Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

time for amp/sub upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:31 AM
lovethesport is on a distinguished road
time for amp/sub upgrade

i could use your expertise in car audio systems.

i have 05 cayenne with bose---it is seriously lacking bass---i see there is a sub and a amp under the spare----is there anyway to remove those and add different amp and subs---ideally alpine/jl audio....

is there any fibre optic issues i need to be aware of

any particular combination that you suggest will be appreciated in terms of amp/subs

thank you

Old 04-26-2009, 01:00 PM
acasshmoney is on a distinguished road
go to JL's website they have one for the cayenne heres the link http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1573 idk if you have heard of this or what not it may not be a loud subwoofer but im sure it is alot louder than your stock bose..

Old 04-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Just did this to my 2004 Turbo Cayenne... very simple install for me! What I did was remove the factory bose subwoofer completely and install an Alpine MP-500 mono channel amplifier in the same spot. Believe it or not but the pinout to the Bose amplifier has all the connections required to run the Alpine! Even the factory power and ground has worked fine without needing to upgrade the wiring. The factory harness has signal wires, remote turn-on, power, and ground wiring all there. I then used an Image Dynamics 10" subwoofer in a custom box that just sits in the hatch area. You could use the JL Audio Stealthbox with the Alpine as well but it is pretty pricey. Still have not taken pics of this yet but if you get the wiring diagram for the Bose subwoofer setup you can see all the wires you need to run the Alpine. David

Old 04-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Reborn996
Just did this to my 2004 Turbo Cayenne... very simple install for me! What I did was remove the factory bose subwoofer completely and install an Alpine MP-500 mono channel amplifier in the same spot. Believe it or not but the pinout to the Bose amplifier has all the connections required to run the Alpine! Even the factory power and ground has worked fine without needing to upgrade the wiring. The factory harness has signal wires, remote turn-on, power, and ground wiring all there. I then used an Image Dynamics 10" subwoofer in a custom box that just sits in the hatch area. You could use the JL Audio Stealthbox with the Alpine as well but it is pretty pricey. Still have not taken pics of this yet but if you get the wiring diagram for the Bose subwoofer setup you can see all the wires you need to run the Alpine. David

pls advise on where to get the diagram---i like youe idea as that is what i want to do---jl stealth box is pricey (4me2)---

Old 04-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Sometimes I am too nice a guy... just ran out and took some pics for you!

Name:  100_0068.jpg
Views: 10377
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  100_0071.jpg
Views: 9126
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  100_0070.jpg
Views: 7111
Size:  89.1 KB

As you can see it fits fine under the factory spare!

Name:  100_0067.jpg
Views: 16532
Size:  96.3 KB

Image Dynamics 10" sub in custom box, easy to take out when needed!

Name:  100_0065-Copy.jpg
Views: 6993
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  100_0066.jpg
Views: 6648
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  100_0072.jpg
Views: 8936
Size:  69.7 KB

Heck, here are some pics of my XM Radio install using a Dension Gateway 500 interface just for good measure!

Name:  100_0078.jpg
Views: 6890
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  100_0077.jpg
Views: 7111
Size:  68.4 KB

I have the I-pod cable run up into the non-smokers tray in the front dash as well so its easy to swap out I-pods and use them for control. Rest of the factory system is stock for now.

David

Old 04-26-2009, 05:24 PM
omg--thank you so very much--i hope i can do the same one day---

pls do me one more favour---pls advise which wire is which----ie: main power, remote power, earth, and speaker signal wires-----i see the speaker wires are going in to the amp in pairs---how did you wire these----

ps:::very clean setup---

Old 04-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Well, its pretty easy to tell with the pics I took. The large red wire (with yellow stripe) is battery power, the large brown wire is ground, the small red wire is remote turn on, the small green wire is audio signal + (I think), and the small white wire is audio signal -. The Alpine amp has two sets of wires for + and - so I just spliced them together to match the one set from the Cayenne factory harness. Took less than an hour to do this. The amp has never over heated and the factory fuse has never blown so it looks like it will work fine. The amount of bass from this setup even using the factory wiring is 100% better than the Bose setup!

David

Last edited by Reborn996; 04-26-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-26-2009, 05:58 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Quick warning about the JL Stealth box. You will spend at least 4 hours R&Ring every interior part
needed to get the box in. This includes the rear seats and a ton of interior trim. There was a post somewhere that went into details about this and warned about what a ***** it was. If you run like Reborn then its obviously far less of an issue.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Well, its pretty easy to tell with the pics I took. The large red wire (with yellow stripe) is battery power, the large brown wire is ground, the small red wire is remote turn on, the small green wire is audio signal + (I think), and the small white wire is audio signal -. The Alpine amp has two sets of wires for + and - so I just spliced them together to match the one set from the Cayenne factory harness. Took less than an hour to do this. The amp has never over heated and the factory fuse has never blown so it looks like it will work fine. The amount of bass from this setup even using the factory wiring is 100% better than the Bose setup!

David
thank you very very much--i am a novice on ice but good at other tech stuff---i will now be able to wire this myself-----

Old 04-26-2009, 06:28 PM
david

where do "ohms" come into play with your setup---how do you find the bass----do you feel you should have gone with 2 subs ---

Old 04-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Nope, the one 10" is more than enough to overpower the stock Bose system. My Image Dynamics sub is a dual voice coil setup so I am running it at 2 ohms. I have out bassed some of the local low riders with my setup!

David

Old 04-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Nope, the one 10" is more than enough to overpower the stock Bose system. My Image Dynamics sub is a dual voice coil setup so I am running it at 2 ohms. I have out bassed some of the local low riders with my setup!

David

you are the man--god bless you and thank you

navinder

Old 04-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Kerr is an unknown quantity at this point
I have bose with JBL small amp under the rear seat and the jbl sub in the box made for the porsche.

Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 PM
mikster994 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. Just bought an 04 Turbo and looking into the sound system was on my list of things to look into. On a separate note, does anyone have any ideas on upgrading the navigation CD? I have the 04 version and told that the new DVD is not compatible. Thoughts? Thanks.

Mickey
Houston, Tx

95 993
04 Cayenne Turbo
07 CLS 550

Old 04-29-2009, 01:53 PM
skier is on a distinguished road
I did almost the same thing....amp under spare with Stealth box on drivers side cargo panel. I have a bass gain **** under the steering wheel to adjust bass on the fly. I kept everything else stock. Sounds pretty good, not as clear as having a 12" sub etc and replacing all speakers but definitely a huge improvement. Didn't install myself, so I can't help you with an installation time. I'm pretty sure the Stealth Box had to be sort of jammed in there...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: time for amp/sub upgrade