Cayenne CPO?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:26 AM
VT911sc is an unknown quantity at this point
Cayenne CPO?

Hi all-
I've read and reviewed a lot of the posts, but wanted some additional input/help. I'm looking at a newer (used) Cayenne and wanted to see whether there is a CPO warranty on it...

If I call Porsche NA will they be able to tell me whether there is a CPO on it?

I've also read that it can be complicated depending on car's subsequent history. Can anyone else (besides dealer) check ? I don't currently have a relationship with a local dealer or else I'd ask them ...

Thanks for your time.
VT

Old 10-28-2016, 04:44 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Are you looking at Porsche dealers?

Technically - the only way a CPO warranty will remain in effect on a used car (assuming it was CPO'd on a past sale) is - if the vehicle is resold by a Porsche dealer. That's Porsche's rule. In my experience - they don't seem to enforce it unless the dealer brings it to their attention. That's just MY experience. YMMV and they could have changed policies since I looked at it last.

If it's at a Porsche dealership, and it's CPO'd - they undoubtedly advertise it as such. Just make certain that the CPO is in the contract to purchase - since some dealerships don't send Porsche the paperwork and $$$ until the vehicle is sold.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:31 PM
Thanks ... That is interesting about the dealer having to send in paperwork. I noticed on the AutoCheck that is said it was CPO-ed and that the DataSource was Porsche NA ... but the location it gave the local dealer's city/state.

Do you know who can make the entry that a car is CPO? Would you think that this means that the car is good to go? I'm guessing that this is the database that a Service Manager would go to when determining coverage??

Thanks again!

Old 10-28-2016, 07:10 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Again:

- Porsche dealers can initially CPO a vehicle they are selling as a used car. This process means they must inspect the vehicle and bring it up to the level that Porsche requires for coverage on a CPO warranty. It also involves paying Porsche for the CPO warranty.
- Porsche dealers can resell a vehicle that had previously been CPO'd for a prior sale - and the remainder of the CPO coverage remains in effect (if it hasn't expired.)
- Other (non-Porsche) dealers can resell a vehicle that had been CPO'd by a Porsche dealer for a prior sale - but Porsche will deny CPO coverage if they find out it was purchased from a non-Porsche dealer.
- A private party can sell their Porsche which had been CPO'd when they purchased it - and that CPO warranty carries over to the new owner (at least last time I looked..) for the remaining term of the CPO warranty.

This is why I asked if you were considering purchasing from a Porsche dealer.

The CPO details are on Porsche's website - I'd suggest spending some time there and learn enough to understand what it covers and when it covers the vehicle.

Don't believe anything you read on Autocheck or Carfax - they are notoriously incomplete and sometimes inaccurate.

Old 10-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Got your PM.. but no way to reply to it (apparently you have this turned off..)

You CAN determine the CPO status by calling any Porsche dealer and ask the service department to look it up, or calling Porsche. And if the current private owner bought it from a Porsche dealership as a CPO car - I believe the CPO can transfer to you.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:21 PM
Thanks, Don. I'm new to this forum so perhaps I don't have privileges or have the wrong setting to reply.

Anyway, I'm going to see whether I can get more information ... It looks like it was entered into the Porsche Database as being Certifed (I can't say right now, however, that the certification was actually done)... but the Porsche Dealer may not have actually completed the paperwork whe it was sold for the previous owner (perhaps because the car was still under the remaining factory warranty!), which seems pretty sketchy to me. Of course, now the car is just about out of warranty so this issue matters ...

Old 11-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Btw- I know that some Porsche dealers sell their own extended warranties, but can they also sell you a CPO warranty (assuming that it meets CPO standards)?

Old 11-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by VT911sc
Btw- I know that some Porsche dealers sell their own extended warranties, but can they also sell you a CPO warranty (assuming that it meets CPO standards)?
Sure. If the car passes the CPO certification.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.