Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Effects of Car Covers on Paint (good and bad)

Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 AM
SAVED4IT will become famous soon enough
Effects of Car Covers on Paint (good and bad)

Does a car cover provide a protective effect on cars that have to be left outside over night where they would normally accumulate dew on their paint? Is a car cover a good idea in this case?

On the other hand, will a car cover scratch the paint if thrown over the car while there is still dust on it? Do I have to dust her down before putting on the cover? Does a cover with microfiber interior help?

Anyone know anything about Coverking covers? Pelican recommended them.

What other benefits and detriments can you think of that I should consider in making a purchase, if you think it's a good idea. I just bought an 02 996 TT, it looks new still, and I want to do everything I can to keep it perfect. Unfortunately I have to leave it outside overnight--but she gets to stay in covered parking during the day at work!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SAVED4IT
Does a car cover provide a protective effect on cars that have to be left outside over night where they would normally accumulate dew on their paint? Is a car cover a good idea in this case?

On the other hand, will a car cover scratch the paint if thrown over the car while there is still dust on it? Do I have to dust her down before putting on the cover? Does a cover with microfiber interior help?

Anyone know anything about Coverking covers? Pelican recommended them.

What other benefits and detriments can you think of that I should consider in making a purchase, if you think it's a good idea. I just bought an 02 996 TT, it looks new still, and I want to do everything I can to keep it perfect. Unfortunately I have to leave it outside overnight--but she gets to stay in covered parking during the day at work!
IMHO, covers do more harm than good in the outdoors if the car's not being stored. The rule of thumb for covers is, if the car has been driven, don't cover it. The dust and dirt you've picked up while driving will scratch and marr the finish when you rub it with the cover.

Dusting the car prior to covering it after driving will also make things worse as you're rubbing the dirt around into the paint.

Your best bet is to not cover, give her a good detail every 4-6 months, and remember to wash every week or every other week.

As for cover king, I think they make very good covers. Just remember to buy one specifically made for your application. If buying for exterior purposes, the fabric must be breathable so moisture cannot get in but the air can.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 PM
marcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud ofmarcw has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
IMHO, covers do more harm than good in the outdoors if the car's not being stored. The rule of thumb for covers is, if the car has been driven, don't cover it. The dust and dirt you've picked up while driving will scratch and marr the finish when you rub it with the cover.

Dusting the car prior to covering it after driving will also make things worse as you're rubbing the dirt around into the paint.

Your best bet is to not cover, give her a good detail every 4-6 months, and remember to wash every week or every other week.

As for cover king, I think they make very good covers. Just remember to buy one specifically made for your application. If buying for exterior purposes, the fabric must be breathable so moisture cannot get in but the air can.

Hope this helps.
Just thinking about a cover.... I wash my car weekly (when in use) and want to cover it when its clean and not going to be used for a few weeks or so.

Thoughts?

Old 01-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by marcw
Just thinking about a cover.... I wash my car weekly (when in use) and want to cover it when its clean and not going to be used for a few weeks or so.

Thoughts?
Great plan. You should cover the car after a good wash.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Great plan. You should cover the car after a good wash.
That is the ONLY time I ever cover the car. If it goes even as much as around the block, the cover stays off.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bonehead
That is the ONLY time I ever cover the car. If it goes even as much as around the block, the cover stays off.
And thoroughly dried after washing. I know this sounds obvious to most people, but the car must be completely dry before covering.

John

Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by detailjohn
And thoroughly dried after washing. I know this sounds obvious to most people, but the car must be completely dry before covering.

John
Hey John...great to see you here as a sponsor. Welcome aboard.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Premium Sponsor
GlisteningTech is on a distinguished road
Small tip, if you are going to cover a car that you freshly washed and detailed, the best way to keep tire shine from transferring from the tires to the car cover is to cover them with plastic wrap. Just wrap the tires and wheel portions that are going to be covered with the car cover, and you are good to go.