Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Any downside to Opticoat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:08 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
Any downside to Opticoat?

Did a search, but could not find anything on this question. I plan to have a new car full hood/fenders/bumper protected with Exel Ultimate and have the wheels and body treated with Opticoat. I expect that Opticoat will make keeping the wheels and the body a lot easier to clean. I have used Ultima Paint Guard Plus for about the past 8-9 years and find that it is optically extremely good and is also durable through New England winters. Can I continue to use it on the Expel and Opticoat surfaces without any problems? Of course, if the Opticoat maintains the shine, I won't have to treat it at all.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:27 AM
handdoc will become famous soon enough
if i were you i'd take it to rick nelson at unique car care in stoneham and let him sort it out...he's the best

Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
I met with Rick the other day and will have him do the work. Might even flatbed the TT to him rather than risk stonechips on the drive from the dealer to Stoneham.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:59 PM
theres no one better, he does all of my cars and has for years
just let him figure out whats needed, mention me and maybe you will get a better deal!

Old 04-15-2014, 05:23 AM
Rick Nelson

Does Rick know you by you UN?

Originally Posted by handdoc
theres no one better, he does all of my cars and has for years
just let him figure out whats needed, mention me and maybe you will get a better deal!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Steve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to behold
Rick did my black 996TT last year. I use to detail in a previous life. He made my car look amazing. I could never have done what he did (and I'm actually pretty good). Going to hit him up again this year.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:39 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
I have Optiocoat 2.0 on 2 of my vehicles and its been there for 2 years. Optically and protection wise, there is no downside. It is by far the most protective against micro marring and clean ups are much easier as nothing sticks. The surface is not as slick feeling as you are used to with the Ultima Paint Guard Plus but that is not the biggest deal.

I would use again. Your wheels will clean up so easily.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:22 PM
MJM911 is a splendid one to beholdMJM911 is a splendid one to beholdMJM911 is a splendid one to beholdMJM911 is a splendid one to beholdMJM911 is a splendid one to beholdMJM911 is a splendid one to beholdMJM911 is a splendid one to beholdMJM911 is a splendid one to behold
Have any of you guys with XPEL on your front ends had the LED headlights covered in XPEL as well? If so, any issues with de-laminating?

I had not heard of this issue until I read through this thread: http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/8...eadlights.html

Old 10-19-2014, 08:25 PM
i have it on everything on all of my cars and have had no issues, including in the new england winters

Old 10-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Delamination of LED lense covers

Originally Posted by MJM911
Have any of you guys with XPEL on your front ends had the LED headlights covered in XPEL as well? If so, any issues with de-laminating?

I had not heard of this issue until I read through this thread: http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/8...eadlights.html
My understanding from Rick at Unique Car Care who applied Expel ultimate and Opticoat of my TTS in July is that he had heard about problems with protective film over LED outer lenses on the 991. Therefore, he did not apply it over the headlight lenses on my car. Better safe than sorry. He also did not recommend application of protective film over the windshield for regulatory reasons. I realize that there is a protective windshield film that among other places is advertised in the PCA magazines, but I have not tried it.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
So, after speaking with a few of my clear bra installer friends, we are no longer installing headlight protection on 991s, Boxsters, and Caymans. So far, our track record is perfect and we've not had any issues on the newer generations, but as we all know, in this case, risk is not worth the reward. Until we get word that Porsche has done something new about the coating on headlights, we'll be omitting this from our installs. Perhaps the new coating will prevent the yellowing of headlights that begins to happen a few years into ownership.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:35 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
I have the 3m product on my 997.2 zero issues to date. Done by detailing dynamics