Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

MoeTip: How to clean exhaust tips

Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
MoeTip: How to clean exhaust tips

Exhaust tips can sometime be an area that is often overlooked. The tips can sometimes make or break the rear view of any car. This write-up will walk you through the correct and safe technique of properly cleaning and conditioning most exhaust tips. The method below will work on any aluminum and chrome tip. If you have specific questions about your exhaust tips, please PM me prior to attempting the technique below.

Initial Condition

Step 1

Wipe down inside tips to remove initial carbon deposit using GP Yellow Microfiber Towel

After initial wipedown. This helps remove most of the soot sitting inside the tips

Notice the hard water spots etched on the outer surface of the tips

Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Step 2

Spray P21S Total Auto Wash inside and outside of the tips. The gentle citrus-based formula will begin breaking down the carbon deposit and hard water spots on the outside of the tips

Using latex gloves, take a small piece of OOOO steel wool and begin cleaning the inside and outside of the tips. Use gentle pressure initially and increase pressure as needed. Let the product and wool do most of the work

After wiping down with steel wool and P21S Total Auto Wash

GP Yellow Microfiber Towel before wiping off tips after cleaning with P21S Total Auto Wash and steel wool

Tips after wipedown

Most would, and could, stop after this step. However, being OCD, I still see room for improvement

Towel after wipe down

Last edited by MoeMistry; 11-17-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Premium Sponsor
Step 3

Zymol Metall is a mild and effective metal polish. It safely cleans all types of metal without any caustic fumes or harsh chemicals. This is an all-natural product that comes in a towelette. The strawberry and cream scent is just delicious

Allow Metall to sit for about 3-5 minutes

Here's the towelette after wiping the inside and outside of the tips. As you can see, there was some residue left behind

Using a GP Yellow Microfiber Towel, wipe off Metall to a brilliant shine and luster

Final Result

Last edited by MoeMistry; 11-17-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Pats300zx is on a distinguished road
Great write up Moe. Fantastic "tips" for sure

Old 11-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Moe,
I'll never look at exhaust tips the same way again. Thanks for the tips, so to speak.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Pats300zx
Great write up Moe. Fantastic "tips" for sure
Thanks Pat

Old 11-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by Onetime
Moe,
I'll never look at exhaust tips the same way again. Thanks for the tips, so to speak.
Glad you found this of value. Tips are usually and area that may be overlooked, but it makes such a difference when detailed properly.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Premium Sponsor
Here's another set of tips that are powder coated. I simply cleaned them with the P21S TAW and OOOO Wool on the inside and just TAW on the outside. No Metall should be used on tips like this.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Premium Sponsor
I got a resonse on my BB but I don't see it here...The question was about the inside tips of the 997 Turbo being black...The answer is yes. The inside of the turbo tips are black and using OOOO wool will remove the factory paint. I learned that the hard way You can use the TAW to clean inside the tips and the OOOO wool will work excellent on the outside of the tips. Also, you can touch up the insode of the tips if they're showing age by cleaning them well, and sraying High Temp Flat Black Paint. Make sure it's high temp paint and it's satin finish, I used Dupli Color that you can find at auto parts store.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:00 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
I use a very similar procedure to this and they look great when they are first cleaned, but unfortunately, they get all black after the first time i drive the car!!! Guess i'm running a bit rich

Old 11-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
I use a very similar procedure to this and they look great when they are first cleaned, but unfortunately, they get all black after the first time i drive the car!!! Guess i'm running a bit rich
If you make it part of your routine and clean the pipes, the carbon won't be difficult to remove.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:33 AM
Chicagobob is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the write up. Have you seen that Menzenra has a metal polish now. Have you tried it out?

Old 11-22-2008, 01:41 PM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
Awesome write-up and results I'm going out to the garage to take care of mine now! My poor baby's previous owner neglected her tips Also neglected her alloys...what do you recommend to remove baked-on stubborn brake and road grime??? Will the P21S work for that too? Obviously not steel wool...

Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by g8rdmd
Awesome write-up and results I'm going out to the garage to take care of mine now! My poor baby's previous owner neglected her tips Also neglected her alloys...what do you recommend to remove baked-on stubborn brake and road grime??? Will the P21S work for that too? Obviously not steel wool...
Glad to hear this thread inspired you The TAW should work well on your wheels. Post a picture if you can and I can better diagnose.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 AM
pushtiulk will become famous soon enoughpushtiulk will become famous soon enough
amazing. i must do this to my exhaust

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MoeTip: How to clean exhaust tips