Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Condition, seal, wax sequence?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
Condition, seal, wax sequence?

My paint/clear coat is in great shape. You can only see some micro scratches from washing or using a Cal duster with a quick detatiling spray if your in brite lights or the sun is just right.

I'm buying some Menzerna Intensive Polish, Final Polish II and Klasse AIO. I already have P21S for wax. Since my paint is in great condition, I would start by claying the car, then FP II, then AIO and wax with P21S. I'm buying Lake County pads/Porter pad holder and would use a white pad for FP II and AIO then a black pad for wax, or should I wax by hand. I bought a Porter 7336 FP random orbital machine a few years ago that I've never used - is this machine o.k. I've included some pictures of my car. Thanks a lot.

Ken

Last edited by Ken7258; 03-25-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:51 PM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
It wont make a difference if you do it by hand or by machine, I like to do the final step by hand because I actually like to feel how smooth the paint is and massage the carnuba in, but this is all mental

Old 03-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
You don't need the black pad for the wax. As mentioned before, do it by hand. The porter cable you have is a great tool. Keep the seting at 4.5 and take your time. I'd go about an inch every 2-3 seconds.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Ken7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the roughKen7258 is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the responses. Moe, a detailer was referred to me by a high end clear bra installer that says this guy does an incredible job. I talked to the guy and he uses the exact same products I was going to use. Wash, clay, Menzerna FP II, Klasses AIO and P21S. He also cleans the interior, engine and wheels. I was told the cars look much better then new when he's done. He charges 169.00 and comes to your house. This sounds like a great deal. What do you think? I do like cleaning my own car, but at this price why not start the summer off right and I just have to wax every now and then during the next few months. Thanks.

Ken

Old 03-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
At $169, it's way too low. Is he machine polishing, and with what? Is it a high-speed like DeWalt or Makita or a dual action like porter cable? Is he detailing the intrerior or just cleaning; vacuuming and wiping down. I know a detail at my company takes about 7-9 hours on a porsche if I have to machine polish. Ask for some references and pictures of his work. I just think that's too low of a price for that much work.