Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Ask Moe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Jgalt will become famous soon enoughJgalt will become famous soon enough
Detailing question

Hi Moe,

It was suggested on another forum on this site that I pose the question in the detailing forum:

I'm getting ready to clay bar some of the crap out of the paint finish. Thereafter the plan is to do the full three step of wax and then polish. However, the car has a 3M shield on the front. Obviously you can't clay bar that, but what do you do about wax or polish? Or, just leave it alone?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jgalt
Hi Moe,

It was suggested on another forum on this site that I pose the question in the detailing forum:

I'm getting ready to clay bar some of the crap out of the paint finish. Thereafter the plan is to do the full three step of wax and then polish. However, the car has a 3M shield on the front. Obviously you can't clay bar that, but what do you do about wax or polish? Or, just leave it alone?
I actually DO clay the film. It depends on the quality and grit of the clay. If you use too harsh of a clay, it will scratch the film. I use Zymol Lehm Klay 3. It is aggressive enough to effectively remove contaminants, but it's gentle enough that it won't scratch the film or the paint finish.

You can also polish and wax the film as well. Use a mild polish like Menzerna Super Finish, or a paint cleanser from P21S or Zymol. As for waxing, make sure whatever wax you use does not contain yellow carnauba. I use Zymol Field Glaze to wax the film.

So treat the film just as you woulf paint. Use the right products, and you'll be fine.

Great questions. Rep points...

Old 04-01-2009, 10:49 AM
D!Tailed is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
I actually DO clay the film. It depends on the quality and grit of the clay. If you use too harsh of a clay, it will scratch the film. I use Zymol Lehm Klay 3. It is aggressive enough to effectively remove contaminants, but it's gentle enough that it won't scratch the film or the paint finish.

You can also polish and wax the film as well. Use a mild polish like Menzerna Super Finish, or a paint cleanser from P21S or Zymol. As for waxing, make sure whatever wax you use does not contain yellow carnauba. I use Zymol Field Glaze to wax the film.

So treat the film just as you woulf paint. Use the right products, and you'll be fine.

Great questions. Rep points...
What are your thoughts on prepping the film as you described and then just protecting it with something like 303 protectant? I always thought you were supposed to avoid wax on the film.

D!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D!Tailed
What are your thoughts on prepping the film as you described and then just protecting it with something like 303 protectant? I always thought you were supposed to avoid wax on the film.

D!
Waxes that contain yellow carnauba or petrochemicals are what to avoid.

I wouldn't use 303 on the film. I know some people use Plexus or Rejex, but those too will yellow the film. Just look at the nozzle and you'll see the yellowish residue.

So far, the only product I've found that's effective and easy to use is Zymol Field Glaze. It also happens to be the product of choice at Xpel headquarters in San Antonio, TX.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
D!Tailed is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Waxes that contain yellow carnauba or petrochemicals are what to avoid.

I wouldn't use 303 on the film. I know some people use Plexus or Rejex, but those too will yellow the film. Just look at the nozzle and you'll see the yellowish residue.

So far, the only product I've found that's effective and easy to use is Zymol Field Glaze. It also happens to be the product of choice at Xpel headquarters in San Antonio, TX.
Yeah, I've always used Plexus for the film, but then I thought you were supposed to top that with 303.

Good info to know!

Thanks Moe!

D!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:01 AM
911-fanatic has a spectacular aura about911-fanatic has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by D!Tailed
May I add that if some of the white "foam" stuff that is in between the wheel and the weights is still there, you can sometimes carefully use a heat gun and heat it up a little bit and most of it will peel right off and take the sticky part with it. Depends on how long it's been on there though, but I've had good luck with that as well.

D!
If I can add something here as well, Autoglym Tar & Adhesive Remover is great for removing the residue left by wheel weights. Spray on, let it soak in and agitate with a MF. That should clean it right up for you.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by 911-fanatic
If I can add something here as well, Autoglym Tar & Adhesive Remover is great for removing the residue left by wheel weights. Spray on, let it soak in and agitate with a MF. That should clean it right up for you.
Autoglym makes some very good products. I'll have to give the Tar and Adhesive remover a try.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:55 AM
mburns813 will become famous soon enoughmburns813 will become famous soon enough
Moe, I purchased some products from you a while back and just recently and I have a couple of questions. How safe is Top Inspection for the interior? I've used it for dusting and cleaning and spot cleaning on leather and vinyl and it works very well. I do have CG leather cleaner but I always use top inspection. Also, how many coats of Zymol Titanium should I apply if I was planning on using JetSeal 109 and then the Titanium. Should I use one or two coats?

Thanks

Old 04-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by mburns813
Moe, I purchased some products from you a while back and just recently and I have a couple of questions. How safe is Top Inspection for the interior? I've used it for dusting and cleaning and spot cleaning on leather and vinyl and it works very well. I do have CG leather cleaner but I always use top inspection. Also, how many coats of Zymol Titanium should I apply if I was planning on using JetSeal 109 and then the Titanium. Should I use one or two coats?

Thanks
You should not be using Top Inspection on the interior. It has solvents in there designed to remove oil from the paint when polishing.

Did you ever get the Autoglym Interior Shampoo ? That's the proper cleaner for leather, vinyl, carpets, alcantara, etc.

As for applying titanium on top of jet seal, the third layer of any zymol wax seems to be the perfect one. Any more and it's kind of counterproductive. Technically, you're not suppose to apply zymol on top of any synthetic, but I know others have had great results. I personally would HD cleanse, then apply three layers of Titanium, waiting 24 hours between each layer.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:15 AM
mburns813 will become famous soon enoughmburns813 will become famous soon enough
OK, from now on I will not use it, thank you. With the HD Cleanse you apply it and then do you wipe it all off or just lightly buff it? I have Chemical Guys leather cleaner, conditioner, and carpet shampoo but I need something for Vinyl and cleaning. What about the ****pit premium?

Thanks

Old 04-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Premium Sponsor
OK, from now on I will not use it, thank you. With the HD Cleanse you apply it and then do you wipe it all off or just lightly buff it? I have Chemical Guys leather cleaner, conditioner, and carpet shampoo but I need something for Vinyl and cleaning. What about the ****pit premium?

Thanks
HD Cleanse is a pre-cleanser for the wax. So you treat it like a polish. Apply it by hand working it into the paint. If done properly, it is almost transparent and then you wipe it off.

As for ****pit premium, it's really like a detail spray for the interior. It kind of cleans and it also protects a bit. But it's not really a protectant like leather or vinyl conditioner...and it's not really a cleaner. Does that make sense?

Old 04-05-2009, 05:31 PM
How hard do you wipe the HD Cleanse off? With a lot of force or just pass over it with a microfiber? Would Top Inspection help remove it and not recontaminate the surface? As for the interior, do you recommend any other products since I already have everything except a cleaner and duster.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Premium Sponsor
How hard do you wipe the HD Cleanse off? With a lot of force or just pass over it with a microfiber? Would Top Inspection help remove it and not recontaminate the surface? As for the interior, do you recommend any other products since I already have everything except a cleaner and duster.
You don't want to completely remove hd with a cleaner like Top Inspection. You want the oils in hd to stay in the paint. I use Zymol Detail Spray on a polishing cloth to remove hd cleanse.

Use this interior cleaner....from england and works like a charm.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:56 AM
JL993 is a jewel in the roughJL993 is a jewel in the roughJL993 is a jewel in the rough
Odd Question : Avoiding Bird Droppings !!

I am having a lot of Bird Droppings in my Exterior Mirrors although I folded the Mirrors the Birds still use it as a Nest .

So as soon as I wake up in the morning I need to clean their things. Are there any chemical or liquid that with the odor the birds will stay away from my Car ? Any other ideas ? .

I love the sound of birds in the Morning but not his s"#$ !!!

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by JL993
I am having a lot of Bird Droppings in my Exterior Mirrors although I folded the Mirrors the Birds still use it as a Nest .

So as soon as I wake up in the morning I need to clean their things. Are there any chemical or liquid that with the odor the birds will stay away from my Car ? Any other ideas ? .

I love the sound of birds in the Morning but not his s"#$ !!!

Thanks.
That's an interesting question. I'll do some research and see what odors birds don't like. I know it sounds crazy, but how about covering the mirrors before going in for the night. You can use those glad cling wraps. So all you do is come out and take the wrap off and you're outta there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ask Moe