Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Average cost of a full detail

Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Cedric will become famous soon enough
Average cost of a full detail

what is the average cost for a full detail interior and exterior for lets say a car and an medium sized SUV^
Thanks in advance guys

Old 02-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cedric
what is the average cost for a full detail interior and exterior for lets say a car and an medium sized SUV^
Thanks in advance guys
That's a very open-ended question. It's like asking a physician how much does it cost to fix my aching knee

The correct thing to ask a detailer is what types of services do you offer? You need to describe your car, it's condition, your concerns, and your expectations. Then let the detailer explain to you what the scope of work that is needed and your options.

So many times, the quality of the questions we ask will give us the same quality answer. Depending on the condition of your car, the expertise of the detailer, and your geographical location, a proper full detail should cost $300-600 for a typical porsche. If your car needs further work such as paint correction, getting rid of swirls, body work, scratch repair, etc. expect to pay more.

A detail at this price point should take about 4-6 hours on a typical porsche. Just remember this:

Ask for references
Ask to see the detailer's work from pictures or live cars
Make sure the detailer is properly insured
Make sure the detailer is competent to work on YOUR car
Don't be peeny wise and pund poor

Hope this helps

Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Banned
Envious Eric is on a distinguished road
I think Moe hit it...there are way too many variables to account for

compounding or just polishing, wetsanding areas, paint decon, or just claying

you can say an average would be 250-400, but that wouldnt include HEAVY oxidation and water etching removal or lots of embedded brake dust on the wheels...

its best to bring it to us to make sure we can see it first hand, then give you an estimate to meet your expectations (or beat them)

Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 AM
JoshVette is on a distinguished road
Yup, I totally agree with both, you need to be more specific especially refering to paint polishing or not, that will take the most time and will be a major factor in the price.

Without paint correction the detail could take 4-6 hours, add paint correction into that same detail and you're looking at 15-20 hours depending on the type of paint and condition.

Josh

Old 02-10-2009, 07:42 AM
CHAOS has a spectacular aura aboutCHAOS has a spectacular aura about
ive found that alot of people, at least the ones ive dealt with, dont understand what goes into a proper detail and the amount of time it takes. its a shame really.

ill add a +1 to the previous comments as well.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:34 PM
auto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to beholdauto concierge is a splendid one to behold
Detail cost

As already explained the SKILL of the particular service will have more of an impact on the price than all the variables combined, unless that said service undercharges for their work.

Having a mid-size suv will mean a step stool or a small ladder we be used to get the top part of the vehicle and this requires more labor, also in noticing your location in europe/africa the cost of this service in america will vary dramatically to the costs where you reside.

If you choose a qualty service (assumed) it will cost more than the bargain services, choose the quality over budjet and you will be happy you did.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
Anyone have a good detailer in south FL? Looking to get out some light scratches in the clear coat?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 AM
vvacr is on a distinguished road
What do swirl marks and small scratches come from? Someone not cleaning it properly/using old towels? Small debris not washed away before cleaning? Is it possible to keep a car's paint swirl and scratch free with only hand washing very carefully with good towels and technique and no orbital? (not talking about rock chips or anything that results from anything flung out from under the tires)

Old 02-11-2009, 04:25 AM
CHAOS has a spectacular aura aboutCHAOS has a spectacular aura about
there are a ton of things that create the swirls and such... some from improper detailing... others from just normal wear and tear...

Old 02-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Tito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud ofTito has much to be proud of
I think $500.00 is the standard price for Pro's, the problem is the time and effort that it takes to educate the customer and having him understanding why is this detail worth $500.00 when the guy down the street does it for $60.00

Regarding Swirl Marks, I have narrow them to the most common ones all do I'm sure there's many others.

The most frequent ones are

1- Automatic Car washes
2- Wrong type of Microfiber towel
3- Wrong type of wax
4- Wrong type of pads
5- Wrong type of machine
6- Harsh polishing compounds
7- Not keeping your wash mitt or sponge properly rinsed.
8- Wiping down a dusty or dirty car with a dry towel.
9- Towels and applicators containing polyester threads.
10-A dirty chamois or a chamois that has not been properly maintained
11- Using a car cover when the car or the cover is not clean.

Just my 0.02

Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vvacr
What do swirl marks and small scratches come from? Someone not cleaning it properly/using old towels? Small debris not washed away before cleaning? Is it possible to keep a car's paint swirl and scratch free with only hand washing very carefully with good towels and technique and no orbital? (not talking about rock chips or anything that results from anything flung out from under the tires)
Depending on thr car, because of the paint composition, it is possible to have the finish be above 90+% swirl-free. It requires proper wash technique, using high quality products, and patience. Many of my clients take care of their own cars and have me do a full detail every 4-6 months. Those clients that enjoy caring for their cars and have learned the correct technique, have yet to need any paint correction and their paint looks amazing, to anyone's standards.

I don't think paint correction should ever be done to a car if started on the right foot. We've shown many cars at concours or car club events that have never been machine polished and their finish is near perfect. This is because from time of delivery, the car was cared for properly. Caring for properly simply means washing rountinly, the car is garaged, and an exterior clay/polish/wax is done every 4-6 months. Simple concept in my opinion that yield grand results.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:11 PM
vvacr is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, I'll keep all that in mind when I try to keep the paint looking good and proper.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by vvacr
Thanks guys, I'll keep all that in mind when I try to keep the paint looking good and proper.

The most important step in keeping swirls off the finish is two bucket washing. Keep one bucket dedicated soley for rinsing out the dirty mitt and such and use the other bucket for only clean water and do not mix the two, wring out the mitt in the dirty bucket before you dip it back into the clean.

This will keep the dirty water and mitt off the car thus not dragging the dirt particals accross the surface cause micro scratches otherwise known as swirls and spider web scratches.

I even use a high velocity electric leaf blower to dry the car with so I'm not having to wipe it down an extra time. I do touch it up with a good clean new MF towel and some QD but I'm still not having to wipe it dry, just touch it up.

Josh

Last edited by JoshVette; 02-11-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Daniel Wendell is on a distinguished road
I charge anywhere from $450-$695 for polishing.

JOSH, HOW YA DOING MAN?

Old 02-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Daniel Wendell
I charge anywhere from $450-$695 for polishing.

JOSH, HOW YA DOING MAN?
Daniel, nice to see you on here my friend.

Just fyi, this forum is pretty particular when it comes to posting up click and brags, too many self promoters out there trying to use forums to make a buck..... But there's a lot of great detailers on here as well giving advise.

We're spoiled on autopia.

Josh

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Average cost of a full detail