Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

How Much to Tip a Detailer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 02:17 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Its a bit of a hike, but Phil from Detailers Domain is the closest Guy I would know to recommend. He is in Northern NJ, and does absolutely amazing work and I know you would be satisfied.

Originally Posted by HyperDrive
Thanks for your input. I live in Maryland, approximately 20 miles from the DC line.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:09 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
The only thing I would add is, you get what you pay for. $453 for 3 cars is approx $120 per car. A really good detailer will charge upwards of $500 for one car to do a real good minor paint correction and full detail. I would say this price was not for this level of work or could meet your expectations not saying that is a reason for poor work.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:16 AM
agentf1 will become famous soon enoughagentf1 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by HyperDrive
Unfortunately I can't say all's well that ends well. The work performed was far below my expectations. The first vehicle I checked was my daughter's Xterra, and there were several places that obviously needed to be addressed. I opened the glove compartment and could leave marks in the dust with my fingers there. I opened the gas cap cover door, and not only was it not cleaned, there was still a water in there. The outside plastic had been heavily oxidized and I asked if there was something they could do to address that (I have product that will darken areas like this). They wiped it a bit but no improvement. I also asked if the interior plastic had been wiped down with an interior/exterior cleaner/protection such as Armor All, and the owner told me they usually don't do that unless someone asks for it. What?! I would think they would ask NOT to do it first rather than the other way around. Sheesh!

In checking my G8 GT, the first thing I noticed was that the exterior finish didn't feel as smooth as the GT-R (I could feel contaminants, old wax, etc., underneath), and did they clay bar it? They said they did, but went over it again, and finished with an application of a carnauba wax. The honey comb plastic in the front grill and above the bumper had not been individually cleaned and Armor All'd.

The GT-R's interior plastic areas had not been Armor All'd. When I popped the hood, there was water pooled up about the area of the bottom of the windshield wipers and the inside edges of the hood still had water on them. The inside of the gas cap area still had water inside and was not cleaned.

They started at approximately 9:45-10:00 a.m. and were finished by 3:30 or so for three vehicles. All in all, it was what I would consider a, "super wash", with a quasi detailing, or something I would have done to a vehicle with about two to three hours' time for each vehicle. In the end the cars looked good, but not great. Some people may feel I am too demanding, but when I purchase a total interior and exterior vehicle detailing, that's what I expect, going over EVERY DETAIL of the car. Otherwise, I can do it myself. I expect that when I pay a, "Professional" Car Detailer, that I'm going to receive professional results.

The total for three vehicles was $453.50. I paid the owner, and I gave his employee $40 cash, but nothing to the owner. Maybe my expectations were too high, but now I feel I shouldn't have paid more than $200 to $250 for all three cars, after looking at the results. I will NEVER use this person again. I'm questioned now the 4 to 5 star rating this business had in Google reviews and Yelp. Caveat Emptor.
I am not saying you should of had any of those issues but at $453 (approx 150 a car) I really would not expect much more than a wash and cleaner wax with an interior wipe down and dressing. I certainly would not expect any paint correction or heavy duty cleaning of carpets etc at that rock bottom price. That said everything should have been cleaned properly and your interior, trim and tires etc should have been properly dressed. A good 1 step paint polish and detail job usually starts at around $250 to $350, usually closer to the latter.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:08 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
there's too many "professional" detailers nowadays
I would not go by reviews....it's a good guideline but you never know who posts those review as I've seen family members review
I would have done 1 car and see how it goes
6 hours for 3 cars is way too short for a "complete" detail

Old 01-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Duff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond reputeDuff0000 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
The only thing I would add is, you get what you pay for. $453 for 3 cars is approx $120 per car. A really good detailer will charge upwards of $500 for one car to do a real good minor paint correction and full detail. I would say this price was not for this level of work or could meet your expectations not saying that is a reason for poor work.
X2

at around $120 per car you are not going to get a good detail. Especially if they are only spending 2 hours per car.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:53 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
I believe you got more that what you paid for, to be honest. That's basically $150 per car, and one of them is an SUV. You gotta do your homework and match up your expectations with the detailer. If you're OCD and expect perfection, there excellent guys in every market that would be a great match, however, don't expect to pay car wash or quickie mobile detailing prices. To be safe, in most markets, a proper high-level service by a qualified professional detailer will start at $500, and by the time you've done paint correction and/or nano coatings, you're in the $1500-2000 price point. Hope this helps and puts you at ease that at least you didn't get ripped off.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:51 PM
landshark is on a distinguished road
As other said, for that price, it's kind of expected for the level of the work. A decent detailing job for interior & exterior , without any polishing, should be around 5-7hrs per car. At least that's the time I spent on clients cars.

If you have any questions about detailing, feel free to let me know as I'm in the DMV area too. (Silver Spring MD)

Old 04-04-2015, 05:55 AM
HyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really nice
Originally Posted by landshark
As other said, for that price, it's kind of expected for the level of the work. A decent detailing job for interior & exterior , without any polishing, should be around 5-7hrs per car. At least that's the time I spent on clients cars.

If you have any questions about detailing, feel free to let me know as I'm in the DMV area too. (Silver Spring MD)
My issue was that I found several things on my vehicles that I felt should have been addressed and were not. OCD? Perhaps so, but if I pay someone to detail a vehicle, I expect a full detail, not a, "super wash", otherwise it should be advertised as such. For example, I had to point out to the detailer that none of the plastic pieces in the interior were dressed, the gas cap area was totally untouched, as were the door sills and other areas like that. Plus no clay bar was performed. I can see not doing any paint correction unless that is negotiated up front, but if you say you're detailing a vehicle, then unless I'm mistaken it should include clay bar treatment by default.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:56 AM
HyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really nice
Originally Posted by landshark

PM me your store info so I can keep that for future work.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:21 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
the word detail is the problem as it ranges from car wash to complete correction for other.

If you need one of the best on the east coast, contact me. I am about 45 minutes away from DC (VA side). But if you are looking for quality work, I can provide.