Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

How do you remove/clean grease

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
How do you remove/clean grease

I have two spots of grease on either side of my Porsche's black convertible top where the front of the top starts to fold when opened. Am assuming it's coming from the hing where the two parts come together. What should I use to remove the grease from the fabric top ?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dadio
I have two spots of grease on either side of my Porsche's black convertible top where the front of the top starts to fold when opened. Am assuming it's coming from the hing where the two parts come together. What should I use to remove the grease from the fabric top ?
I'm pretty sure those spots are going to show up as the time goes...wear and tear.

However, if you think it's grease and need a good cleaner, use this:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ttle%2C/Detail

It's also a great product to use on the carpets and headliner.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Appreciate the response. The spots are definitely grease and not wear as the top is smooth and un-abraided in the area of the spots and as there are located in the same place on both sides of the top my guess is the grease, which appears to a silicon grease based on the color of spots themselves, is coming from some part of the top raising mechanism itself. Will deal with that once I find out how to get the grease off the top. Is there anything you can suggest that I'm likely to have on hand that won't negatively affect the fabric of the top that's stronger than the Porsche top shampoo I have already tried on the spots ? Any idea if GooGone is safe for the german cloth fabric if I follow it up with the Porsche Top Shampoo ? I don want to experiment on it and have wind up looking worse than it does now. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dadio
Appreciate the response. The spots are definitely grease and not wear as the top is smooth and un-abraided in the area of the spots and as there are located in the same place on both sides of the top my guess is the grease, which appears to a silicon grease based on the color of spots themselves, is coming from some part of the top raising mechanism itself. Will deal with that once I find out how to get the grease off the top. Is there anything you can suggest that I'm likely to have on hand that won't negatively affect the fabric of the top that's stronger than the Porsche top shampoo I have already tried on the spots ? Any idea if GooGone is safe for the german cloth fabric if I follow it up with the Porsche Top Shampoo ? I don want to experiment on it and have wind up looking worse than it does now. Thanks.
Try cleaning it with liquid Tide, no bleach, and warm water. Use a soft bristle brush and wipe with microfiber towel.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 06-27-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:01 AM
TOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to beholdTOGWT is a splendid one to behold
  • Apply fabric cleaner (Harrtz RaggTop Cleaner) with a clean, damp applicator and leave to penetrate fabric for 10 – 20 minutes dependent upon stain. Gently scrub using a soft brush to get into the texture of the fabric.
  • Repeat if necessary; applying two light coats are better than the application of one heavy coat: allow drying thoroughly between coats.
  • Rinse off using a low-pressure water hose and a soft horsehair brush
  • Dry with a waffle weave Microfiber towel using a blotting motion to dry excess moisture.
  • Allow the fabric to dry for as long as possible (preferably 24-hours) before using the protectant. An hour or two isn’t long enough, it may feel dry but that’s only the uppermost surface layer (using a protectant on a damp fabric will ‘seal in’ the moisture and encourage the formation of mildew)
  • Apply a fabric protector (Harrtz RaggTop Protectant) on the dry fabric, keeping about 6-8 inches above surface and using a back and forth movements spray lightly but do not soak.