Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

How Much to Tip a Detailer?

Old 12-26-2014, 09:27 AM
HyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really nice
Question How Much to Tip a Detailer?

I plan to have my GT-R, G8 GT, and Xterra fully detailed tomorrow (including clay bar). The total price will be $463.50. The work will be performed by the owner of the mobile detailing company I'm hiring, with one of his co-workers. How much should I tip, assuming they do a good job?

Old 12-29-2014, 08:05 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
10% if it's just 'ok' work to 20% if you are extremely satisfied.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-30-2014, 04:58 AM
HyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really niceHyperDrive is just really nice
Originally Posted by HyperDrive
I plan to have my GT-R, G8 GT, and Xterra fully detailed tomorrow (including clay bar). The total price will be $463.50. The work will be performed by the owner of the mobile detailing company I'm hiring, with one of his co-workers. How much should I tip, assuming they do a good job?
Unfortunately I can't say all's well that ends well. The work performed was far below my expectations. The first vehicle I checked was my daughter's Xterra, and there were several places that obviously needed to be addressed. I opened the glove compartment and could leave marks in the dust with my fingers there. I opened the gas cap cover door, and not only was it not cleaned, there was still a water in there. The outside plastic had been heavily oxidized and I asked if there was something they could do to address that (I have product that will darken areas like this). They wiped it a bit but no improvement. I also asked if the interior plastic had been wiped down with an interior/exterior cleaner/protection such as Armor All, and the owner told me they usually don't do that unless someone asks for it. What?! I would think they would ask NOT to do it first rather than the other way around. Sheesh!

In checking my G8 GT, the first thing I noticed was that the exterior finish didn't feel as smooth as the GT-R (I could feel contaminants, old wax, etc., underneath), and did they clay bar it? They said they did, but went over it again, and finished with an application of a carnauba wax. The honey comb plastic in the front grill and above the bumper had not been individually cleaned and Armor All'd.

The GT-R's interior plastic areas had not been Armor All'd. When I popped the hood, there was water pooled up about the area of the bottom of the windshield wipers and the inside edges of the hood still had water on them. The inside of the gas cap area still had water inside and was not cleaned.

They started at approximately 9:45-10:00 a.m. and were finished by 3:30 or so for three vehicles. All in all, it was what I would consider a, "super wash", with a quasi detailing, or something I would have done to a vehicle with about two to three hours' time for each vehicle. In the end the cars looked good, but not great. Some people may feel I am too demanding, but when I purchase a total interior and exterior vehicle detailing, that's what I expect, going over EVERY DETAIL of the car. Otherwise, I can do it myself. I expect that when I pay a, "Professional" Car Detailer, that I'm going to receive professional results.

The total for three vehicles was $453.50. I paid the owner, and I gave his employee $40 cash, but nothing to the owner. Maybe my expectations were too high, but now I feel I shouldn't have paid more than $200 to $250 for all three cars, after looking at the results. I will NEVER use this person again. I'm questioned now the 4 to 5 star rating this business had in Google reviews and Yelp. Caveat Emptor.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:52 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
That's too bad. Sorry to hear this. The only thing you can do possibly is get recommendations from people that have had work done before...as well as look at online reviews, however, as you found out, they can be inaccurate.

I hope you get them squared away soon!

Old 12-31-2014, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
That's too bad. Sorry to hear this. The only thing you can do possibly is get recommendations from people that have had work done before...as well as look at online reviews, however, as you found out, they can be inaccurate.

I hope you get them squared away soon!
I've already provided my feedback to the mobile detailing company owner, but not a peep back from them. I think that's kind of telling in itself. Not that I expected them to come back and offer to comp me, but at least acknowledge that the work they performed was much below expectations. Here's another, kind of, red flag. Since I knew the owner and his employee would be at my house for the day, I told them that I'd be buying them some lunch from McDonald's, Burger King, etc., and did they have any dietary restrictions? They said no. Later, when I was leaving, the owner told me, "Get us chicken sandwiches". I guess I would have expected them to at least put up a half-hearted, "Oh, you don't have to do that", but there was none.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:35 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
The level of service from detailers can be all across the board, as you have just related. Your location isn't noted - I just hope they are not in my market!! I do most of my own detailing....like 100%...so I cannot comment on tipping, etc...but it sounds like you did the right thing. Good luck with the NEXT outfit you hire...maybe they can provide real references that you can call.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:35 PM
supra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant future
Damn, you made the same thread over on gtrlife....

Old 01-01-2015, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by supra.z06
Damn, you made the same thread over on gtrlife.....
Yes, I did, as this forum and the GT-R Life forum are two distinct message boards, at least in my opinion, and was really valuing members' opinions. And most did respond, for which I am very grateful. I didn't know there was a limit on where we could post, but sorry if that bothered you so much.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Slik560
The level of service from detailers can be all across the board, as you have just related. Your location isn't noted - I just hope they are not in my market!! I do most of my own detailing....like 100%...so I cannot comment on tipping, etc...but it sounds like you did the right thing. Good luck with the NEXT outfit you hire...maybe they can provide real references that you can call.
Well, I picked this outfit based upon consumer ratings first, and the price came second. Unfortunately, I made a bad selection and paid for it. Not that the company didn't something bad to my vehicles, just that, well, I guess I got what I paid for. Caveat emptor, said Mike Brady, lol.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:15 PM
supra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant future
Yes, I did, as this forum and the GT-R Life forum are two distinct message boards, at least in my opinion, and was really valuing members' opinions. And most did respond, for which I am very grateful. I didn't know there was a limit on where we could post, but sorry if that bothered you so much.
You sure are sensitive.....

Old 01-01-2015, 05:34 PM
You sure are sensitive.....
Aren't you the one that referred to me as an, "...atttention *****" (Sorry for the vulgar reference folks)? You're the member that intruded into an otherwise civil discussion on here. Please leave me alone if you don't have anything relevant to add to this post.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:41 PM
Aren't you the one that referred to me as an, "...atttention *****" (Sorry for the vulgar reference folks)? You're the member that intruded into an otherwise civil discussion on here. Please leave me alone if you don't have anything relevant to add to this post.
Not me. Don't be so sensitive, it is the internet....

Old 01-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Not me. Don't be so sensitive, it is the internet....
No, one of your original posts was edited, and it specifically referred to me as an, "...attention *****". That's the issue I had with you. No one else on this thread was confrontational as you are. I'm sorry, but I would never address another member with such a vulgar term. Yes, this is the Internet, in which we are all communicating with people from various and diverse walks of life. And all the more reason to be careful how we address one another. If you don't like or are interested in someone's post, just move on.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:12 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Mr hyper not sure where your located or what your idea of detailing is but your first clue that this was to be a sub par job was the price for 3 cars. Sorry to say it but the price was too cheap to expect quality work here.

If you let us know your location I am sure a member can refer you to a quality detailer. If your in ny, northern NJ or San Diego I can refer you to guys I know do excellent work.

Good luck

Old 01-04-2015, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by JSF721
Mr hyper not sure where your located or what your idea of detailing is but your first clue that this was to be a sub par job was the price for 3 cars. Sorry to say it but the price was too cheap to expect quality work here.

If you let us know your location I am sure a member can refer you to a quality detailer. If your in ny, northern NJ or San Diego I can refer you to guys I know do excellent work.

Good luck
Thanks for your input. I live in Maryland, approximately 20 miles from the DC line.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Much to Tip a Detailer?