Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Steering faulty Porsche cayenne turbo 2006

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:15 PM
RT_955TT_KY is on a distinguished road
Some good suggestions, but this sensor or probably KESSY needs to see a valid lock and unlock each time or it will error out.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:59 AM
Johnj1411 is an unknown quantity at this point
having read up a little about the durametric seams to say that it will only clear certain codes is this the case or will it in fact clear the codes i need deleting.
don't mind buying if it works

thanks guys for input and advice greatly appreciated

Old 01-25-2017, 05:52 AM
Durametric is able to clear this code on my 2004 CTT. it's also a good tool to have around for other tasks on the Cayenne as well. There may be other suitable tools, but this is the only one I have experience with. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Now this is a great "Sticky worthy" thread!

My Cayenne came back from the body shop with a broken column lock. It still unlocks and locks the best it can with ignition, and it's functional I fully expect to have a problem.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:00 PM
Mr Haney - what symptoms are you experiencing to make you think a failure is looming?

Old 01-25-2017, 05:18 PM
how do we get Porsche on board with this problem they need to take responsibility this demands a recall

Old 01-26-2017, 04:27 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RT_955TT_KY
Mr Haney - what symptoms are you experiencing to make you think a failure is looming?
I don't have a code for the steering lock yet but whatever locks the actual wheel has been sheered off? or broken somehow. When I put to the key in the wheel unlocks and turns smoothly however when the key is out you can feel the ratcheting of the wheel trying to be locked. My CTT is taken all apart so when scanned with a PIWIS I have many faults. It's an 04 with around 170K so It wouldn't surprise me if it became an issue.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:36 AM
So my steering coloum came back from EMD in sydney and still car wont work we have tried to clear any codes and power car up but no luck ,my car has been off the road for 4 months now , sent several emails to Porsche Germany NO REPLYS what a **** company �� no back up and no customer service , hVe a mecanic friend helping me out so see how we go anybody out there got direct contact with Porsche ?

Old 02-16-2017, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Johnj1411
So my steering coloum came back from EMD in sydney and still car wont work we have tried to clear any codes and power car up but no luck ,my car has been off the road for 4 months now , sent several emails to Porsche Germany NO REPLYS what a **** company �� no back up and no customer service , hVe a mecanic friend helping me out so see how we go anybody out there got direct contact with Porsche ?
What exactly did EMD do? I have seen his videos on YouTube but just like the mermaid videos, there isn't much to back anything up. I personally don't think it's Porsche's fault or that your part hasn't had a reasonable service life. You bought a vehicle with some fancy anti theft and fancy options cost you on both ends.

Once the column has been paired with the immobiliser and the memory seat control module, it becomes locked and cannot be paired again. If a new column is paired with the immobilizer but not the memory seat control module you will get 5 starts before the fault re-appears. The reason that the memory seat module is paired to the column has to do with the column telescopic/tilt/ memory functions which is controlled partially by that module as well as being coded for which equipment the vehicle has. Not all Cayenne had the tilt memory option but they all use the same column. The reason the column can only be paired once is due to theft /black market prevention as the locking wheel is part of the anti theft.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:42 PM
John - what codes are you pulling and how have you tried to reset?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:15 PM
ringnalda is on a distinguished road
Steering Faulty or "your car is now a paperweight"

This is going to become a more and more common problem as the components used in this circuitry get older. It is basically the same in the Audi A8, the VW Touareg and the Cayenne.

The official Porsche solution is to buy a new steering column, which including removal costs, replacement and recoding will run around $4000. There are some alternatives. Tom at Speedometer solutions in Chicago is very capable of fixing the actual problem, but you will need to send him the steering lock module (not too bad to remove but not for the feint of heart) as well as the kessy module and a functional key. The total cost for this depends on whether the lock was active or not, which decides if you can get the lock off with everything in place, or if you have to remove the steering column to get it removed. I would say removal costs will be around $250 or so. Tom charges $399 to repair the module and GUARANTEES his work.

The last alternative is to get all the necessary parts from a junkyard, but you will need the lock from the steering column, the kessy as well as the keys. You will then use all of the new electronics, and switch the blade from your old key. I have no idea what you could get such a set for but it will all need to be matching. Once these things are programmed, there is NO reprogramming.

I have just gone through this, and my car is back on the road after spending less than $500. Sucks but better than $4k...

Old 12-23-2017, 12:30 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ringnalda
This is going to become a more and more common problem as the components used in this circuitry get older. It is basically the same in the Audi A8, the VW Touareg and the Cayenne.

The official Porsche solution is to buy a new steering column, which including removal costs, replacement and recoding will run around $4000. There are some alternatives. Tom at Speedometer solutions in Chicago is very capable of fixing the actual problem, but you will need to send him the steering lock module (not too bad to remove but not for the feint of heart) as well as the kessy module and a functional key. The total cost for this depends on whether the lock was active or not, which decides if you can get the lock off with everything in place, or if you have to remove the steering column to get it removed. I would say removal costs will be around $250 or so. Tom charges $399 to repair the module and GUARANTEES his work.

The last alternative is to get all the necessary parts from a junkyard, but you will need the lock from the steering column, the kessy as well as the keys. You will then use all of the new electronics, and switch the blade from your old key. I have no idea what you could get such a set for but it will all need to be matching. Once these things are programmed, there is NO reprogramming.

I have just gone through this, and my car is back on the road after spending less than $500. Sucks but better than $4k...
Does this only happen to vehicles equipped with the KESSY option or any Cayenne? Which generations?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:43 PM
ringnalda is on a distinguished road
It will happen to any cayenne, the steering lock is the same on all. as is the Audi A8 and the VW Touareg. They also all should have either a kessy module or an comfort module? Whatever the key transponder 'talks' to.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:50 AM
twodan is on a distinguished road
Wife had an A6 that needed to be replaced. She suggested an SUV, after reading about this problem and other ridiculous Porsche SUV issues like coolant pipes. carrier bolt head sheared, and just too expensive maintenance repair costs, went with a 2017, 1400 mile CPO GMC Acadia. The bonus is I no longer need to clean Audi, VW, Porsche wheels every two weeks.
Sorry Porsche, lost an SUV customer. Your neglect to resolve these issues with deaf ears will cost you more than just one customer as I explain to friends why I did not buy another Porsche.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:16 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by twodan
Wife had an A6 that needed to be replaced. She suggested an SUV, after reading about this problem and other ridiculous Porsche SUV issues like coolant pipes. carrier bolt head sheared, and just too expensive maintenance repair costs, went with a 2017, 1400 mile CPO GMC Acadia. The bonus is I no longer need to clean Audi, VW, Porsche wheels every two weeks.
Sorry Porsche, lost an SUV customer. Your neglect to resolve these issues with deaf ears will cost you more than just one customer as I explain to friends why I did not buy another Porsche.
I agree with you to some extent, but if you think a GMC Acadia drives like a Cayenne then your interested more in the Utility than the Sport aspect of SUV ownership. The reason we put up with the deficiencies of these vehicles is for the driving experience and unmatched level of overall performance. Although you're happy with your decision leave the fold, you'll be back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.