say for looks if you like how Nissans look spring for the newer 958 and on. If you like a truck style with a sweet sounding V8 go with the 957. My .02 (Turn Heads)...
I'll just hazard a guess - you own a 957?

Old 03-15-2017, 10:58 AM
vetkiller is on a distinguished road
Ya good guess. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. That's why I said my .02. Everyone's biased including me. Once my 957 dies I won't purchase a newer one unless they restyle them. I'll stick with Porsche cars just not the Cayennes.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:00 PM
Wamer27 is an unknown quantity at this point
I went from an 08 Turbo to an 11 Turbo a month ago and I couldn't be happier. In comparison the 08 just sucks in every way. I went from having about 520 hp and averaging 11.4 mpg to having around 675 hp and just got 530+ miles from one tank. The 100 way adjustable sport seats in 958 are so awesome, along with the entire interior. The interior of 957 is so out of date. The heated seat display on 957 doesn't turn itself off when turning vehicle off and starting it again. I could see my wife turning on the passenger and then not riding in it for weeks and if I didn't notice, seat heater would ware itself out. I dropped $23k in one year fixing everything that breaks on these (insurance paid for new pano roof due to crack, which was $13k) Both stabilizer bars with PDCC broke, didn't fix it due to cost of $3,500 range just for parts not including labor for something that doesn't do much of anything. Dealer mechanic friend programmed it so vehicle wouldn't throw a code for it.

Last edited by Wamer27; 05-29-2017 at 03:03 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.