Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary Cat Bypass Pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:44 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
Secondary Cat Bypass Pipes

Trying to install some secondary cat bypass pipes on my 05 cayenne turbo.

How do you get access to the nuts on the top position of the cats? I don't see any room to move and turn the ratchet after successfully getting the socket onto the nut?

The other two that I did get access to are frozen with rust. I sprayed some liquid wrench spray onto the nuts but there was no real way of even spraying the passenger side nut on the top position of the 3 nuts.

I know there are a good handful of CT owners that have these. For the ones that did it themselves can anyone lend some advice on how you gained access to the top nuts on both cats but more so on the passenger side 2ndary cat?

Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 AM
porschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant futureporschecayenne92 has a brilliant future
I send mine to porsche Workshop , they unscrew some plastics under the engine , and the colum under the transmission .My opinion is to send it to workshop . They spend 2 hourse mounting it , but its worth .

Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I have done this more than a handful of times since it comes with the territory when fabricating your own exhaust.

The best answer here is a combination of a ratcheting 13mm flex head wrench:

AND a ratcheting half moon 13mm wrench to give you the extra clearance to turn the nut around the pipe

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	gearwrench-edge.jpg
Views:	1294
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	360520   Click image for larger version

Name:	image008.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	360521  
Old 04-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
I have done this more than a handful of times since it comes with the territory when fabricating your own exhaust.

The best answer here is a combination of a ratcheting 13mm flex head wrench:

AND a ratcheting half moon 13mm wrench to give you the extra clearance to turn the nut around the pipe

Wow, I didn't even know those tools existed...knowledge is power .

I will go to sears this week and try again with both! Thank you!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 PM
The nuts are brittle and stripping (thanks for the half moon and articulating ratchet recommendations...bought both). Not enough space to get my Irwin tool sockets on the nuts any other suggestions?

Would you trust an average joe at a muffler shop wrenching the nuts off and installing the bypass pipes?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by medcap
Not enough space to get my Irwin tool sockets on the nuts any other suggestions?
I would hit it with some PB Blaster penetrating fluid and let it soak overnight. Once you are about to begin the next day, I would soak it a second time with PB fluid. However, depending on how rounded off the nuts are, this may be a lost cause.

Originally Posted by medcap
Would you trust an average joe at a muffler shop wrenching the nuts off and installing the bypass pipes?
Yes, there is little for them to mess up and they would have experience working with seized exhaust nuts.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Also, if you have the space, buy a set of Irwin nut extractors. They are made to "cut" into rounded nuts for removal in these types of situations

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	irbgxl%20(1).jpg
Views:	2289
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	373535   Click image for larger version

Name:	47043000.jpg
Views:	1616
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	373536  
Old 05-11-2014, 09:00 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
oh man^ thats a do work bolt head lol

Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by cuemaster
oh man^ thats a do work bolt head lol
hahaha.. seriously. +1....

Old 07-03-2014, 11:37 AM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Do the same specialized tools/sizes apply for the 958 bypass pipe install?
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Do the same specialized tools/sizes apply for the 958 bypass pipe install?
Thanks in advance.
These tools are not a must, it just makes the job much much easier. And yes, the 958 would have similar space constrictions, so I would advise the same.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:52 PM
For a 958, courtesy of Sharkwerks:

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/cayenn...s-exhaust.html

Old 07-04-2014, 12:02 AM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Thanks my friend! Much appreciated.
I'll post a few pics after i install my pipes sometime late next week.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:28 AM
RAKLAW has a spectacular aura aboutRAKLAW has a spectacular aura about
I had Suncoast Porsche install Fbspeed Cats for me on my 2014 CTTS.
I bought them from Suncoast as well. Simple bolt on. Nice growl on start up. Zero drone or rattle. Low rumble at all times. Nice. MPG + 1,2 on highway. Noticeable increased response upon power demand at speed. Obvious proof, when they breath better they run better.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Great to hear...thanks RAK!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Secondary Cat Bypass Pipes