Extremely Hot Steering Wheel

Old 02-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Pientkafl is on a distinguished road
Question Extremely Hot Steering Wheel

I have a 2009 Cayenne and the Steering Wheel get very very hot to touch. I have a standard air conditioning system and I don't believe I have a heated wheel as there isn't a button behind the steering wheel. I live in Florida and the temperature is near 50 degrees. I have turned off the heated seats and even the heat but it still gets very hot to the touch after a few minutes. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:14 PM
gnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant futuregnat has a brilliant future
The button on the back of the wheel is a 958 thing. My understanding of the 957 option is that you can't manually control it as it goes on and off based on the cabin temp. I don't know the full details though.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:20 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
The heated steering wheel is an option that comes on at I believe 35 deg F (or was it 50 deg F?). It should not be uncomfortably hot. Sounds like something is going on. I would contact your dealer or indy since I doubt you can pull a fuse without disabling the seat heaters.

However, if you are handy, you should be able to remove the air bag and disconnect the heating feature all together.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Pientkafl is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information. I think something more is going on as the temp is 55 degrees and the buttons for the phone / radio on the steering wheel are not working.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:29 AM
Rampino will become famous soon enough
I would get it looked at right away. It would be a bad day if the wiring for your airbag becomes part of the problem. I don't know enough about these trucks to say that would happen but it makes sense that it could.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 PM
super50 has a spectacular aura aboutsuper50 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Pientkafl
Thanks for the information. I think something more is going on as the temp is 55 degrees and the buttons for the phone / radio on the steering wheel are not working.
Did you try turning the car off completely and then turning it on again? Maybe it will reset itself.
Otherwise I would get it checked out - would not want the airbag to go off because it got cooked from a short circuit while you are driving.