Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Detailing Trinity: Claying, Polishing, and Waxing your way to a proper finish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 11:37 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Great tips, I'll pick some clay up. What's the best lube for it? Thanks.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 07-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
I use Adam's Detail Spray and it's pretty good.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Great tips, I'll pick some clay up. What's the best lube for it? Thanks.
Whatever clay you decide to use, stick to the recommended lube. Don't use soap and water as some may suggests. It's break down the plasticizers in the clay.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:03 PM
J_Edwards will become famous soon enoughJ_Edwards will become famous soon enough
Not only does the improper lube sometimes break down the clay prematurely, it also increases the chances of marring the paint surface. Although the clay may seem to be working effectively, using improper lube can either provide too much lubrication which makes the clay ineffective, or too little and it will mar the paint surface. Either way, it isn't really worth it.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
Moe,

Soap and water? ewwww that's disgusting and cheap a$$.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Grouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Whatever clay you decide to use, stick to the recommended lube. Don't use soap and water as some may suggests. It's break down the plasticizers in the clay.

For the most part it is the surfactants and the alkalinity that break down the clay. You can use a good quality non-detergent soap. about 1/4 oz per gallon of water and not have issues.

I long ago stopped using detail sprays for clay lube. For a very long time I used ONR 6:1 as my lube. I have recently switched to a neutral non detergent soap and had excellent results.

That being said. I also polish every time I clay and i will always clay before i polish.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:34 PM
okay. I'm new to at, bit I think when I use clay, I have to cut them in a rectangle shape and use them at a single panal. Is that right?

Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Linko4
okay. I'm new to at, bit I think when I use clay, I have to cut them in a rectangle shape and use them at a single panal. Is that right?
I usually cut my clay bar in half and get about 4-5 cars out of that one piece.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:38 PM
awww really? I cut a small piece, use it only on the bumber, and I threw little part away. Darn. Haha oops...

Old 07-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Premium Sponsor
awww really? I cut a small piece, use it only on the bumber, and I threw little part away. Darn. Haha oops...
Sometimes when the paint is really bad, you may only get that short of life out of a piece of clay. We did an X5 last week that used up a full bar of zymol lehm clay; a first in 13 years.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Oh. Well, the car I use on didn't have a bad paint job, I was just trying blend out the scratch as much as possible and it did get some out and made it less appearance.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:46 PM
JoshVette is on a distinguished road
Great write up and info on this thread.

I don't know if this forum does "stickies" or not, but if so this thread should definately be one of them.

Josh

Old 07-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by JoshVette
Great write up and info on this thread.

I don't know if this forum does "stickies" or not, but if so this thread should definately be one of them.

Josh
Thanks Josh...I wanted an educational thread that would help the DIY make sense of the correct detailing process that was focused more on the process and not the product. Glad to hear the positive response

Old 07-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Premium Sponsor
Oh. Well, the car I use on didn't have a bad paint job, I was just trying blend out the scratch as much as possible and it did get some out and made it less appearance.
Claying won't do much to fix a bad paint job. On my previous post I meant bad paint as in paint that has lots of contaminants. Polishing is really the correct step to remove, hide, or fill any swirls or scratches. Hope this clarifies.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:00 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I'll stick this thread for us as it's been very informative.

I clayed for the first time last night and could not believe how much came out of the paint. The car had so much tar and rail dust in it I had to throw the 40 gram piece out after doing the car with it. But now it looks waxed and I have not even gotten to the polishing stage yet and is nice and smooth. Amazing stuff.

I used a strong mix of Dawn dish soap and water because I wanted to strip the wax. Good tip on the non-detergent soap next time. Thanks.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Detailing Trinity: Claying, Polishing, and Waxing your way to a proper finish